Old 29-01-2008, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Eucalyptus tree

This is my first time posting here, but I'm hoping you can give me
some advice.
I read this previous thread with interest: http://tinyurl.com/2cuh86.

I'm afraid I have no idea what species my eucalyptus is: it was here
when we bought the house. I'm in Cambridgeshire.
My tree is quite close to my house (~4m), but actually closer to my
neighbour's. I'd estimate it to be around 4-5m tall and it seems like
around a metre of this growth has been in the last year (but do
correct me if that sounds wildly inaccurate).

I'd like to know whether I ought to get someone out to lop it or
remove it altogether or whether it's safe to leave it (I really like
it). I've been rather scared by the idea it could grow extremely
tall, but also confused by the number of species and effect of
climate. Also, if I need to get it seen to - are there any rough
ideas as to the cost?

I should add that my gardening knowledge is virtually non-existant.
Grateful for any hints.
Jo
Old 29-01-2008, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29 Jan, 15:02, wrote:
[...]

Can you describe the leaves - are they round or long, do they turn red
in the autumn and do you get little pompom white flowers in the spring
and finally is the bark dark or does it peel off at places.

Our eucalyptus fell during a gale in 2006 and we had to chop it down.
It costed us approx £200 from a tree surgeon in Manchester. It had
passed well over the roof of our house (and the neighbour's one) and
the wind catched it then and there and fell it onto my neighbour's
wall, takin gutters and tv arial down with it. It just stayed there,
leaning on its side. It was very scary and I was very upset to see it
go. It was planted at about 3m from our back door, very close indeed
to our house.

Old 29-01-2008, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 29, 3:02*pm, wrote:
[...]

Jo, it all depends on what type of Eucalyptus it is. I had Eucalyptus
Gunni about 3 metres from the house and it didn't create any
problems. Google Gunni and see if that is any help to you.

Judith
Old 29-01-2008, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/1/08 15:56, in article
,
"judith.lea" wrote:

On Jan 29, 3:02*pm, wrote:
[...]

E. gunnii is certainly one of the most popular sold in UK. But this site
will be helpful to Jo, I think. http://www.macfoliage.co.uk/
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-01-2008, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 29, 3:51*pm, wrote:

Can you describe the leaves - are they round or long, do they turn red
in the autumn and do you get little pompom white flowers in the spring
and finally is the bark dark or does it peel off at places.

It certainly looks like the images of gunni: round leaves, silvery
with a tinge of red at times. Don't recall seeing any flowers on it.
I will have a look at it when I get home.

Thanks
Jo

Old 29-01-2008, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
On 29/1/08 15:56, in article
,
"judith.lea" wrote:

On Jan 29, 3:02 pm, wrote:
[...]

Our neighbour has one with long pointed leaves and what looks like
clusters of elderberries. 20 years ago he thought it would make a nice
border plant and it's now about 50 feet tall. I hope we never have an
easterly gale! A magnificent specimen though, and I'll certainly miss it
if it has to go.
Old 29-01-2008, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 29, 4:03*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 29/1/08 15:56, in article
,

"judith.lea" wrote:
On Jan 29, 3:02*pm, wrote:
[...]

children.'- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Sacha, I also will find that a useful site.

Judith
Old 29-01-2008, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

judith.lea wrote:

Jo, it all depends on what type of Eucalyptus it is. I had Eucalyptus
Gunni about 3 metres from the house and it didn't create any
problems.

It probably wouldn't until it gets to 20m and blows over onto the house
(they often have shallow root systems), or drops a large branch onto it.
See section 9 he
http://www.nhbc.co.uk/NHBCpublicatio...d,15901,en.pdf

Most of the hardy eucalypts can grow to quite a size. And they are quick.
I made the mistake of thinking that E. rodwayi was a small tree (probably
misread "m" as "ft"). When it grew to more than 6m in 4 years from seed, I
checked and found it would make more than 20m. I dug it up PDQ.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 29-01-2008, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29 Jan, 16:25, wrote:
It certainly looks like the images of gunni: round leaves, silvery
with a tinge of red at times. *Don't recall seeing any flowers on it.
I will have a look at it when I get home.

Sounds like it is quite young if you still have round leaves, as this
is the juvenal stage. As it matures, it will get longer leaves and
more leaves will go red and fall. If you like it like this, I would
get a surgeon to prune it, not chop it down! It is still at a
manageable stage and therefore I don't see why it should go. Perhaps
ask the surgeon to bring it to a level you can then manage yourself.
If you keep pruning it every other year, you could enjoy it's off cuts
in flower arrangements around your home, dry some leaves to perfume
some room and see the flowers appear no doubt very soon - sounds like
your tree is about 4 years old.

ps. the most the eucalyptus grow in one year is around 20cm - I can't
immagine 1m, but with the weird weather we've had, nothing is
impossible anymore!
Old 29-01-2008, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

g'day jo,

wow long time ago that tiny url thread, i had responded to that
person, as they ash said they had a forest gum theya re the ones the
grow huge and should never be in suburbia, i understated the distance
for safety that should read a minimum of 1.5 times the height of the
tree from any structure.

so a tree of 40' should be min' 60' but the tree is going to grow to
more like 60' or 80', you can work out the minimum distances from that
but for me the minimum should be twice the full height of the mature
tree so 60' becomes 120'.

so in the case of the post that tree should be removed.

lopping promotes less stable branch growths there is no way to make
large forest gums safe for a suburbian situation.

at this stage we don't know which variety you have but in either case
it is still too close to the house, while it is this height and easy
to cut down shy not consider that and buy anotehr to plant say 8 or 10
meters from te house, or maybe a more suitable tree for you climate
ie.,. one of you native species?

my web page url has changed since that tiny url post when i was known
as gardenlen.

can't suggest a cost for removal you will need to ring someone who
does that locally and get the costs from them, most of them chip up
waht they cut down so you may also be able to keep the chip from you
tree for the garden.

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 07:02:59 -0800 (PST), wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 29-01-2008, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
len gardener writes:

| so a tree of 40' should be min' 60' but the tree is going to grow to
| more like 60' or 80', you can work out the minimum distances from that
| but for me the minimum should be twice the full height of the mature
| tree so 60' becomes 120'.

They typically don't grow to full height in the UK, as it's too dark
for them - but they can still get pretty big.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-01-2008, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article b05afb52-4c47-4735-a2fe-
, says...
On 29 Jan, 16:25, wrote:
[...]

It rather depends I have seen growth of over 2M per year and I know that
if you cut down an established tree the regrowth can be more than that,
so if all you get is 20cm you may be being a bit mean to your plant in
some way!
The only problems we have with them is when we get wind speeds in excess
of 90 they tend to snap off or blow over.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 29-01-2008, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 29, 6:01*pm, Sacha wrote:
It seems the most probable, I'd say, only because it's the best known. *Of
course, that in itself isn't conclusive! * The flowers are silvery and leave
cup shaped fruit. *You *might* have Eucalyptus cinerea, the silver dollar
gum, but that's pretty unusual.

Just in case you don't see my other post about Eucalyptus perriniana, you
might like to look that one up on Google images, too.

I've googled E perriniana and E cinerea and it's definitely neither of
those.

I went out to have a look and it has some rounder leaves with a tinge
of red, but some of the leaves are more of a narrow oval.
The bark is smooth and peeling. I looked at a photo of the E gunni
flowers, and I really don't think it's ever flowered.
It's in a south/east facing position.

I must admit, I'm beginning to think it's time to get someone to bring
it under control. If it's going to continue growing much more, it
does seem to be rather too close (and you can bet if it goes over, it
will be into my neighbour's house!)

Thanks for all your responses, much appreciated
Jo