Old 17-06-2007, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Its still raining

"Beryl Harwood" wrote in message
The message

Is the Farend accommodation dog friendly?

Farend may be dog friendly but sadly our Border Collie can be very grouchy
with other dogs so we do not accept dogs at present.

Mike

http://www.twango.com/channel/Muddymike.Garden

Old 17-06-2007, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

It stopped long enough to cut the lawns, result. Now the sun is shining.

Mike (not so soggy now)

Old 17-06-2007, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

" wrote in
message
oups.com...
On Jun 17, 9:31 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

We haven't a well in the garden
nor a pump but if mains water failed we have a large store in the
butts
which we'd be prepared to use. We did the other day when emergency
work
left
the taps dry for a short time (we didn't know how long it would be).

Of course you would need to put your butt water into the elecric
kettle to boil it in case any larvae are in it,

?

What kind of larvae?

If it's anything like my grandparents' rainwater supply; mosquito
larvae, daphnia and wrigglers, a red hair-worm (When we opened the lid,
they all started darting about; of course there must have been many more
invisible to the human eye) All 3 are completely harmless if you
swallow them. I used to trawl for them with granny's seive, to feed them
to my fish.

Janet.

But our butts are securely covered, no animal life can get in them and since
they're dark plant life (e.g. algae) can't live in them either. Mosquito
larvae need open water, I'm never seen daphnia or 'wrigglers' even in our
pond. I wish I did ...

Mary

Old 17-06-2007, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Beryl Harwood" wrote in message
I have taken some more pics of the soggy garden - Mary it may make you
feel a bit better!

If you want to ....

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/bharwood/gardenjune2007/

Wish I could get some pics of the visitors, particularly the feathered
ones, but my camera cannot cope with the double glazing and I can't get
out without them scattering

Cheers
Beryl

I can't open it :-(

Mary

Old 17-06-2007, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 17, 4:11 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

What kind of larvae?

Mozzie larvae?

The butts aren't open, mosquitoes need open water.

We have plenty of wood with which to make a fire but I reckon that
filtering
the water would make it usable.

Aah, I didn't know you filter, that should remove the larvae and bits.

We've never filtered to day. If we saw anything living in the water we
would.

People lived for millenia without treated water - they were our ancestors
:-)

Mary

Judith

Old 17-06-2007, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
It stopped long enough to cut the lawns, result. Now the sun is shining.

Mike (not so soggy now)

Yes, it stopped long enough for spouse and No 1 son to take down a
neighbour's greenhouse, then it began again!

Mary

Old 18-06-2007, 12:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Jennifer Sparkes contains these words:

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

"Beryl Harwood" wrote in message
I have taken some more pics of the soggy garden - Mary it may make you
feel a bit better!

If you want to ....

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/bharwood/gardenjune2007/

Wish I could get some pics of the visitors, particularly the feathered
ones, but my camera cannot cope with the double glazing and I can't get
out without them scattering

Cheers
Beryl

I can't open it :-(

No problem here - opened just fine.

Jennifer

Mary try opening the main site first -
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/bharwood/
once that's open then add the -
gardenjune2007/

That's how I checked it.
Pleased you had no probelm Jennifer. I was beginning to wonder if you
posted or lurked as this is the first time I have seen you in the group
It's much busier than .local at present.

Beryl
Old 18-06-2007, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Beryl Harwood" wrote in message

I can't open it :-(

No problem here - opened just fine.

Jennifer

Mary try opening the main site first -
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/bharwood/
once that's open then add the -
gardenjune2007/

Got it, thanks.

Only your rose looks sorry for itself though.

I'm eushing, preparing to go to Wales tomorrow so no more just now. Have to
weed one veg plot before we go or it won't be visible when we get back!

Mary

Old 18-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1974x View Post
Im new here but also have a problem with the rain we have had the last few days. My lupins are all lying flat ..... going to stake them back up to see if that makes a difference.

But what i really wanted to know is .... summer pots I have planted up are also now flat .... litteraly like someone has sat on them.

I have a huge pot out the front and that has "mimulas" in. Everyone who passes the house comments on how lovely it looked. But now even that is lying flat.

I have checked all the stalkes etc and nothing appears broken but they are lying flat. Instead of standing tall, they are lying lifeless looking and lying all drapped over the edges of the pots.

What I dont know (being newbie gardener) is will they just spring back up in a day or two, or do i need to do anything? or are they ruined?

If someone could please advise I would be very very grateful. I have posted on the main forum but no one has answered and I wanted idealling to get out there and do something with them today if need be while its actually not raining!

Still havent a clue and both my posts seems to be getting ignored
Old 18-06-2007, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 17, 7:52 pm, Beryl Harwood wrote:
The message .com
from " contains
these words:

On Jun 17, 5:59 pm, Beryl Harwood wrote:

Oh, good luck with all that. Pity though as you are not far from me!

Wot! in France or here - where are you???

I wish!! No here. just down the road really

Beryl, Cheshire, is not just down the road!!!!! You are probably
nearer to me in France than you are in England!!!!!

Judith

Old 18-06-2007, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 18, 12:17 am, Beryl Harwood wrote:
That's how I checked it.
Pleased you had no probelm Jennifer. I was beginning to wonder if you
posted or lurked as this is the first time I have seen you in the group
It's much busier than .local at present.

Our Jennifer is a regular and a well loved one at that.

Judith

Old 18-06-2007, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 18, 12:17 am, Beryl Harwood wrote:

If you want to ....

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/bharwood/gardenjune2007/

Beryl, your cakes are fabulous, do you do private commissions?

Your grandchildren are adorable, nearly as adorable as mine.

Judith

Old 18-06-2007, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message . com
from " contains
these words:

On Jun 18, 12:17 am, Beryl Harwood wrote:

If you want to ....

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/bharwood/gardenjune2007/

Beryl, your cakes are fabulous, do you do private commissions?

Your grandchildren are adorable, nearly as adorable as mine.

Thank you, I am pleased you have enjoyed looking at them. All my
cakes are private commissions.
I am not running as a business at present. I did when I was in
Morecambe, but moving to a new area where I knew no one [except my
daughter] killed that and of course then there are all the Health and
Safety regs with a very small kitchen and no way of building a utility
or work room.

However I do still do cakes for people who 'know' be by one means or
another [firend of a friend etc]. You can see some more if you fancy a
trawl through some of the Zetnet meetings as I ususally make one for
those, oh and Jennifer appears in some of those too

I currently have a wedding cake on the go [for the day after I leave for
two weeks holiday] together with an 18th for the same day! I really
enjoy it as it is my hobby so it gives me an opportunity to use the
skills I have and develope new ideas.

I am sure your grandchildren are adorable too - except when they have a
temper tantrum! The little one started the terrible two's at just over
a year old - still thinks she can do everything her big sister can

Beryl
Old 18-06-2007, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message . com
from " contains
these words:

On Jun 17, 7:52 pm, Beryl Harwood wrote:
The message .com
from " contains
these words:

On Jun 17, 5:59 pm, Beryl Harwood wrote:

Oh, good luck with all that. Pity though as you are not far from me!

Wot! in France or here - where are you???

I wish!! No here. just down the road really

Beryl, Cheshire, is not just down the road!!!!! You are probably
nearer to me in France than you are in England!!!!!

Oops, sorry. I thought I read in one of your posts that you are in
Northwich - which is about 6 miles from me, and I can't find the posting
now to check it

Beryl
Old 18-06-2007, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 18, 7:07 pm, Beryl Harwood wrote:
The message . com
from " contains
these words:

On Jun 17, 7:52 pm, Beryl Harwood wrote:
The message .com
from " contains
these words:

On Jun 17, 5:59 pm, Beryl Harwood wrote:

Oh, good luck with all that. Pity though as you are not far from me!

Wot! in France or here - where are you???

I wish!! No here. just down the road really

Beryl, Cheshire, is not just down the road!!!!! You are probably
nearer to me in France than you are in England!!!!!

Oops, sorry. I thought I read in one of your posts that you are in
Northwich - which is about 6 miles from me, and I can't find the posting
now to check it

Beryl

Duh!!! Norfolk, East Anglia!! Write out 100 times......G

Judith