Old 17-06-2007, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Its still raining

The message et
from Sally Thompson contains these words:
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 20:48:54 +0100, Beryl Harwood wrote
(in article ):
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
"Beryl Harwood" wrote in message
The message
from "Muddymike" contains these words:
http
ahh, what a shame, but what lovely pictures! I have had a tall fuchsia
[it is an Irish hedge variety] which has suffered in a similar way.

I don't think it shows in any of the pics of my little garden as it was
not in green or flower at the time they were taken, but my pics are at -

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/bharwo...den/index.html

I hope the lupins recover soon.

Beryl

groan

Your garden shows mine up :-(

No Mary, that was last year, it has been very neglected since then and
several things have died so it looks quite pathetic to me now. My rose
arch has been full of flowers but htey are all soggy and drooping now,
really sad.

The only good thing is that my water but is full again as I have had to
resort to the hose for a few weeks to prevent everything shrivelling to
death.

The front suffers most as being second one in on a terrace I can't get
the hose round to it and am unable to carry buckets of water.

Lovely pictures, your garden is very colourful. Re the hose, could you run
one through the house, back to front? Not as a permanent fixture of course
g.

Thank you, I did try that, but the house has a large lounge diner with a
tiny kithen reached through the lounge. This means that any pipe has to
go through the lounge. I didn't mind before I had a new carpet put
down! However careful you are [I even used to put cloths down] the hose
gets dirty and water ends up on the carpet - usually on the way back
through It was such a palava that I gave up. IF I get very
despirate I fill an old dustbin which ias been placed on a trolly and
drag that round the front when I use the watering can to dispense the
water - also a palava which I am not keep to repeat too often.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Beryl
Old 17-06-2007, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message . com
from " contains
these words:

On Jun 15, 10:26 pm, K wrote:

Yes, it was under 6 inches of water this morning. Soaking away steadily
now - it's mainly in the temporary 'pool' we dug to take draining from
the beds.
--

Do you get a lot of run-off from the Church onto your driveway?

Here in Norwich we had a lot of rain last night, it lulled me to sleep
battering against the windows. Today, a lot of the shingle on our

We escaped the first downpour in Winsford, but it cought up with us
later - as I found when making my way to bed, when I discovered water
dripping from the bedroom ceiling light fitting!! Some time had to be
then spent in the loft, pulling back insulation and location the source
so I could put buckets under it and towells to soak up the pool waiting
to make it's decent to the floor below Needless to say I didn't get
much sleep listening to the drip drip, until the rain eased so I felt
the leak would dry up.
Thankfully I was able to get someone to come and sort it out on Sat
morning. He did say there was about 2" of water lying on that part of
the roof [it is part pitch with a flat area back and front - an odd
arrangement] - all waiting to decend throught to the house!!

Beryl
Old 17-06-2007, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

"Beryl Harwood" wrote in message

The only good thing is that my water but is full again as I have had to
resort to the hose for a few weeks to prevent everything shrivelling to
death.

The front suffers most as being second one in on a terrace I can't get
the hose round to it and am unable to carry buckets of water.

Beryl

I can't recommend butts too strongly, get another, and another ...

I never carry water more than three or four yards. We fitted a soaker hose
to one butt and ran it round the greenhouse borders, it works a treat!
There's also a timer device which sill fit to the hose so it can be
regulated when we're away.

All very clever. My son has promised me a second one that he says he
can fit with a syphon devise to keep them at the same water level. Mine
is not set very high so the pressure will not take the water far enough
round - plus the paths and door/gate access prevent it running where I
really want it - pain Still the garden is quite small so I don't
have to carry buckets too far in the back.

Beryl
Old 17-06-2007, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message .com
from " contains
these words:

On Jun 16, 12:26 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

We never use mains water for the garden and we don't go on holidays
- if we
did we wouldn't bother turning off the water main :-)

We're very relaxed* about such things.

Mary
*aka idle

I would never say that you are idle, I have a picture of you based on
your postings, do you ever sit down???

At the other house we have a well, I love it, I have a pump down it
and every evening, when we are there, I am outside watering like mad,
whilst my neighbour looks longingly at my free, soft water. However,
I do water all her plants and shrubs as the jet is so strong that it
reaches her garden easily. I also fill up the troughs for the cows in
the field opposite as the farmer assures me that water is good - it
has a slight colour though.

Judith, that sounds lovely. Is the other house far from home or can you
get there often?

Beryl
Old 17-06-2007, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message .com
from " contains
these words:

On Jun 16, 5:52 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

My Great Aunt Rose who went mad had hand pumped water to her sink in her
Peterborough bungalow. As a ten year old I thought that was wonderful and
begged my mother for one in our house. I could never understand why she
didn't want to. Still can't ...

I can!!!!

So can I!
When I was a child I used to spend my summers at my mother's old home in
Ireland. At the time there was no electricity in the house, so oil lams
and candles were the order of the day - and whilst there was 'mains'
water the house also had it's own well - one of the jobs was to pump
water each morning to the holding tank on the side of the house. It
took a minimum of 100 pumps, whatever the weather - jolly hard work.

Beryl

Old 17-06-2007, 03:47 PM
Registered User

Im new here but also have a problem with the rain we have had the last few days. My lupins are all lying flat ..... going to stake them back up to see if that makes a difference.

But what i really wanted to know is .... summer pots I have planted up are also now flat .... litteraly like someone has sat on them.

I have a huge pot out the front and that has "mimulas" in. Everyone who passes the house comments on how lovely it looked. But now even that is lying flat.

I have checked all the stalkes etc and nothing appears broken but they are lying flat. Instead of standing tall, they are lying lifeless looking and lying all drapped over the edges of the pots.

What I dont know (being newbie gardener) is will they just spring back up in a day or two, or do i need to do anything? or are they ruined?

If someone could please advise I would be very very grateful. I have posted on the main forum but no one has answered and I wanted idealling to get out there and do something with them today if need be while its actually not raining!
Old 17-06-2007, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 17, 9:31 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

We haven't a well in the garden
nor a pump but if mains water failed we have a large store in the butts
which we'd be prepared to use. We did the other day when emergency work left
the taps dry for a short time (we didn't know how long it would be).

Of course you would need to put your butt water into the elecric
kettle to boil it in case any larvae are in it, so if electricity
destroyed, what then, gas destroyed, what then? I know, I can
remember my mother cooking over a range, like a very old fashioned
Rayburn fuelled by wood.

Judith

Old 17-06-2007, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 17, 2:39 pm, Beryl Harwood wrote:

Judith, that sounds lovely. Is the other house far from home or can you
get there often?

It is a long way Beryl, 12 hours driving door-to-door., it's in the
Auvergne. My husband is there every month, I fly there approx every 6
weeks even if it's only for a long weekend. Fortunately, I am
retiring this year and we have decided to make our second home our
principal home and sell this house as it is too large just for the 2
of us. Hopefully that process will not be drawn out too much as we
have sold, subject to Contract.

Judith

Old 17-06-2007, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 17, 9:31 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

We haven't a well in the garden
nor a pump but if mains water failed we have a large store in the butts
which we'd be prepared to use. We did the other day when emergency work
left
the taps dry for a short time (we didn't know how long it would be).

Of course you would need to put your butt water into the elecric
kettle to boil it in case any larvae are in it,

?

What kind of larvae?

so if electricity
destroyed, what then, gas destroyed, what then? I know, I can
remember my mother cooking over a range, like a very old fashioned
Rayburn fuelled by wood.

We have plenty of wood with which to make a fire but I reckon that filtering
the water would make it usable.

Mary

Judith

Old 17-06-2007, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message . com
from " contains
these words:

On Jun 17, 2:39 pm, Beryl Harwood wrote:

Judith, that sounds lovely. Is the other house far from home or can you
get there often?

It is a long way Beryl, 12 hours driving door-to-door., it's in the
Auvergne. My husband is there every month, I fly there approx every 6
weeks even if it's only for a long weekend. Fortunately, I am
retiring this year and we have decided to make our second home our
principal home and sell this house as it is too large just for the 2
of us. Hopefully that process will not be drawn out too much as we
have sold, subject to Contract.

Oh, good luck with all that. Pity though as you are not far from me!

Beryl

Old 17-06-2007, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have taken some more pics of the soggy garden - Mary it may make you
feel a bit better!

If you want to ....

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/bharwood/gardenjune2007/

Wish I could get some pics of the visitors, particularly the feathered
ones, but my camera cannot cope with the double glazing and I can't get
out without them scattering

Cheers
Beryl
Old 17-06-2007, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Muddymike" contains these words:

"reg" wrote in message ...
No rain for weeks, now it does not know when to stop. Look what its done
to my lovely Lupin.
http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10261?sort=5

excuse me for being nosey Mr Muddymike but i was looking through your
album, is that your house ? as its absolutely gorgeous.

Thank you.

Yes it ours, most of it is our home, The single storey bit on the end is
what we call "Farend" which we let as a holiday apartment.

Mike, didn't I see some of these in the link to the flattened lupins?
They were really beautiful and I am sure I saw the the one of the dogs
when I looked at the lupin one.

Is the Farend accommodation dog friendly? I have a friend with a
elderly colly cross who is always interested in finding places where he
can stay with her. She is *very well behaved even around other dogs,
usually ignores them on the occasions I accompany them on walks.

beryl
Old 17-06-2007, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 17, 4:11 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

What kind of larvae?

Mozzie larvae?

We have plenty of wood with which to make a fire but I reckon that filtering
the water would make it usable.

Aah, I didn't know you filter, that should remove the larvae and bits.

Judith

Old 17-06-2007, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 17, 5:59 pm, Beryl Harwood wrote:

Oh, good luck with all that. Pity though as you are not far from me!

Wot! in France or here - where are you???

Judith

Old 17-06-2007, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message .com
from " contains
these words:

On Jun 17, 5:59 pm, Beryl Harwood wrote:

Oh, good luck with all that. Pity though as you are not far from me!

Wot! in France or here - where are you???

I wish!! No here. just down the road really

--
Beryl

Winsford, Cheshire