Old 29-06-2007, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Suggestions for Spring Veg?

On 29 Jun, 13:08, "JennyC" wrote:
No, but I would imagine it's pretty tender...........

Indeed. Lovely too - but I don't have it anymore. Quick isn't it )
Two young 14 yrs old on work experience this week brought it to me
this morning as a thank you present but I've passed it on to a
colleague who has look after the girls much more than me - far too
busy atm. So, perhaps I'll get one for myself, but right now, with the
hols etc. I feel like not getting any new plant, especially tender.
Been offered a kitten too. What's going on?!!?

Old 29-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Registered User

Location: Otley ,West Yorks

If you have a greenhouse you can get a suprising amount of fresh leaves early in the year from late autumn/winter sowings. This year I tried: Rocket, Pak Choi, Hon Tsai Tai, Tatsoi Yukina and Mizuma. They all grow quick and are great in stir fries. In fact we had so many we got a bit fed up with them in the end.
Old 29-06-2007, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 28 Jun, 16:44, "JennyC" wrote:
I too have eaten snake......grilled over an open fire. It does taste a
bit
like chicken :~))

But does chicken taste like snake? And where have you been young
lady?!

The snake was in Morocco.....
We are just back from a wet camping trip to France :~(
Jenny

Ditto - in Wales.

Mary

Old 29-06-2007, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 29 Jun, 13:08, "JennyC" wrote:
No, but I would imagine it's pretty tender...........

Indeed. Lovely too - but I don't have it anymore. Quick isn't it )
Two young 14 yrs old on work experience this week brought it to me
this morning as a thank you present but I've passed it on to a
colleague who has look after the girls much more than me - far too
busy atm. So, perhaps I'll get one for myself, but right now, with the
hols etc. I feel like not getting any new plant, especially tender.
Been offered a kitten too. What's going on?!!?

It's the time of year when folk go on holiday and have to find someone else
to look after things which need care :-)

We take our hens with us even though we don't have holidays :-))

Mary

Old 29-06-2007, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29 Jun, 16:19, Zhang DaWei wrote:
Dog was reasonably all right, too.

Don't. Just don't start this here or I'll have to kill you. Slowly.
You're in the wrong forum with the wrong people entirely. Stick to
horticulture.

Old 29-06-2007, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Zhang DaWei" wrote in message
-uwief...
On Friday 29 Jun 2007 10:35, JennyC )
wrote:

The snake was in Morocco.....
We are just back from a wet camping trip to France :~(
Jenny

I've eaten snake in China on a number of occasions. It was quite nice.
rather like chicken, as some have said, but not exactly so, in my opinion.
The bones rather gave it away.

The thing I tried one mouthful of and couldn't swallow, let alone try any
more of, was tortoise. It is looked upon as a delicacy in China, but I
thought it was deeply unpleasant.

Dog was reasonably all right, too.

--
Zhang DaWei: United Kingdom
Use the Reply-to field. Remove the "feiwu-" at the front of the email

AND in WW2cat was the luxury meat of the day....dangerous for a cat to
wander too far from its home....when skinned looked just like a rabbit.....H

address. Address guaranteed for 2 weeks after date of posted message.

Old 29-06-2007, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , David (Normandy)
writes

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message
Uncle Marvo wrote:
: this in , I, Marvo, say :
:
:: Has anyone any suggestions for vegetables that can be planted for
:: harvesting during late Winter and Spring?
::
:: As much as I like leeks and Spring greens a bit more variety of fresh
:: greens would be nice at that time of the year.
::
: Broad beans, one variety of them comes in spring. I can't remember
: whether it's the "long" type, but Google will know.
:
: Broad beans have got to be my favourite veg.

Kale, purple sprouting broccolli and leaf beet

Is kale edible?

Is it ever. Flash fry it when it is less than 5 minutes off the plant
in the bacon fat for your Sunday morning fry up and then ask the
question again.

Bung a load of salt on it and a bit of tempura batter and use olive oil
and tell the tree huggers it is seaweed, half of them would not know the
difference. Better still to leave most of the salt out and enjoy its
rich flavour for what it is.

Some even claim it makes better bubble than sprouts but they never give
their real names.

At a push you could also go traditional and bung it in with the taters
and have them boiled with a nice steak and mushroom pudding and a decent
serving of gravy made from the water it was cooked in.

For novelty value, at the end of the kale season, you can collect the
flowing shoots just before they open and tell you customers they are
miniature broccoli. You need lots of plants for this one though.

Ultimately though any Brassica should be eaten as an accompaniment to
pigeon, for no other reason than the irony.

--
steve auvache
Sunny Essex
Old 29-06-2007, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , David (Normandy)
writes

"steve auvache" wrote in message
In article , David (Normandy)
writes

Is kale edible?

Ultimately though any Brassica should be eaten as an accompaniment to
pigeon, for no other reason than the irony.

You've sold it! I'll see if I can get some seeds.

Choose your variety with care, in an urban environment the curly leafed
varieties will collect more rubbish than their stronger tasting somewhat
hardier flat leafed cousins.

--
steve auvache
A Bloo one with built in safety features
Old 29-06-2007, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

)
wrote:

The snake was in Morocco.....
We are just back from a wet camping trip to France :~(
Jenny

I've eaten snake in China on a number of occasions. It was quite nice.
rather like chicken, as some have said, but not exactly so, in my
opinion.
The bones rather gave it away.

The thing I tried one mouthful of and couldn't swallow, let alone try any
more of, was tortoise. It is looked upon as a delicacy in China, but I
thought it was deeply unpleasant.

Dog was reasonably all right, too.

--
Zhang DaWei: United Kingdom
Use the Reply-to field. Remove the "feiwu-" at the front of the email

AND in WW2cat was the luxury meat of the day....

For whom?

dangerous for a cat to wander too far from its home....when skinned looked
just like a rabbit.....H

My mother always said that rabbit was disguised as chicken.

A dead cat doesn't look like a dead rabbit anyway - I've dissected both.

Mary

Old 29-06-2007, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

. net...

wrote:

[...]

But when cut up there is a close resemblance....tastes about the same as
well

Old 30-06-2007, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

A dead cat doesn't look like a dead rabbit anyway - I've dissected both.

Mary

But when cut up there is a close resemblance.

Depends on your idea of 'close'. They're not close to me.