Old 08-08-2007, 12:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Allen shredder & similar users help

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 14:30:33 +0100, Broadback wrote:
WaltA wrote:
I presume that the 3 blades are now part of 9a on the side not shown ?

Oh, sillyme ! When Broadback said
"There is a disk which has cutters on"

I imagined cutting blades like on mine, but now I see that
11"Shredder Rack Teeth"
I suppose those are the new cutters ?

Many thanks everyone for your help, indeed Walt it is as you described,
very clear. I have just happily shred my hedge clippings in record time
with no jams. I "turned" the piles yesterday so that the moister on the
bottom dried off,

Hi Broadback
It's good to hear that you are getting better results with it,
tis a shame that it needs a two stage process tho, I like to get my
jobs done all in one go before lethargy, and a can of beer, has a
chance to set in

It is very disconcerting to recommend a product to someone and then to
find out that the manufacturer has messed about with the design in the
interim and b*tt***ed it up !

It would be interesting to know from the other recommenders which
variation they have.

And it is a salutory lesson for me to look after mine with tender
loving care cos I will not be able to replace it :-!(

I am disappointed with the branch
cutter, I would have expected it to pull them through once started. The
result is the last foot or so cannot be chopped.

Did you note my suggestion of keeping a spare bit of branch as a
sacrificial pokeing device to get that last foot or so pushed thro'

I wonder if they have changed the way the blade is mounted wrt its
chamfer ? (might be worth an experiment if it is reversible.
I cannot remember which way mine is mounted but it does have a bit of
pull through, although sometimes the last foot or so slows down and
rattles a bit, so I usually use a helper poker.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 23:30:09 GMT, WaltA wrote:

It is very disconcerting to recommend a product to someone and then to
find out that the manufacturer has messed about with the design in the
interim and b*tt***ed it up !

Agreed :-(

It would be interesting to know from the other recommenders which
variation they have.

From your description of your Allen shredder and suggestions, it would
seem that I have *exactly* the same model as you - I'd have said almost the
same as you about my machine.

Model LSC 505

and a couple of photos :-

www.troytheblacklab.co.uk/allen

Here's hoping that Broadback manages to find things a bit easier with more
practice (took me a little time).

Still love my Allen :-)
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Old 09-08-2007, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hugh Jampton wrote:
On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 23:30:09 GMT, WaltA wrote:

It is very disconcerting to recommend a product to someone and then to
find out that the manufacturer has messed about with the design in the
interim and b*tt***ed it up !

Agreed :-(

It would be interesting to know from the other recommenders which
variation they have.

From your description of your Allen shredder and suggestions, it would
seem that I have *exactly* the same model as you - I'd have said almost the
same as you about my machine.

Model LSC 505

and a couple of photos :-

www.troytheblacklab.co.uk/allen

Here's hoping that Broadback manages to find things a bit easier with more
practice (took me a little time).

Still love my Allen :-)

I think the answer to the alteration of design will be cost cutting. :-(
another question please. Supplied with mine is a piece of metal, painted
black, about 220x25x3mm, at one end is a hole, both ends hace the ends
chamfered to form a three sided end. any ideas what it is for? I cannot
see it in the parts list.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 14:23:50 +0100, Broadback wrote:
(snips)
Hugh Jampton wrote:
On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 23:30:09 GMT, WaltA wrote:
and a couple of photos :-
www.troytheblacklab.co.uk/allen

Good pics, looks brand new !
mine is almost identical except it has more rivets holding the flexi
cover on the chipper chute.
Which is of little consequence except that it has made me think :

Over the years bits (tongues) have broken off that flexi and I got a
quote from my local garden machinery man - an extortionate sum was
mentioned ( he did warn me to hold on to my hat while he made his call
to his supplier ! )
I wonder if I was quoted for the whole flexi + steel chute ??
Cos with it riveted on like that it isnt exactly a routine
maintenance/service job I suppose

I never did replace it, not much comes back out but eye protection is
still a good idea.

I have made two mods to mine,
The hand-holds on the lip of the chute are a bit severe ( for my
delicate hands and I live on a hillside !)
so I have used some bits (2 short and 1 long) of garden hose, slit
lenghtwise and slotted over the steel, to round of and make more
comfortable those handholds.

and I have removed the steel + flexi baffle partway down the chute in
front of the throat,
On the grounds that it will not prevent anyone stupid enough to put
his arm all the way in anyway, and it caused a minor restriction when
dealing with a tangle of brambles !

I think the answer to the alteration of design will be cost cutting. :-(

I fear that you are right

another question please. Supplied with mine is a piece of metal, painted
black, about 220x25x3mm, at one end is a hole, both ends hace the ends
chamfered to form a three sided end. any ideas what it is for? I cannot
see it in the parts list.

I'm sorry I cant help, I dont recall anything like that with mine.

I suppose you could drive it into the ground like a tent peg and
tether the beast to it to stop it wandering off ?
I jest only partly ! - because there is no brake on the wheels and
because I live on a hill, there is a tendency for it to go walkabout
under its own vibrations ! Chocks are needed.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hugh Jampton wrote:
[...]

Your fault Walt, no grounds for compensation there, the instructions
insist that it must only be used on level ground. ;-)

Old 11-08-2007, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I jest only partly ! - because there is no brake on the wheels and
because I live on a hill, there is a tendency for it to go walkabout
under its own vibrations ! Chocks are needed.

Your fault Walt, no grounds for compensation there, the instructions
insist that it must only be used on level ground. ;-)

Mea (partly) culpa !
I do have some level ground, terraced,, it eventually walks off that
as well but it is easier to restrain than a goat

PS did I ever recommend a goat ?
(if I did, then beware )
(ducks&runs )

Old 11-08-2007, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 23:15:34 GMT, WaltA wrote:

and I have removed the steel + flexi baffle partway down the chute in
front of the throat,

My baffle broke away by itself. I've no intention of replacing it.

On the grounds that it will not prevent anyone stupid enough to put
his arm all the way in anyway, and it caused a minor restriction when
dealing with a tangle of brambles !

I'm the only one using my Allen - if anyone else used it I might just think
of replacing guards :-) SWMBO produces *lots* of stuff to be shredded but
she doesn't use the Allen - ever since she tried it for the first time
about 15 years ago - no way :-)

BTW My Allen is *very* noisy (5 HP B&S engine) - is yours ? I need ear
protection when I use it. I feel very guilty when I start it up and it
upsets the neighbours - we have lovely neighbours and I felt very bad
yeasterday starting up my Allen half way through their birthday party for
their beautiful 11 year old daughter - a 12 hour party with constant BOOM
BOOM music. I really do feel so guilty ;-)
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Old 11-08-2007, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 23:02:38 +0100, Hugh Jampton wrote:
On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 23:15:34 GMT, WaltA wrote:
and I have removed the steel + flexi baffle partway down the chute in
front of the throat,

My baffle broke away by itself.

Yer onner, g%ds truff

I've no intention of replacing it.

Quite right, elfinsfateegornmad, where are they when u need em in the
middle of a few acres of rampant undergrowth
Wimping on about ragwort I'll be bound !

ever since she tried it for the first time
about 15 years ago - no way :-)

Oh gorn,. do tell ;-)

BTW My Allen is *very* noisy (5 HP B&S engine) - is yours ?I need ear
protection when I use it.

No not at all, very comfortable without

I feel very guilty when I start it up and it
upsets the neighbours - we have lovely neighbours and I felt very bad
yeasterday starting up my Allen half way through their birthday party for
their beautiful 11 year old daughter - a 12 hour party with constant BOOM
BOOM music. I really do feel so guilty ;-)

Ah ha! Oh I see, you had me there !!, for a mo

Do you remeber in ,,, ohh tit mustav been in t' 60s, a craze for
woofers encased in concrete,
with a shelter over the top concrete is very outdoor friendly for
deliverin a goodly bit of Beethoven ;-)

Old 07-09-2007, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
Via: http://www.jumlers.com/uk.rec.gardening/
Take off the screen and throw it away. Problem solved!