Old 27-06-2007, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Suggestions for Spring Veg?

Has anyone any suggestions for vegetables that can be planted for harvesting
during late Winter and Spring?

As much as I like leeks and Spring greens a bit more variety of fresh greens
would be nice at that time of the year.

David.

Old 27-06-2007, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

Has anyone any suggestions for vegetables that can be planted for
harvesting during late Winter and Spring?

As much as I like leeks and Spring greens a bit more variety of fresh
greens would be nice at that time of the year.

Broad beans, one variety of them comes in spring. I can't remember whether
it's the "long" type, but Google will know.

Broad beans have got to be my favourite veg.

Old 27-06-2007, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Uncle Marvo wrote:
: this in , I, Marvo, say :
:
:: Has anyone any suggestions for vegetables that can be planted for
:: harvesting during late Winter and Spring?
::
:: As much as I like leeks and Spring greens a bit more variety of fresh
:: greens would be nice at that time of the year.
::
: Broad beans, one variety of them comes in spring. I can't remember
: whether it's the "long" type, but Google will know.
:
: Broad beans have got to be my favourite veg.

Kale, purple sprouting broccolli and leaf beet

Old 27-06-2007, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message
Uncle Marvo wrote:
: this in , I, Marvo, say :
:
:: Has anyone any suggestions for vegetables that can be planted for
:: harvesting during late Winter and Spring?
::
:: As much as I like leeks and Spring greens a bit more variety of fresh
:: greens would be nice at that time of the year.
::
: Broad beans, one variety of them comes in spring. I can't remember
: whether it's the "long" type, but Google will know.
:
: Broad beans have got to be my favourite veg.

Kale, purple sprouting broccolli and leaf beet

Is kale edible? I was brought up on a farm where kale was cattle fodder. It
used to look spectacular in the field - a forest of the stuff taller than
me. The cows used to relish the stuff though.

I've just planted some green broccoli seed but am new to planting this - I
tried last year and it sort of ran to seed and didn't form tight heads. Is
green broccoli Winter hardy or is that jus the purple that will survive over
Winter?

Is leaf beet also called spinach? I used to grow the false New Zealand stuff
back in England but can't find any seed for it here. That used to make a
nice meal or fifty but the Mrs is not keen on it. I tried growing the proper
spinach but it didn't do very well, slow to grow and quick to run to seed
compared to the 'false' stuff.

David.

Old 27-06-2007, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

Has anyone any suggestions for vegetables that can be planted for
harvesting during late Winter and Spring?

As much as I like leeks and Spring greens a bit more variety of fresh
greens would be nice at that time of the year.

Broad beans, one variety of them comes in spring. I can't remember whether
it's the "long" type, but Google will know.

Broad beans have got to be my favourite veg.

I'll investigate. What time of year should the seeds be planted for a Spring
harvest? Can you recommend a variety?

David.

Old 27-06-2007, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27 Jun, 15:02, "Uncle Marvo"
Broad beans have got to be my favourite veg.

Ditto. But raw. Not cooked.

Old 27-06-2007, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27 Jun, 16:31, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:
I'll investigate. What time of year should the seeds be planted for a Spring
harvest? Can you recommend a variety?

Aquadulce can be sown in october and Sutton in late Feb but you must
be in a mild area and crops need to be sheltered somehow. I've never
grown them in autumn to be harvested in Spring. I like them better in
the summer )

Old 27-06-2007, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message
Uncle Marvo wrote:
: this in , I, Marvo, say :
:
:: Has anyone any suggestions for vegetables that can be planted for
:: harvesting during late Winter and Spring?
::
:: As much as I like leeks and Spring greens a bit more variety of fresh
:: greens would be nice at that time of the year.
::
: Broad beans, one variety of them comes in spring. I can't remember
: whether it's the "long" type, but Google will know.
:
: Broad beans have got to be my favourite veg.

Kale, purple sprouting broccolli and leaf beet

And chard. It also looks spectacular.

Mary

Old 27-06-2007, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote ..
Has anyone any suggestions for vegetables that can be planted for
harvesting
during late Winter and Spring?

As much as I like leeks and Spring greens a bit more variety of fresh
greens
would be nice at that time of the year.

Cauliflower, ie. "Walcheren Winter Armardo April" or similar
The best ones to grow, reliable and clean heads with no added meat! Might
just get away with planting now but mine are planted out already. F1 so the
only problem is how many you can eat in two weeks. :-)
Brussels Sprout, some late non bitter varieties are available to take you
through to late spring.
"Winter Tundra" Cabbage, reliable and holds well (if it's cold).
Savoy, must be some late ones available.
Cavolo Nero, mine lasts well into spring but give it plenty of room as it
gets tall.
Carrots, mine last in the ground until spring when they start to flower to
provide seed for the following year.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 27-06-2007, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 27, 4:30 pm, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:

Is leaf beet also called spinach? I used to grow the false New Zealand stuff
back in England but can't find any seed for it here.

I buy my spinach seeds in France, I think they have a larger variety
there than in England. I know you too are in France so what shops
have you got near you that might sell seeds? If there is a problem I
can send you some.

Judith

Old 27-06-2007, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 27, 5:29 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

And chard. It also looks spectacular.

I don't think I have eaten chard, what does it resemble, in taste?

Judith

Old 27-06-2007, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27 Jun, 17:38, "
wrote:
On Jun 27, 5:29 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
And chard. It also looks spectacular.

I don't think I have eaten chard, what does it resemble, in taste?

Chicken.

Old 27-06-2007, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

ups.com...
wrote:

Is leaf beet also called spinach? I used to grow the false New Zealand
stuff
back in England but can't find any seed for it here.

I buy my spinach seeds in France, I think they have a larger variety
there than in England. I know you too are in France so what shops
have you got near you that might sell seeds? If there is a problem I
can send you some.

Judith

Judith, thanks for the offer but there are a number of garden centres handy
including L'eclerc, Pointe Verte etc and all have a good selection of seeds.
The one I tried growing was "Epinard Geant d'Hiver", I planted seeds last
Autumn but it grew really slowly. In fact I dug it in a few weeks ago at
only two or three inches high.

Can you recommend a variety?

On the subject of poorly performing veg I also planted some Mache seeds a
couple of months ago and they are still only around 1 inch high and 2 inches
across. I planted lettuce and beetroot at the same time and they are either
large or eaten now!

David.

Old 27-06-2007, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"steve auvache" wrote in message
In article , David (Normandy)
writes

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message
.. .
Uncle Marvo wrote:
: this in , I, Marvo, say :
:
:: Has anyone any suggestions for vegetables that can be planted for
:: harvesting during late Winter and Spring?
::
:: As much as I like leeks and Spring greens a bit more variety of fresh
:: greens would be nice at that time of the year.
::
: Broad beans, one variety of them comes in spring. I can't remember
: whether it's the "long" type, but Google will know.
:
: Broad beans have got to be my favourite veg.

Kale, purple sprouting broccolli and leaf beet

Is kale edible?

Is it ever. Flash fry it when it is less than 5 minutes off the plant
in the bacon fat for your Sunday morning fry up and then ask the
question again.

Bung a load of salt on it and a bit of tempura batter and use olive oil
and tell the tree huggers it is seaweed, half of them would not know the
difference. Better still to leave most of the salt out and enjoy its
rich flavour for what it is.

Some even claim it makes better bubble than sprouts but they never give
their real names.

At a push you could also go traditional and bung it in with the taters
and have them boiled with a nice steak and mushroom pudding and a decent
serving of gravy made from the water it was cooked in.

For novelty value, at the end of the kale season, you can collect the
flowing shoots just before they open and tell you customers they are
miniature broccoli. You need lots of plants for this one though.

Ultimately though any Brassica should be eaten as an accompaniment to
pigeon, for no other reason than the irony.

--
steve auvache
Sunny Essex

You've sold it! I'll see if I can get some seeds.
Your last paragraph made me chuckle - many moons ago I had a veg plot at my
father's farm, but all my greens got eaten by wood pigeons. So I staked out
the garden early one morning brandishing a shot gun and caught the blighters
in the act. I too enjoyed the irony. They ate my greens so I ate them!

David.