Old 26-10-2007, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Barometric pressure query

In article ,
lid says...
On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 14:01:48 +0100, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

In article ,
says...
On 26/10/07 10:51, in article
,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article om,
says...
On 25 Oct, 20:50, Sacha wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that as the glass rises they sometimes,
just
occasionally, get a bit of a headache. It happens to me often
enough to be
aware of it but it seems more obvious in the colder months when we
get a
bright starry sky and cold, sunny days. Years ago I mentioned it
to a
doctor - not as a worry, just in passing - and he looked at me as
if I was
barking. But I'm sure there's some sort of relationship between
one and
the other.

You are not alone. It is a link that I've heard discussed over the
years, particularly in relation to migrane sufferers. It is
medically
controversial. I read a study in scientific american, or some such,
in
a hotel in New England one snowy day when I could not get to work,
which showed a tiny but measurable incidence. I expect it would be
difficult to reproduce.

The only obvious connection I have thought of is a sinus headache,
where the sinuses are too blocked to allow pressure to equilibrate.
But I am not a doctor, so am probably wrong.

It's never happened to me, but then I have never been seasick
either
but that doesn't stop me knowing other people can be! My headaches
appear to be associated with dehydration if they are not a symptom
of
an infection.

I have never thought about it, but does barometric pressure effect
blood
pressure or the kit they use to measure it? I am lucky enough to
almost
never get a headache but one child is a regular sufferer, his seem
inexplicable

Obviously you'll have done the eye test stuff but I would strongly
recommend
a good chiropractor. Quite often the spine is 'out' without us
knowing it.

If your spine is out I would recommend seeing a qualified doctor.

I tried that, but my GP sent me to a physio who only succeeded in making it
worse!

Fortunately I saw another doctor after and she has put me down for an
examination at the hospital.

Old 26-10-2007, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote

Wearing a larger pair of underpants can cure headaches, allegedly.

I normally wear a hat! :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 26-10-2007, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote

Wearing a larger pair of underpants can cure headaches, allegedly.

I normally wear a hat! :-)

How odd!(:-)

Old 27-10-2007, 12:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/10/07 14:06, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 14:01:48 +0100, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

In article ,
says...
On 26/10/07 10:51, in article
,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article om,
says...
On 25 Oct, 20:50, Sacha wrote:
[...]

Or perhaps, we've become so accustomed to it that we don't know it's
happened if there's no pain. I used to become giddy so easily that it
really scared me but once I found a good chiropractor that is - almost - a
thing of the past. My spine's a bit of a mess and always has been but once
it travels to the neck....

Thats really interesting because just 10 days ago he went to one with a
bad back and after the x-rays it turns out one hip joint is 8mm lower
than the other, may be if they sort that out he will lose the headaches
:~)

Wearing a larger pair of underpants can cure headaches, allegedly.

Only if worn on the head. On top of the tinfoil hat. Honest.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 27-10-2007, 12:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/10/07 15:53, in article ,
"echinosum" wrote:

Sacha;756302 Wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that as the glass rises they sometimes, just
occasionally, get a bit of a headache.

Do you find occasionally, just occasionally, you get a headache on a
Tuesday? Must be something about Tuesdays...

Any minute you'll be patting me on the head..... ;-)

Normal variation in pressure at sea-level due to weather, eyes of
hurricanes and tornadoes excepted, is roughly from 980 to 1035 mbars, a
maximum difference of 5.5%. That's about the same as the change from
climbing (or descending) 500m in altitude. I'm unwilling to believe the
difference is large enough to promote any medical condition. Having been
at high altitude in the Andes for over two months, I descended from
3700m to sea-level in a day (by bicycle), thus experiencing a sudden
increase in pressure of over 50% in just a few hours, and I didn't have
a headache at the bottom. I would have had a headache if I had done it
in reverse so fast, and that would have been due to oxygen
deprivation.

What seems more likely is that there is another aspect of the weather
that is causing the symptoms. High pressure is generally associated
with dry weather, and in winter the humidity would be especially low in
cold, dry weather. Dehydration is a known cause of headaches.

Could be. But it doesn't seem right to me.

Old 27-10-2007, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/10/07 09:35, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 00:02:46 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 26/10/07 14:06, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

snip
Wearing a larger pair of underpants can cure headaches, allegedly.

Only if worn on the head. On top of the tinfoil hat. Honest.

You are a real expert, Sacha. :-)

Of course. I've directed many such people to a good chiropractor. Would
you like the name of ours? ;-)

Old 27-10-2007, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 26/10/07 14:06, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 14:01:48 +0100, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

In article ,
says...
On 26/10/07 10:51, in article
,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article om,
says...
On 25 Oct, 20:50, Sacha wrote:
[...]

Will you demonstrate?

Old 28-10-2007, 12:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/10/07 17:54, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 17:45:31 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

snip I did it twice - once taking an onion out of the veg. drawer and
once
picking my purse up from the bed. And no, I'm not rich enough for my purse
to put my back out! ;-)

Maybe you store junk in it like my wife does. A couple of weeks ago a harbour
shower token appeared when she was looking for change. The harbour did away
with
tokens around 1985 and then there are still all the foreign coins that were
made
obsolete by the Euro.

;-)) I assume we're using purse in the English sense and not the American.
My bag is about 10 years old, obviously even better quality than one of
those costapacket things in fashion now and is known to my husband as the
Tardis or the Black Hole because it is so large that sometimes, it takes
months for things to resurface from it! I *love* it and when it finally
dies, I hope to replace it with something identical. The older it gets, the
more mellow the leather etc. I am so wedded to it that I have been known to
embarrass myself by going out in 'smart' evening wear still lugging the
Tardis with me, having forgotten to go into minimal evening bag mode.

Old 28-10-2007, 12:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/10/07 22:23, in article , "Alan
Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 26/10/07 14:06, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

snip

Wearing a larger pair of underpants can cure headaches, allegedly.

Only if worn on the head. On top of the tinfoil hat. Honest.

Will you demonstrate?

After you. ;-)

Old 28-10-2007, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/10/07 08:18, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 00:48:27 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 27/10/07 22:23, in article , "Alan
Holmes" wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 17:46:12 +0100, Sacha

wrote:

On 27/10/07 09:35, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 00:02:46 +0100, Sacha

wrote:

On 26/10/07 14:06, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:
snip
Wearing a larger pair of underpants can cure headaches, allegedly.

Only if worn on the head. On top of the tinfoil hat. Honest.

You are a real expert, Sacha. :-)

Of course. I've directed many such people to a good chiropractor. Would
you like the name of ours? ;-)

No thanks. My daughter is a physiotherapist, she tries to fix the damage
caused
by some chiropractors :-)

My current damage was caused by a physiotherapist!

My last chiropractor was also a physio. My present chiro is a chiro. I do
think it's horses for courses. The *most* important thing is to find
someone you can work with and who listens to you.

and is competent :-)

Very much so. Our present chiro arranged for Xrays for both of us and he
also does a sort of scan of the spine which is helpful to him and to the
patient. He does a re-assessment every 4 weeks or so and discusses your
treatment with you as in how effective you're finding it, whether you want
to come weekly or fortnightly or just 'maintenance' now and then etc.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

Simoniz pressure washer serious problem Andy Kalsey Lawns 1 13-10-2003 04:32 PM
Maximum PSI Pressure created by DIY CO2 Harry Muscle Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 29-03-2003 03:20 PM
low pressure mist/fog nozzles P. J. Bloodworth Orchids 3 10-03-2003 12:57 AM
Pressure washer help Mark Lawns 0 09-02-2003 05:55 PM
pressure treated wood for training boxes? John Bonsai 0 23-01-2003 04:07 PM