Old 27-06-2007, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Suggestions for Spring Veg?

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 19:19:55 +0100, Sacha
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

If you happen to see some small leaf Basil seeds, would you be very kind and
send me some? It's the little bush Basil I'm looking for.

Do you mean the little Basil Brush?

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³

Old 27-06-2007, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Choose your variety with care, in an urban environment the curly leafed
varieties will collect more rubbish than their stronger tasting somewhat
hardier flat leafed cousins.
--
steve auvache
A Bloo one with built in safety features

We're in a rural "in the middle of nowhere" environment. No rubbish to pick
up. The only air pollution is when the neighbouring farmer spreads manure on
the fields. While this makes the Mrs pull a face in disgust I was brought up
with farmyard smells (and also had a Summer job at a sewage works years ago
while a college student) so have no such aversion. In fact I take delight in
identifying the age of the manure and the animal responsible for it.
Some people can identify a wine by it's aroma, with me, its dung.

David.

Old 27-06-2007, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 27, 5:29 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

And chard. It also looks spectacular.

I don't think I have eaten chard, what does it resemble, in taste?

Judith

Hmm. The taste resembles chard.

I mean, what do, say, tomatoes taste like? Or strawberries? Or carrots? Or
chocolate?

The leaves of chard taste and cook somewhat like spinach although they are
more delicate. The stalks give the real value though, the 'rainbow' or
'Swiss lights' or other such varieties have the most wonderful colours -
yellow, orange, red, purple, white, striped - absolutely stunning. I don't
deal with them in the classic way of cooking them in a sauce, instead I cut
them into 1" pieces and flash-fry them so that they retain their colour and
crisp texture.

They have the added advantage in that if they go to seed I remove the
hurdles and the hens give endless entertainment by jumping up to the leaves
to eat them.

I'm sorry if this doesn't answer your question ...

Mary

Old 27-06-2007, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 27 Jun, 17:38, "
wrote:
On Jun 27, 5:29 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
And chard. It also looks spectacular.

I don't think I have eaten chard, what does it resemble, in taste?

Chicken.

???

:-)

Mary

Old 27-06-2007, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"steve auvache" wrote in message

Is kale edible?

Is it ever. Flash fry it when it is less than 5 minutes off the plant
in the bacon fat for your Sunday morning fry up and then ask the
question again.

Bung a load of salt on it and a bit of tempura batter and use olive oil
and tell the tree huggers it is seaweed, half of them would not know the
difference. Better still to leave most of the salt out and enjoy its
rich flavour for what it is.

Some even claim it makes better bubble than sprouts but they never give
their real names.

At a push you could also go traditional and bung it in with the taters
and have them boiled with a nice steak and mushroom pudding and a decent
serving of gravy made from the water it was cooked in.

For novelty value, at the end of the kale season, you can collect the
flowing shoots just before they open and tell you customers they are
miniature broccoli. You need lots of plants for this one though.

Ultimately though any Brassica should be eaten as an accompaniment to
pigeon, for no other reason than the irony.

I agree with everything you say. I love kale in all the varieties I've ever
tasted.

I also love pigeon.

Mary

Old 27-06-2007, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 27, 6:57 pm, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:

Can you recommend a variety?

I will ask Edward as he is the one who chooses variety, he is in
France at the moment.

On the subject of poorly performing veg I also planted some Mache seeds a
couple of months ago and they are still only around 1 inch high and 2 inches
across. I planted lettuce and beetroot at the same time and they are either
large or eaten now!

Do you put pellets down - even friends who try not to use them are
getting desperate as everythign is being eaten by slugs.

I went to my parents grave yesterday to put on fresh flowers and the
ones that were almost a week old had been chewed by the dratted
things. I put a sea of green pellets all around the perimeter of the
grave to stop they entering near the granite.

Judith

Old 27-06-2007, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 27, 7:19 pm, Sacha wrote:

If you happen to see some small leaf Basil seeds, would you be very kind and
send me some? It's the little bush Basil I'm looking for.

I will, I will, I will. I remember some years ago I sent you some??
Do you know the name of the variety you want?

Judith

Old 27-06-2007, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 27, 9:36 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

Hmm. The taste resembles chard.

I mean, what do, say, tomatoes taste like? Or strawberries? Or carrots? Or
chocolate?

Like............G

The leaves of chard taste and cook somewhat like spinach

That's fine, I just needed to know whether it had a cabbabe taste or
what.

They have the added advantage in that if they go to seed I remove the
hurdles and the hens give endless entertainment by jumping up to the leaves
to eat them.

We are going to buy our hen house as recommended by you in October, I
have bid for a coule on ebay but lost. They certainly hold their
price as I bid up to almost two thirds of the new value.

I'm sorry if this doesn't answer your question ...

It does Mary, thanks.

Judith

Old 27-06-2007, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 27, 9:36 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

Hmm. The taste resembles chard.

I mean, what do, say, tomatoes taste like? Or strawberries? Or carrots?
Or
chocolate?

Like............G

The leaves of chard taste and cook somewhat like spinach

That's fine, I just needed to know whether it had a cabbabe taste or
what.

Oh no! It tastes nothing like cabbabe ... or even cabbage:-)

They have the added advantage in that if they go to seed I remove the
hurdles and the hens give endless entertainment by jumping up to the
leaves
to eat them.

We are going to buy our hen house as recommended by you in October, I
have bid for a coule on ebay but lost. They certainly hold their
price as I bid up to almost two thirds of the new value.

I hope you enjoy it. We're just back from Wales, we took our banties and the
Eglu with us in the back of the car (Renault estate). We also had a lot of
other stuff in the back of the car.

Mary

Old 27-06-2007, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 27, 10:26 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

I hope you enjoy it. We're just back from Wales, we took our banties and the
Eglu with us in the back of the car (Renault estate). We also had a lot of
other stuff in the back of the car.

Amazing, I would never have thought of that, so, if I pack to go away
for the weekend, I can take my chickens with me in their Eglu, I have
never heard of chickens being taken on holiday before, they must have
thought they had died and gone to heaven!

Judith

Old 27-06-2007, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

"David (Normandy)" writes

Is kale edible?

Yes.

Is leaf beet also called spinach?

No, I don't think so - it's used like spinach but is different. Spinach
is Spinacea, I'm pretty sure leaf beet is a Beta.

This link gives a lot of vegetable names - the latin names but also a
lot of the different european names - thanks! I wouldn't have found it
without your question!
http://www.hri.ac.uk/enveg/data/raw/vegdata.htm

I used to grow the false New Zealand stuff
back in England but can't find any seed for it here. That used to make a
nice meal or fifty but the Mrs is not keen on it. I tried growing the proper
spinach but it didn't do very well, slow to grow and quick to run to seed
compared to the 'false' stuff.

Do you also grow swiss chard, ruby chard etc?
--
Kay
Old 27-06-2007, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 19:35:17 +0100, steve auvache
wrote:

Choose your variety with care, in an urban environment the curly leafed
varieties will collect more rubbish than their stronger tasting somewhat
hardier flat leafed cousins.

Steve, what variety do you recommend?

Pam in Bristol
Old 27-06-2007, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 27, 10:26 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

I hope you enjoy it. We're just back from Wales, we took our banties and
the
Eglu with us in the back of the car (Renault estate). We also had a lot
of
other stuff in the back of the car.

Amazing, I would never have thought of that, so, if I pack to go away
for the weekend, I can take my chickens with me in their Eglu, I have
never heard of chickens being taken on holiday before, they must have
thought they had died and gone to heaven!

Judith

Well, they've stayed in some places which even humans don't have the
privilige of sleeping in - more castles than I can remember for instance.
Last week they were on an organic farm with lots of things to scratch for
and more grass then they could imagine. It's very interesting that they
rarely leave the Eglu on the journey when we have a pit stop (although the
door is always open) but as soon as we stop at our destination they seem to
know, we open the hatch and out they fly and make themselves at home. At
night they always go into the coop, we don't have to shepherd them.

Mary
Should have said that they do tend to whine all the way to our destination,
"Are we nearly there yet?"