Old 18-07-2007, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default re.garden when selling house

We are thinking about moving in a year or two, I will of course have to
leave my garden where I have worked hard and am now happy with. What is the
way to go about it? I suppose one has to leave growing things or can some be
removed to new garden, maybe I should start taking cutting`s and sowing
seeds in pots now. Do ornamental pots etc go with the house, questions
questions questions ? Words of wisdom and advice will be appreciated .

kate

Old 18-07-2007, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Kate Morgan wrote:
We are thinking about moving in a year or two, I will of course have
to leave my garden where I have worked hard and am now happy with.
What is the way to go about it? I suppose one has to leave growing
things or can some be removed to new garden, maybe I should start
taking cutting`s and sowing seeds in pots now. Do ornamental pots etc
go with the house, questions questions questions ? Words of wisdom
and advice will be appreciated .

AFAIR you can take what you want with you, provided the purchaser is
notified (normally on the questionnare you complete when you find a buyer) .

If you take a lot of large established plants that the buyer assumed were
part of the purchase then be prepared for them to drop their offer!

Old 18-07-2007, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 14:13:59 +0100, "Kate Morgan"
wrote and included this (or some of this):

We are thinking about moving in a year or two, I will of course have to
leave my garden where I have worked hard and am now happy with. What is the
way to go about it? I suppose one has to leave growing things or can some be
removed to new garden, maybe I should start taking cutting`s and sowing
seeds in pots now. Do ornamental pots etc go with the house, questions
questions questions ? Words of wisdom and advice will be appreciated .

When selling you can take or leave whatever you like. However, it is
necessary to inform the prospective buyers exactly what is included in
the asking price.
You should take cuttings into pots to take with you and certainly take
your ornamental pots unless your buyer can agree with you how much he
is prepared to pay for them (or you could up the asking price
accordingly and include them in the sale)

Basically, you must make it clear what you are removing and what you
are leaving, Unfortunately, there have been many instances where
buyers have purchased, got the keys and found that light-bulbs, light
fittings, curtain rails, toilet-roll holders etc have been taken,
although I do believe that soaking off the wallpaper and removing
switches and door-handles is rare south of Hadrian's. BG

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³

Old 18-07-2007, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
We are thinking about moving in a year or two, I will of course have to
leave my garden where I have worked hard and am now happy with. What is
the way to go about it? I suppose one has to leave growing things or can
some be removed to new garden, maybe I should start taking cutting`s and
sowing seeds in pots now. Do ornamental pots etc go with the house,
questions questions questions ? Words of wisdom and advice will be
appreciated .
kate

Taking note of what others have said, I'd like to add that you should ask
the prospective new owners what they are going to do with the garden. Our
last house had a pond and a lot of mature plants/trees etc. I did take a few
plants with me but when we were in the area after some months, we discovered
that the new owners had removed the pond and a lots of the plants etc and
grassed the lot over !!

if I'd known they were going to do that I would have taken much more stuff
with me !

Jenny

Old 18-07-2007, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/7/07 14:13, in article
, "Kate Morgan"
wrote:

We are thinking about moving in a year or two, I will of course have to
leave my garden where I have worked hard and am now happy with. What is the
way to go about it? I suppose one has to leave growing things or can some be
removed to new garden, maybe I should start taking cutting`s and sowing
seeds in pots now. Do ornamental pots etc go with the house, questions
questions questions ? Words of wisdom and advice will be appreciated .

kate

It's up to you. You receive a list on which you tick all that you're
leaving or taking. I took granite troughs and Belfast sinks and some light
fittings, leaving all the rest. For obvious reasons (marrying a nurseryman)
I didn't take plants or cuttings.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-07-2007, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

If you haven't sold your house yet then pot up those shrubs that you
want to take, in the gap shove in something cheap and cheerful.
That way the new owners will see straight away what's going and what's
staying.
Even better get someone to baby-sit the special plants for you until you
move.

There was a story, some years back, in the telegraph which reported that
new owners had arrived at their new house and found that the previous
occupants had taken even the turf!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 18-07-2007, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Kate Morgan writes
We are thinking about moving in a year or two, I will of course have
to leave my garden where I have worked hard and am now happy with. What
is the way to go about it? I suppose one has to leave growing things or
can some be removed to new garden, maybe I should start taking
cutting`s and sowing seeds in pots now. Do ornamental pots etc go with
the house, questions questions questions ? Words of wisdom and advice
will be appreciated .

Pots go with the owner, plants in the ground go with the house, unless
specified before exchange of contracts.

It's a good idea to start now and get cuttings rooted and seeds sown,
and easier to cope with at the other end if you haven't got masses of
bare-rooted stuff to get into the ground in the midst of moving in.

Removers probably won't want to pack plants for you, but will provide
ample boxes and bubble foam. Avoid long whippy plants - try to get them
compact so the branches support each other, then wrap the whole lot in
bubble foam, small light plants can be put on top of heavier plants
provided the box is stuffed well enough to avoid movement.
--
Kay
Old 18-07-2007, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³" wrote in message
[...]

It's the normal practice here in France :-(

Our first job after buying the house here was to go straight back out again
and buy and install some light fittings before it got dark! They took
curtain rails, toilet roll holders the lot! The wallpaper was hanging off
the walls too but that was down to rising damp.

David.

Old 18-07-2007, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

[...]

At one house, we left behind a mature bamboo in a stone container worth
around £200. Walking past the house a year later revealed that the new
occupants had just let it dry out completely and die. The front garden which
we'd spent so much time and money on, which used to look absolutely
stunning, was covered in 6 feet high of rubbish - they were using it as a
skip for rubble and the old bathroom / kitchen cabinets etc.

David.

Old 19-07-2007, 07:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Kate Morgan writes
[...]

Plenty of coffee and big chunky buns as the moving men arrive works
wonders........ :~))
Jenny

Old 19-07-2007, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
We are thinking about moving in a year or two, I will of course have to
leave my garden where I have worked hard and am now happy with. What is

the
way to go about it? I suppose one has to leave growing things or can some

be
removed to new garden, maybe I should start taking cutting`s and sowing
seeds in pots now. Do ornamental pots etc go with the house, questions
questions questions ? Words of wisdom and advice will be appreciated .

kate

As other have mentioned... You can take anything you like as long as it's on
the list.

It's worth noting that the buyer makes his offer on the basis of your (and
your agents) representations to him about the property. Best tell him what
you are taking BEFORE he makes an offer. Otherwise if there are any
surprises on the list they might seek to reduce their offer.... "We assumed
the shed was staying when we made our offer"...etc

Old 19-07-2007, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 18, 2:13 pm, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
We are thinking about moving in a year or two, I will of course have to
leave my garden where I have worked hard and am now happy with. What is the
way to go about it? I suppose one has to leave growing things or can some be
removed to new garden, maybe I should start taking cutting`s and sowing
seeds in pots now. Do ornamental pots etc go with the house, questions
questions questions ? Words of wisdom and advice will be appreciated .

Kate, we have just sold our house. The legal position is that once
contracts are exchanged, we cannot remove anything in the garden, that
excludes pots and greenhouses but these have to be specified in the
Further and Better Particulars.

We don't want to take any plants, I will enjoy creating a new garden.
I have taken cuttings of those that have a special memory and I will
grow these on but I'm afraid that some are unsuited to the climate we
are going to.

Judith

Old 19-07-2007, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

JennyC writes

"K" wrote in message

Removers probably won't want to pack plants for you, but will provide
ample boxes and bubble foam. Avoid long whippy plants - try to get them
compact so the branches support each other, then wrap the whole lot in
bubble foam, small light plants can be put on top of heavier plants
provided the box is stuffed well enough to avoid movement.
Kay

Plenty of coffee and big chunky buns as the moving men arrive works
wonders........ :~))

Put it another way ... they won't want to pack plants for you because
they don't understand them, and you won't want them to pack them because
you won't trust them ;-)
--
Kay
Old 22-07-2007, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sorry to be so long in answering all you kind people, I think the answer is
to collect seeds and cutting`s. We still have not decided to go but a good
tidy up would still be a good idea :-)

kate