Old 07-01-2008, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The Gradens on Madeira

"Sacha" wrote after..
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

snip
See thats the problem with cruises, no time to see anything :~) There are
in fact 3 large gardens at the top of the cable car run at Monte and as
you say on a completely seperate cable car and only about half way up is
the botanic garden, there are also a further 3 orchid gardens nearby, we
wouldn't use the cable car for any of them (assuming I could get my wife
on it!) the buses are much cheaper and more fun.

One could spend the best part of a day in the Monte gardens alone. But I
must say that we liked the Blandy gardens even more - possibly because
they're more English in style, do you think?
Liz is right about the cable car! We took it but I really didn't like it,
especially when it swung a bit as it went over the runner thingies, or
over
a deep gorge. I've used dozens of cable cars when skiing but somehow,
being
in one that isn't above the snow that I ridiculously imagine will cushion
my
fall, made me very uncomfortable.

There is a spectacular cable car that runs from Cairns to Kuranda in
Queensland which just skims over the tops of the rainforest trees. A must
for any plants person.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-01-2008, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/1/08 16:28, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote after..
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

[...]

That might be okay - I used to be quite good at climbing trees, so at least
I could climb down them. ;-))
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 07-01-2008, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 05:46:14 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill
wrote:

Dave, I hope this works since I'm not used to cutting posts about

Far be it for me to defend Mike, but this time the subject was gardens
in Madeira,
and it has given rise to Charlie's answer listing other gardens and
their location.

Yes, Charlie did respond with an interesting answer about other
gardens and I was looking forward to some more of the same.

Had he been extolling the virtues of cruses then it would have been
right off topic.

But that's exactly what he did in his second post, ignoring the
gardens completely and going off on his usual self-gratification.

I consider the way that most cruses are structured the participants
are just a glorified bunch of day trippers.

I can't comment on that, have never been interested in cruises.

As always with 'Mike' the mention of gardening was just a pretext to
go off on his usual ego-trips.

As with anywhere the trick with the gardens on Madeira is to know how
long is going to be long enough, and to be able to work out what else may
be usefully done while in that direction, which is why we prefer to do
our own thing and not have our schedule dictated, everyones tastes differ
and Mike is not alone in enjoying cruising I however would not go on one
if they paid me (and they used to do just that!!) not enough plants and
too much sea, thats why we live in a cold bit of cornwall, its as far
from the sea as I could get!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 07-01-2008, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
On 7/1/08 16:28, in article
, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote after..
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

[...]

I think I do pretty well getting Liz on the Levada walks, I think Cable
cars are not an option, we are talking about the girl who walked up Table
mountain rather than ride, and my arm has never recovered from the
helicopter ride to Tresco abbey gardens (if I had know she was that
strong she could have carried her own cases!)

Old 07-01-2008, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

There is a spectacular cable car that runs from Cairns to Kuranda in
Queensland which just skims over the tops of the rainforest trees. A must
for any plants person.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

My Daughter and Son in Law did that a couple of years ago and said it was
fantastic. We are going to Cairns after our next Winter Cruise on Diamond
Princess when we spend some time doing the 'must sees'.

Mike

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk for ALL Royal Navy Association matters
"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will be there.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/1/08 17:36, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...
On 7/1/08 16:28, in article
, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote after..
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

[...]

Oh, poor thing! I *love* that helicopter ride. If it's any consolation to
her, tell her that my step-daughter took the boat to Tresco the first time
she visited. When she emerged from that horror, pea-green and almost
prostrate, she said that either they flew back or she was there for the rest
of her life. ;-)
I don't mind being on heights but I don't like going up ladders, though it
used never to bother me. And there's one bit of cliff, not far from
Formentor, that's a look out point on Majorca which has my heart in my
mouth. You hold on to a rail but it's not just a sheer drop, the cliff
actually curves slightly inwards beneath you so there is no reassuring rock
face to stare at. Last time I was there, someone had casually put their
child to sit on the edge of the wall and I had to leave very quickly. They
were holding onto it but knowing how fast children can squirm and move I was
in a mire just looking at its innocent little face.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:

My Daughter and Son in Law did that a couple of years ago and said it was
fantastic. We are going to Cairns after our next Winter Cruise on Diamond
Princess when we spend some time doing the 'must sees'.

Mike

Oh gawd - he just can't see it!!!

Jeff
Old 07-01-2008, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 20:46:55 GMT, Jeff Taylor
wrote:

'Mike' wrote:

My Daughter and Son in Law did that a couple of years ago and said it was
fantastic. We are going to Cairns after our next Winter Cruise on Diamond
Princess when we spend some time doing the 'must sees'.

Mike

Oh gawd - he just can't see it!!!

Jeff

Yes he can, even Mike is not that stupid - he's just being
provocative.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
On 7/1/08 17:32, in article
,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

snip
if they paid me (and they used to do just that!!) not enough plants and
too much sea, thats why we live in a cold bit of cornwall, its as far
from the sea as I could get!

Too much sea?! You heathen! ;-) My parents sent me to school in deepest
Worcestershire and it took me ages to figure out why I felt so disorientated
to begin with. If they'd sat down for a fortnight and figured out how far
they could get me from the sea, they couldn't have done much better. I feel
at my happiest and best when I can see the sea right in front of me or all
around me. I'm a bit puzzled as to your reasons for choosing your past
career, Charlie!

Well I did love it at the time but after 6 months on a ship that spent a
total 9 days in port it starts to wear a bit thin, especially as I was
always planning the gardening during the wee small hours, I suspect the
public would like to think our minds were more on the job going down the
channel at 20 knots!
But the real reason for giving up was it got harder and harder to say
good by to the children (allthough by the time they were teenagers I
rather think they would have signed me on themselves)
Old 07-01-2008, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...

But the real reason for giving up was it got harder and harder to say
good by to the children (allthough by the time they were teenagers I
rather think they would have signed me on themselves)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

That's when they were teenagers, what are they like now;-))?

If they are like mine you wouldn't be without them and they wouldn't be
without you. We have just spent a fantastic 16 days on Queen Victoria
celebrating our Golden Wedding with ALL of them, and their wives, husbands,
partner and Grandson and it has been superb. Even the other passengers and
the Captain joined in to make it one big party. We are all still together in
this day when so many families are split and divided.

Kind regards

Mike

Old 07-01-2008, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
There is a spectacular cable car that runs from Cairns to Kuranda in
Queensland which just skims over the tops of the rainforest trees. A must
for any plants person.

My Daughter and Son in Law did that a couple of years ago and said it was
fantastic. We are going to Cairns after our next Winter Cruise on Diamond
Princess when we spend some time doing the 'must sees'.

Cairns is for the kids, Port Douglas is the place and it's 70km North
towards the Daintree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Douglas,_Queensland

http://www.daintreerainforest.com/

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-01-2008, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The Gardens on Madeira

On 7/1/08 22:58, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...
On 7/1/08 17:32, in article
,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

snip
[...]

My sole attempt at on-board gardening while small boat sailing was a small
pot of herbs and an Aloe vera on an Endurance 37. The poor Aloe suffered
everything I could throw at it. I forgot to water it - good. I
accidentally hurled it to the floor while closing the companion way hatch -
bad. I let it get sunburn - bad. I blasted it with a hose while cleaning
the decks - good/bad. And I broke bits off it for sunburn or gyroscoping
oven burns - good for me but bad for it. It must be one of the most
forgiving plants on earth!
What were you on while barrelling dangerously through our coastal waterways?
You remind me why I've never wanted to do a Channel crossing finding the Med
from Coruna to Cyprus far safer!! ;-)
In seriousness, we met a lot of people doing the Med circuit who had
mini-gardens and most of them were herbs for cooking. They were carefully
stowed in the sink below decks during a passage and then taken up on deck
for some lovely hot sun again. Enticing smells from the cockpit as one
strolled along the dock were the norm. I did notice that most of the boats
with any kind of plant on them had a female "ship's wife", though. The
solitary male sailor didn't seem to worry too much about a floating garden.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
On 7/1/08 22:58, in article
,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...
On 7/1/08 17:32, in article
,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

snip
[...]

I gave up on the passenger carrying ships fairly early on, the pay was
rubbish in those days as you were supposed to do it for the love of the
passengers or something but I thought they were what spoiled it! (and I
hated doing neat and tidy) I was on oil tankers most of my time at sea,
indoor plants were comparatively rare, so if any were present I would
usually propagate them and spread them around the ship and I used to grow
melons and oranges, avocado's etc from the seeds, I grew them wedged in
the port boxes, on one ship which was permanently in the North Sea we
boarded over the swimming pool with clear novalux sheeting and grew
tomatoes, the whole construction disappeared the next winter in a storm.
It was actually while aboard ship crossing the south Atlantic that my
interest in Clematis viticella started, someone had left a chilterns seed
catalogue in the ships library I think it was quite early on in the
companies history, anyway Liz must have thought compared to some my
schemes and ideas that one was harmless, little did she know!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

O T. Visit to Madeira The Hound United Kingdom 2 02-12-2005 04:51 PM
Madeira Charlie Pridham United Kingdom 10 24-09-2003 12:21 PM
Madeira Charlie Pridham United Kingdom 0 18-09-2003 09:15 AM
non vasculars in MADEIRA help daniel vega Plant Science 1 18-06-2003 11:56 AM
madeira non vascular help daniel vega Plant Science 0 16-06-2003 10:56 PM