Old 09-09-2007, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default at wits' end ...

"Klara" wrote in message

Our next-door neighbour has a very large house and some 7 acres of
derelict orchard behind it, some of it extending behind our house and
garden. He also runs most of his heating on a wood-fired boiler. In the
past he had his wood store and saw bench halfway down the orchard, but in
the last fortnight he has built a very large woodshed out of derelict
asbestos sheeting right at the bottom of our garden, in full view of our
house (though not his). In the course of building it, he has hacked (his)
laurel hedge between us more or less to the ground and replaced it with a
few tiny saplings. We are becoming reconciled to the thought that we might
have to put up a fence to hide some of the eyesore (it's about 10-12 feet
tall), at least from the ground floor....

But the second problem is, he has, in the past, spent a lot of his time
cutting logs on his bench saw, and it used to be bad enough from halfway
through the orchard. Now the woodshed is the obvious place to do it. But
we work from home, and our windows face the back....

We are on friendly terms, and I did ask about the sawing, but I didn't get
an answer and he went ahead with it anyway.

I don't suppose there is much we can do: his land is classified as
agricultural land, so sawing wood is part of the brief, and in any case we
would not like to fall out with them - but short of planting a forest
instead of our garden, is there anything we can do to hide the eyesore and
minimise the noise?

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

I have just been out to post some letters as the result of emails in this
morning, and I passed by a neighbours 'fence' which has attracted a lot of
attention by virtue of what it is! 6 foot lap panels set in the concrete
posts with the slots in, topped by a 2 foot trellis. Growing all up this
from inside the garden and OVER the fence and now worked its way to the path
is Ivy and other shrub climbers as well. So thick and dense that in the
Spring, a Blackbird built a nest in the 'hedge/fence' just 7 feet above this
busy path. I would stop and look at the Blackbird with just her beak and
eyes peeping over the edge of the nest just 4 feet away from me!

I feel that this would solve a problem for you to 8 foot straight away and
higher later. The whole 'thickness' of this structure is about 2 feet, if
that.

Just an idea to mull over.

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , CWatters
writes

"Klara" wrote in message
in the last fortnight he has built a very large woodshed out of derelict
asbestos sheeting

It may look like asbestos sheeting but it's more likely to be Fibre Cement
Sheeting which is similar but contains no asbestos.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...nt+Sheeting+&b
tnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB

It's stuff that has been lying around for a long time: I suspect left
over from what were, by all accounts, chicken sheds in the orchard back
in the fifties/sixties.
My hope is that if he saws inside the shed, perhaps they will absorb the
sound - we'll have to wait and see.
--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 09-09-2007, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , 'Mike'
writes

"Klara" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, it's something to consider. We had thought of a trellis before the
noise thing reared its ugly head, but under the circumstances a fence
would be better. It could form part of a walled-off service area for the
compost daleks, shreddings, and other materials waiting to be composted,
with the trellis on the nearside.....
--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 09-09-2007, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
I have just been out to post some letters as the result of emails in this
morning, and I passed by a neighbours 'fence' which has attracted a lot of
attention by virtue of what it is! 6 foot lap panels set in the concrete
posts with the slots in, topped by a 2 foot trellis.

I've got a feeling that fences over 6ft need planning permission. Best check
first if you want one 8ft.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 9/9/07 21:37, in article , "CWatters"
wrote:

"'Mike'" wrote in message
I have just been out to post some letters as the result of emails in
this
morning, and I passed by a neighbours 'fence' which has attracted a lot
of
attention by virtue of what it is! 6 foot lap panels set in the concrete
posts with the slots in, topped by a 2 foot trellis.

I've got a feeling that fences over 6ft need planning permission. Best
check
first if you want one 8ft.

They do most certainly in some areas. And specific sites might have
covenants on them. In addition tall fences with trellis on top are more
easily blown down in gales, especially when they have plants on them which
add to the windage.
--
Sacha

What part of ..."set in the concrete posts with the slots in", do you not
understand?

Mike

Old 10-09-2007, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 9/9/07 10:37, in article ,
"Klara"
wrote:
snip
We had thought of a trellis before the
noise thing reared its ugly head, but under the circumstances a fence
would be better. It could form part of a walled-off service area for the
compost daleks, shreddings, and other materials waiting to be composted,
with the trellis on the nearside.....

Just be sure it's not going to be hit by strong winds. I put up a fence
in
a previous garden, a third of the way up the lawn and to shield part of
this
walled in garden. It was correctly inserted into those metastake thingies
etc. and not in what I had ever considered to be a windy area. We had one
really good gale one night and the whole thing snapped off and blew over
precisely where it went into the metastakes. It snapped off like
matchsticks. The same could happen with any kind of fixing unless you can
brace the fence from the side opposite the prevailing wind. If you don't
have a windy garden, then you're probably safe to try this. But if it
goes
wrong, it's an expensive experiment!

Sacha

Now that is a coincidence that Sacha should poo poo my idea of a fence with
trellis AND then quote those dreadful metal socket things. Within FEET of
the Concrete posts I recommended, these are the ones 8 feet long with 2 feet
concreted into the ground and the panel slid into the grooves giving the
panel protection up its entire side, within FEET, were, please note WERE 3
panels put into these metal sockets and they have long since gone. Sockets
there! Fence panels blown out. Life of that fence was about a couple of
years 'roughly'. The concrete posts and panels? They were there when I moved
into this house in September 1986

If you want a cheap quick fix. Metal Sockets and posts set in them.

Proper job which will last. Concrete posts with grooves.

Mike

Old 10-09-2007, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
wrote:
snip
[...]

It's in fact a fairly protected end of the garden, shielded from the
prevailing winds, as it is, by what was orchard now having turned into
forest and, now, by a large woodshed ;-[
Our latest thought, though, is perhaps to try to find a biggish
woodshed/garden shed that we can then quickly cover with climbers!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 10-09-2007, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Metposts

Just have a look at http://www.metpost.co.uk/mp_prod_selection.html and look
at how much of the post is actually 'gripped' and how much support the
actual metpost is giving. Any Engineer will agree that the support of the
post on a 'lever action' from the top, and the Metpost acting as a
'fulcrum', it might as well be a Chocolate Teapot when used in a straight,
long, wind catching fence :-((

A couple of panels to hide the shed/greenhouse/garage,neighbours washing,
......... yes
Boundary fence, ...... no.

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.
www.rneba.org.uk to find your ex-Greenie mess mates

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 9/9/07 10:37, in article ,
"Klara"
wrote:
snip
[...]

"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will have a
Stand

Old 10-09-2007, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Klara" wrote in message
news
In message , Sacha
writes
On 10/9/07 08:57, in article ,
"Klara"
wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
wrote:
snip
We had thought of a trellis before the
noise thing reared its ugly head, but under the circumstances a fence
would be better. It could form part of a walled-off service area for
the
compost daleks, shreddings, and other materials waiting to be
composted,
with the trellis on the nearside.....
Just be sure it's not going to be hit by strong winds.

snip

It's in fact a fairly protected end of the garden, shielded from the
prevailing winds, as it is, by what was orchard now having turned into
forest and, now, by a large woodshed ;-[
Our latest thought, though, is perhaps to try to find a biggish
woodshed/garden shed that we can then quickly cover with climbers!

That's a good idea. You'll get storage space and a return of some
privacy.
Then perhaps you could invest in a buzzsaw.......... ;-))

:-)))
--
Klara, Gatwick basin

:-((

No Klara, NOT a good idea if you wish to retain your 'good relationship'

Mike

Old 10-09-2007, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
Metposts

Just have a look at http://www.metpost.co.uk/mp_prod_selection.html and

look
at how much of the post is actually 'gripped' and how much support the
actual metpost is giving. Any Engineer will agree that the support of the
post on a 'lever action' from the top, and the Metpost acting as a
'fulcrum', it might as well be a Chocolate Teapot when used in a straight,
long, wind catching fence :-((

A couple of panels to hide the shed/greenhouse/garage,neighbours washing,
........ yes
Boundary fence, ...... no.

I'm not a fan of metposts either.

We've just built about 40 meters of 6ft high fence... Used 8 foot tall 4"
square posts each set 2 foot deep in concrete. Then nailled on cant rails
and 6" gravel boards then good quality feather edge boards. The cant rails
have staggered joints.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"CWatters" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message
[...]

:-))

My point