Old 02-07-2007, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Suggestions for Spring Veg?

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message

A lot of cultures have animals bred for meat which a Brit wouldn't
normally eat. When I was last in France I saw a chevalier's shop - I think
he was flogging a dead horse.

We used to eat horse meat until the shop (along with a good deal of Leeds
market) was burned down. It was excellent meat.

Mary

Old 04-07-2007, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2 Jul, 09:58, Zhang DaWei wrote:
Nope. I have tested dog whilst in China. They have specific breeds that are
grown just for meat there.

Rubbish. I've seen 6 types of breed for consumption, one of which I
happen to have. So you've been fooled to beleive you've eaten a
'special dog'. And a dog is not 'grown' like a cabbage. It's an
animal, a mamal, like you. A dog would risk his life for you. Dogs
have benefited human society for as long as we can remember. You
perhaps would say so did horses - even my neighbour has been 'saved'
by her budgie and a friend of mine weapt for days when she lost her
fish. But nothing, nothing can compare to the faithfulness and
unconditional love a dog gives you. Nothing.

Once you've seen those dogs and heard their screams as they are being
tortured and slaughtered on a chinese market, on a daily basis - Made
in China has a different ring to it. If you or anyone else wants to
see footages of dogs on chinese markets, email me. But be prepared -
your life will change after that.

And Da Wei, it's nothing personal and I'm sure you're a lovely chap.
But just don't think that it is normal to eat dogs and cats. Because
it's not.

end of rant

Old 05-07-2007, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4 Jul, 21:28, Zhang DaWei wrote:
Having lived in China for quite a while, and having extensive family there,
I think I know more about it than you do, for all your xenophobic ranting.

Xenophobic?! Me? But I'm an immigrant, just like you.

I have absolutely nothing at all, but at all about Chinese people and
have a few Chinese friends who like me are appauled by this issue. You
haven't said if you were?! Why not?! But I do have a problem with the
Chinese government. Always have. It's perhaps unfair from me to have
suggested that the whole of such an immense country be responsible for
something which happens only in some areas and which I find cruel and
totally unacceptable. I feel also unfair to start a boycott either.
But sadly the problem is still there, whatever you think and the
boycott has started.

The fur trade is also another issue. That and the environmental
destruction that is currently happening in China in the name of
progress. Good god Dawei, wake up man!

I can see why the others in the group think poorly of you now.

Is this the best you can do as a reply? And what group?! This is not a
group but usenet. And I have lots of friends on this forum,
individuals who I have met and spent time with. Have you?! I didn't
think so.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message

Xenophobic?! Me? But I'm an immigrant, just like you.

So am I. My lot crept over in 1066.

What all of them?

Are you 100% sure?

Mary

Old 05-07-2007, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5 Jul, 12:07, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:
So am I. My lot crept over in 1066.

Your middle name's Norman?

I like La Puce.

Thanks Uncle. I really don't mind. It's good to chat with people - air
a few things and empty one's bag etc.

Now, still no news of the variety of the Spanish tree you saw. Perhaps
you could put it out here, someone is bound to know it. How is your
bougainvillea doing with all that rain?! Our two passiflora are
drowning. First thing on Saturday I'm sorting out some sort of roof
over the pergola or we will lose them. The flowers are extraordinary -
a treat for the soul )

Old 05-07-2007, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5 Jul, 12:37, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:
My last name was bestowed by William, the one who had the morbid interest in
horse chestnuts.

Interesting looking suspiciously at Uncle now

I can't post the picture, I've got nowhere to post it :-)

Do you want me to for you?!

Old 05-07-2007, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

On 5 Jul, 12:37, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:
My last name was bestowed by William, the one who had the morbid
interest in horse chestnuts.

Interesting looking suspiciously at Uncle now

William the Conkerer.

I can't post the picture, I've got nowhere to post it :-)

Do you want me to for you?!

Please :-)

Old 05-07-2007, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5 Jul, 12:56, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:
Interesting looking suspiciously at Uncle now

William the Conkerer.

LOL!!! I knew it, I-just-knew-it.

Please :-)

Done.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5 Jul, 15:14, Zhang DaWei wrote:
Because it wasn't relevant at all.

I am sorry to have offended you because that wasn't my intention and
clearly I did. The issue of cruelty to dogs in China prior to eating
them, you know like breaking their legs backwards to attach them
behind their backs while still alive, is something very close to my
heart. I wasn't having a personnal go at you, but at the people who
do this. Clearly you have no morals. I did say that you might be a
nice chap but in retrospects I think you're bonking mad.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5 Jul, 16:27, Zhang DaWei wrote:
In my own experience, which was being horrified to see
the skinning of a dead dog in public,

Good. You feel. That's all I needed to know. See, easy. See you
around.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote

I can't post the picture, I've got nowhere to post it :-)

Google is your friend :~)
http://picasa.google.nl/
Jenny