Old 28-06-2007, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Suggestions for Spring Veg?

Do you put pellets down - even friends who try not to use them are
getting desperate as everythign is being eaten by slugs.

Judith

Yes, reluctantly, slug pellets are the only pesticide I use, but only in
moderation where there is clear damage being done.

David.

Old 28-06-2007, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
:
: "Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message
: ...
: Uncle Marvo wrote:
: : this in , I, Marvo, say :
: :
: :: Has anyone any suggestions for vegetables that can be planted for
: :: harvesting during late Winter and Spring?
: ::
: :: As much as I like leeks and Spring greens a bit more variety of fresh
: :: greens would be nice at that time of the year.
: ::
: : Broad beans, one variety of them comes in spring. I can't remember
: : whether it's the "long" type, but Google will know.
: :
: : Broad beans have got to be my favourite veg.
:
: Kale, purple sprouting broccolli and leaf beet
:
:
:
: Is kale edible? I was brought up on a farm where kale was cattle fodder.
It
: used to look spectacular in the field - a forest of the stuff taller than
: me. The cows used to relish the stuff though.

Well the cows have it, it's delicious and strong flavoured and doesn't get
attacked by pests quite so much

Old 28-06-2007, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

On 27 Jun, 16:31, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:
I'll investigate. What time of year should the seeds be planted for
a Spring harvest? Can you recommend a variety?

Aquadulce can be sown in october and Sutton in late Feb but you must
be in a mild area and crops need to be sheltered somehow. I've never
grown them in autumn to be harvested in Spring. I like them better in
the summer )

That's the one, aquadulce. A longpod variety. And they don't tend to get
eaten by pests like the Sutton type.

But I also prefer them in the summer. My friend Rosalind recommended this:
picking them while they're still small, and eating the whole thing, not just
the beans inside, in a mange-tout stylee. You get all the flavour and ten
times the volume.

The auqadulce beans (not the pods!), though, are excellent for making a dip
for lamb skewers or just flatbreads or pitta (fully veggie). You blanche the
beans, plunge them into cold water, leave for five minutes, pop the skins
off, then fry a fair bit of garlic (I see a pattern emerging), cumin,
coriander, parsley and salt (and chilli if you want - I do) in a bit of
olive oil for five minutes, add 1/4 pint of water, bring to boil, put the
beans in for five minutes, then take out the beans with a slotted spoon,
shove in the blender, add the cooking juice until it is dip-like. It's a bit
like dhall but beany not lentilly.

Takes no time and is very impressive. Ideal way to get rid of beans that
have "gone over", or when you realise just how many beans you get off one
longpod plant.

Old 28-06-2007, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 Jun, 09:17, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:
Chard tastes pretty much like spinach. Or cabbage. Or purple-sprouting
broccoli. But not the same as any of them.

No it doesn't. It taste of andives or perhaps cooked salad or ... pak
choy or chinese leaves. Cabbage's far too strong a comparison.

It tastes nothing like chicken, La Puce!

Everything taste like chicken - crocodile, snake ... see?! When I was
a kid we used to eat chicken on special occasion or on sunday when it
was a special sunday. Now there's chicken everywhere and none of them
taste like the chicken of my childhood. I get my kids excited when I
tell them we're going to eat roasted sweet potatoes or pea soup or
even row broad beans with butter and salt, a bowl of raddishes and
french bread. But they're not excited about chicken. I used to go
totally crazy knowing we'd eat it! Chicken has disappeared as being
the grand dish of the week.

Old 28-06-2007, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

But they're not excited about chicken.

You're not using enough garlic :-)

Old 28-06-2007, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 28 Jun, 09:17, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:
Chard tastes pretty much like spinach. Or cabbage. Or purple-sprouting
broccoli. But not the same as any of them.

No it doesn't. It taste of andives or perhaps cooked salad or ... pak
choy or chinese leaves. Cabbage's far too strong a comparison.

It tastes nothing like chicken, La Puce!

Everything taste like chicken - crocodile, snake ... see?! When I was
a kid we used to eat chicken on special occasion or on sunday when it
was a special sunday. Now there's chicken everywhere and none of them
taste like the chicken of my childhood. I get my kids excited when I
tell them we're going to eat roasted sweet potatoes or pea soup or
even row broad beans with butter and salt, a bowl of raddishes and
french bread. But they're not excited about chicken. I used to go
totally crazy knowing we'd eat it! Chicken has disappeared as being
the grand dish of the week.

When I was young chicken was only available to the wealthy. I bow to your
greater experience of what it tastes like these days, the only time we eat
it is if we cull a cockerel and then it really is special as well as
delicious. Why not eat game instead?

I don't know of anything else which tastes like real chicken :-)

Mary

Old 28-06-2007, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

But they're not excited about chicken.

You're not using enough garlic :-)

You shouldn't need to mask a good flavour.

Mary

Old 28-06-2007, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 Jun, 11:38, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
When I was young chicken was only available to the wealthy.

Indeed. We were priviledge - I felt - bourgeois commercants, known to
all and established in 1924 in a little town as the only electricity
shop for miles around. Chicken was the business, chosen by my grand ma
on the market, alive. They are still sold like this today - but I
can't kill them anymore, nor can I kill a rabbit. I've gone soft.

I bow to your
greater experience of what it tastes like these days, the only time we eat
it is if we cull a cockerel and then it really is special as well as
delicious. Why not eat game instead?

Yes - we do, guinea fowl (with apples yum yum), venisson, pheasant,
duck, quails, (for special occasion) but not turkey. I don't like it.

I don't know of anything else which tastes like real chicken :-)

Snake and ostrich.

Old 28-06-2007, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 28 Jun, 11:38, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
When I was young chicken was only available to the wealthy.

Indeed. We were priviledge - I felt - bourgeois commercants, known to
all and established in 1924 in a little town as the only electricity
shop for miles around. Chicken was the business, chosen by my grand ma
on the market, alive. They are still sold like this today - but I
can't kill them anymore, nor can I kill a rabbit. I've gone soft.

The reason why it was for the wealthy when I was young is because it was
wartime - I'm older than you!

I bow to your
greater experience of what it tastes like these days, the only time we
eat
it is if we cull a cockerel and then it really is special as well as
delicious. Why not eat game instead?

Yes - we do, guinea fowl (with apples yum yum), venisson, pheasant,
duck, quails, (for special occasion) but not turkey. I don't like it.

I don't think of turkey as game, not guinea fowl for that matter, it's
rarely reared for sport. I'd add to that list grouse (the queen of game
birds), rabbit (wild), hare, pigeon and probably other things I've forgotten
but which are in our freezer :-)

I don't know of anything else which tastes like real chicken :-)

Snake and ostrich.

Ostrich certainly doesn't, I've never had snake.

Mary

Old 28-06-2007, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You've never had snake and kidney pudding?

David.

Old 28-06-2007, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

sigh

:-)

Mary

David.

Old 28-06-2007, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Zhang DaWei" wrote in message
-uwief...
On Thursday 28 Jun 2007 12:37, David (Normandy)
) wrote:

You've never had snake and kidney pudding?

Surely you mean Steak and Kid-Knee Pudding?

On a related matter, why is it that we in the UK have never taken to
eating
goat meat in a big way? And what is it called? Anything other than "goat
(meat)?

It's sold as mutton in our local shops (I live in the immigrant quarter) but
we eat goat a lot although not from the shops. there again, we (the Fishers)
eat sheep meat and cow meat rather than lamb, mutton, beef ...

Mary

Old 28-06-2007, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Believe it or not I had snake (snake not steak)and kidney pie back in the
early 40's......served up by a Royal Navy chef in Columbo, Ceylon....very
tasty indeed. Suspect that was due to the chef's skill and not the combo
served. It tasted much better than rat meat....don't laaugh at that, rat
meat is better than starving.....H

Old 28-06-2007, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"middleton.walker" wrote in message
Believe it or not I had snake (snake not steak)and kidney pie back in the
early 40's......served up by a Royal Navy chef in Columbo, Ceylon....very
tasty indeed. Suspect that was due to the chef's skill and not the combo
served. It tasted much better than rat meat....don't laaugh at that, rat
meat is better than starving.....H

I can just imagine the banter around the table waiting for the chef to
present his masterpieces.
Main course "Snake bake" or "Rodent in the hole"
for desert "Chocolate mouse" or "mice cream"
or do I smell a rat?

David.