Old 28-06-2007, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Suggestions for Spring Veg?

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message

"middleton.walker" wrote in message
Believe it or not I had snake (snake not steak)and kidney pie back in the
early 40's......served up by a Royal Navy chef in Columbo, Ceylon....very
tasty indeed. Suspect that was due to the chef's skill and not the
combo served. It tasted much better than rat meat....don't laaugh at
that, rat meat is better than starving.....H

I can just imagine the banter around the table waiting for the chef to
present his masterpieces.
Main course "Snake bake" or "Rodent in the hole"
for desert "Chocolate mouse" or "mice cream"
or do I smell a rat?

David

As to rats....a couple of my old buddies were p o w's in WW2 and bred rats
for extra protein to keep 'em alive......H

Old 28-06-2007, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"middleton.walker" wrote in message
. ..

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message

"middleton.walker" wrote in message
Believe it or not I had snake (snake not steak)and kidney pie back in
the early 40's......served up by a Royal Navy chef in Columbo,
Ceylon....very tasty indeed. Suspect that was due to the chef's skill
and not the combo served. It tasted much better than rat meat....don't
laaugh at that, rat meat is better than starving.....H

I can just imagine the banter around the table waiting for the chef to
present his masterpieces.
Main course "Snake bake" or "Rodent in the hole"
for desert "Chocolate mouse" or "mice cream"
or do I smell a rat?

David

As to rats....a couple of my old buddies were p o w's in WW2 and bred rats
for extra protein to keep 'em alive......H

Not a lot I can say to that :-(

I knew a chap who was a p.o.w. in Burma. He became a milkman after the war.
On the surface he was a normal balanced and very quiet and likeable chap,
but when you got to know him the scars ran deep. He never got over the abuse
he and the others suffered. When visiting him and his wife with my parents
once in the 70's something came on the TV news about Japan and I still
remember the sheer hatred on his face and the venom with which he spoke at
their mention.

David.

Old 28-06-2007, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"middleton.walker" wrote in message
Believe it or not I had snake (snake not steak)and kidney pie back in the
early 40's......served up by a Royal Navy chef in Columbo, Ceylon....very
tasty indeed. Suspect that was due to the chef's skill and not the combo
served. It tasted much better than rat meat....don't laaugh at that, rat
meat is better than starving.....H

I certainly agree with the last statement!

But did the snake taste like chicken?

Mary

Old 28-06-2007, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message

I knew a chap who was a p.o.w. in Burma. He became a milkman after the
war. On the surface he was a normal balanced and very quiet and likeable
chap, but when you got to know him the scars ran deep. He never got over
the abuse he and the others suffered. When visiting him and his wife with
my parents once in the 70's something came on the TV news about Japan and
I still remember the sheer hatred on his face and the venom with which he
spoke at their mention.

David.

Yes, I've known a couple of men in the same situation.

Spouse and I had been active in developing the Royal Armouries Museum in
Leeds and we were invited to the Queen's opening. There were many guests,
including some Japanese, a very high status old priest and several women,
all in splendid traditional dress. They gave us ceremonial tea. The women
were fine although their English wasn't good but the priest stayed aloof and
wouldn't speak to anyone. Before the celebrations had ended they all paraded
out, the priest very haughty and looking straight ahead, sternly, the little
women fluttering along behind him.

I hated myself and felt ashamed of my feelings towards him but I couldn't
get the memories of the prisoners of war experiences :-(

Mary

Old 28-06-2007, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"middleton.walker" wrote in message
Believe it or not I had snake (snake not steak)and kidney pie back in the
early 40's......served up by a Royal Navy chef in Columbo, Ceylon....very
tasty indeed. Suspect that was due to the chef's skill and not the
combo served. It tasted much better than rat meat....don't laaugh at
that, rat meat is better than starving.....H

I certainly agree with the last statement!

But did the snake taste like chicken?
Mary

I too have eaten snake......grilled over an open fire. It does taste a bit
like chicken :~))
Jenny

Old 28-06-2007, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"middleton.walker" wrote in message
Believe it or not I had snake (snake not steak)and kidney pie back in the
early 40's......served up by a Royal Navy chef in Columbo, Ceylon....very
tasty indeed. Suspect that was due to the chef's skill and not the
combo served. It tasted much better than rat meat....don't laaugh at
that, rat meat is better than starving.....H

I certainly agree with the last statement!

But did the snake taste like chicken?

Mary

It tasted just like snake.............H

Old 28-06-2007, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 27, 11:10 pm, Sacha wrote:
Um, 'Small'? ;-) You did indeed send me some a few years ago and it ran

out of the nursery as it grew in its little pots. But my personal supply
went awol when we were on holiday - I think it drowned because normally, I
have only to think 'holiday' and the heavens open! Not this year, though.

o.k. I will search for a small leaved basil.

Judith

Old 28-06-2007, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"middleton.walker" wrote in message
. ..

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"middleton.walker" wrote in message
Believe it or not I had snake (snake not steak)and kidney pie back in
the early 40's......served up by a Royal Navy chef in Columbo,
Ceylon....very tasty indeed. Suspect that was due to the chef's skill
and not the combo served. It tasted much better than rat meat....don't
laaugh at that, rat meat is better than starving.....H

I certainly agree with the last statement!

But did the snake taste like chicken?

Mary

It tasted just like snake.............H

I believe that most things taste like themselves :-)

Mary

Old 28-06-2007, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 Jun, 16:44, "JennyC" wrote:
I too have eaten snake......grilled over an open fire. It does taste a bit
like chicken :~))

But does chicken taste like snake? And where have you been young
lady?!

Old 29-06-2007, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 28 Jun, 16:44, "JennyC" wrote:
I too have eaten snake......grilled over an open fire. It does taste a
bit
like chicken :~))

But does chicken taste like snake? And where have you been young
lady?!

The snake was in Morocco.....
We are just back from a wet camping trip to France :~(
Jenny

Old 29-06-2007, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
I'm off to get seeds this afternoon. :-)

David.

Old 29-06-2007, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29 Jun, 10:35, "JennyC" wrote:
The snake was in Morocco.....
We are just back from a wet camping trip to France :~(

Ho good. I mean how ghastly ... Haven't camped yet, too scared but we
want to so much. We'll wait till august bank hols and will probably
end up at Hell's Mouth again.

I've just been given a splendid red Dipladenia. Any experience with
them?!

Old 29-06-2007, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 29 Jun, 10:35, "JennyC" wrote:
The snake was in Morocco.....
We are just back from a wet camping trip to France :~(

Ho good. I mean how ghastly ... Haven't camped yet, too scared but we
want to so much. We'll wait till august bank hols and will probably
end up at Hell's Mouth again.

I've just been given a splendid red Dipladenia. Any experience with
them?!

No, but I would imagine it's pretty tender...........
Jenny