Old 31-10-2007, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Barometric pressure query

On 25 Oct, 19:50, Sacha wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that as the glass rises they sometimes, just
occasionally, get a bit of a headache. It happens to me often enough to be
aware of it but it seems more obvious in the colder months when we get a
bright starry sky and cold, sunny days. Years ago I mentioned it to a
doctor - not as a worry, just in passing - and he looked at me as if I was
barking. But I'm sure there's some sort of relationship between one and
the other.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

Yes I've noticed this. I always get a head ache just before a thunder
storm. Apparently the difference in the pressure being exerted on you
by the atmosphere between high and low pressure is about a ton. The
theory is that we all feel much lighter when there is low pressure.

Old 31-10-2007, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/10/07 10:07, in article
,
" wrote:

On 25 Oct, 19:50, Sacha wrote:
[...]

I don't get thunderstorm headaches but the exact opposite. As the barometer
rises and the sky becomes bright and clear, that's my headache trigger,
especially in winter.

Old 31-10-2007, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article . com,
says...
On 25 Oct, 19:50, Sacha wrote:
[...]

?? A very low pressure might get down to 940 mb and you occassionally get
highs above 1040 but not much, I make that a difference of 100 mb which
is a very small pressure nothing like a ton.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 31-10-2007, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/10/07 10:36, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 10:30:03 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 31/10/07 10:07, in article
,
" wrote:

On 25 Oct, 19:50, Sacha wrote:
[...]

Sloe Gin?

If only!

Old 01-11-2007, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message . com,
writes
On 25 Oct, 19:50, Sacha wrote:
[...]

Atmosphere pressure is 14.7 lb (force) per square inch. Be generous and
call that 1.5 lb (force) difference between high and low pressure
weather conditions. To add up to a ton extra force requires your skin to
occupy 1500 square inches. That's about the right order of magnitude.

But it's a difference in force, not pressure.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 02-11-2007, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/11/07 11:24, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article . com,
writes

Yes I've noticed this. I always get a head ache just before a thunder
storm.

I get one before rain. Presumably my inner pressure can't match the
outer pressure?

On the other hand, on a day like today (Friday, sunny and crisp) the air
seems alive.

Janet

It's a truly beautiful day here, too but it's given me that 'hovering on the
edge of a headache' feeling!

Old 03-11-2007, 02:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31 Oct, 02:30, Sacha wrote:
On 31/10/07 10:07, in article
[...]

I don't get thunderstorm headaches but the exact opposite. As the barometer
rises and the sky becomes bright and clear, that's my headache trigger,
especially in winter.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

When I first saw your post I thought "Sunlight allergy":
I know several people who have sneezing fits from too
sudden sunlight exposure.

But now it occurs to me that perhaps you have a MIGRAINE
trigger. I get them occasionally, and it is now well
established that the optic nerve is involved, as are
the sinuses. When I was a teenager my worst migraines
happened in winter. (I can remember running outside in
so much pain I could hardly see, and pressing my forehead
and temples against cold metal objects trying to make it
go away.(

Old 03-11-2007, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3/11/07 02:58, in article
, "Don H3"
wrote:

On 31 Oct, 02:30, Sacha wrote:
On 31/10/07 10:07, in article
[...]

[...]

That's an interesting comment. I've only once had such a bad headache that
I actually thought I was going to have a brain haemorrage but I do have a
reaction to strong sunlight in that my eyes water easily and I wear specs
with photoreactive lenses - think that's the right term! I don't think my
headaches are bad enough to be called migraine by a very long shot - they
just sort of sit there and nag at me and there is a feeling of pressure on
the temples. Many years ago and several years apart, I had two episodes of
visual disturbance but without a headache. I asked a friend who is a
wretched migraine sufferer if this was possible and she said she knew a few
people this happened to. Last time that happened was a good 8 or 9 years
ago. And yes, I do have what my doctor once described as "lousy sinuses"!
I think you've hit on something there - thank you.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I monitor the pressure every day here Sacha,
http://www.ukjay.co.uk/jwx/ and can't say when the pressure is up as
it is now
(1030.7mb) it doesn't give me headaches.
http://www.ukjay.co.uk/wx/
The only time with me seems to be if the sky is very bright (white)
but the pressure doesn't seem to affect me, as you mention the bright
sky, I think
that's the problem, maybe some sunglasses eh? ;-)

James
http://www.ukjay.co.uk

Old 04-11-2007, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/11/07 09:34, in article
, "UkJay"
wrote:

I monitor the pressure every day here Sacha,
http://www.ukjay.co.uk/jwx/ and can't say when the pressure is up as
it is now
(1030.7mb) it doesn't give me headaches.
http://www.ukjay.co.uk/wx/
The only time with me seems to be if the sky is very bright (white)
but the pressure doesn't seem to affect me, as you mention the bright
sky, I think
that's the problem, maybe some sunglasses eh? ;-)

Have you see the other posts in this thread - people seem to vary a lot in
their responses but the migraine one interests me personally, as to cause
and effect.
Interesting web sites, too, I've book marked all of them, including the
music. Thank you! ;-)

Old 04-11-2007, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article . com,
UkJay writes:

| I monitor the pressure every day here Sacha,
| http://www.ukjay.co.uk/jwx/ and can't say when the pressure is up as
| it is now (1030.7mb) it doesn't give me headaches.
| The only time with me seems to be if the sky is very bright (white)
| but the pressure doesn't seem to affect me, as you mention the bright
| sky, I think that's the problem, maybe some sunglasses eh? ;-)

The genes for eye and skin colour are fairly closely linked (hair
colour is rather different), and a significant proportion of people
of northern European ancestry with non-brown eyes have trouble with
sunlight in all sorts of ways. There is also an adaptation effect,
and people who live in the UK are not adapted to the rare bright
sunlight we get.

Cold air and sudden changes of pressure give me sinus pain; I know
that is common, too. Some people get congestion from dry air, and
some from humid air, which can cause sinus pain. I don't suffer
from migraine, but can see that all of those could trigger it.

As far as I know, barometric pressure per se is irrelevant, except
when it changes VERY rapidly, but it tend to bring in a lot of other
effects. As Sacha says, people vary.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I only get migraine about once a year thank goodness (you watch me
have a spell now)
glad you found the links interesting as well Sacha
I can understand pressure affecting breathing as Nick mentioned.
I'm still trying to figure out the algorithm used by my weather
station for prediction purposes
I must admit the pressure seems to be the most important one, mind you
they dont always
get it right do they BBC ;-)
Anyway back to the darkened room for me just in case!

James
http://www.ukjay.co.uk

On 4 Nov, 11:16, Sacha wrote:
On 4/11/07 09:34, in article
om, "UkJay"

wrote:
[...]

Simoniz pressure washer serious problem Andy Kalsey Lawns 1 13-10-2003 04:32 PM
Maximum PSI Pressure created by DIY CO2 Harry Muscle Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 29-03-2003 03:20 PM
low pressure mist/fog nozzles P. J. Bloodworth Orchids 3 10-03-2003 12:57 AM
Pressure washer help Mark Lawns 0 09-02-2003 05:55 PM
pressure treated wood for training boxes? John Bonsai 0 23-01-2003 04:07 PM