Old 30-01-2008, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default 1940's Garden

On 30 Jan, 09:49, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
You can sow the seeds, but it will probably regrow from its tuber
when the weather warms up. *Keep it pretty dry until then. *Both
the tuber and seeds need very well-drained soil, warm and sunny
conditions when growing, but don't mind down to almost freezing
when dormant and dry.

Dry ... that's what I worried about a bit. It's in the ground in my
veranda^^conservatory and it doesn't look really dry there. Though no
water comes direct on that patch, it must take water from outside,
which is at the same level of a raised bed. It is well drained, so
hoping I'm in luck. I didn't want to remove it and store it. It looked
so established.

I grew it (from seed) for some years, but it got a root rot of some
sort and effectively died.

Here's the seeds I have. I would be so happy to send you some. I have
the Rothschildiana. Blue skies today and freezing. Perfect really ;o)

http://cjoint.com/?bEmKRMLgm8
Old 30-01-2008, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

'Mike' wrote:
I have been invited to present a 1940's Night and would love to know
what you grew in your garden in the 1940's. I would also welcome any
recipe from the 1940's

AND, jokes from the 1940's???????????

Mike

Half of my nan's garden was given over to a hen house and run. I can still
remember the foul (excuse the pun) smell of the peelings and 'stuff' being
boiled up to feed them.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 30-01-2008, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening, uk.food+drink.misc

On Jan 30, 12:09*pm, "Pete C" wrote:
'Mike' wrote:
I have been invited to present a 1940's Night and would love to know
what you grew in your garden in the 1940's. I would also welcome any
recipe from the 1940's

AND, jokes from the 1940's???????????

Mike

Half of my nan's garden was given over to a hen house and run. I can still
remember the foul (excuse the pun) smell of the peelings and 'stuff' being
boiled up to feed them.
--
Pete C
London UK

Pete, are you not at work today??? G

Judith
Old 30-01-2008, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

"Pete C" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:
I have been invited to present a 1940's Night and would love to know
what you grew in your garden in the 1940's. I would also welcome any
recipe from the 1940's

AND, jokes from the 1940's???????????

Mike

Half of my nan's garden was given over to a hen house and run. I can still
remember the foul (excuse the pun) smell of the peelings and 'stuff' being
boiled up to feed them.
--
Pete C
London UK

Pun accepted ;-)

That foul smell was the Bran which was mixed in. I had chickens in the 60's
and did the same thing. The birds loved it ;-)

Not sure but I believe that the Bran was available if you registered that
you had chickens. Will have to check that one out.

Can anyone remember Day Old Chicks for sale under a lamp on the Mac Fish
slab? I can in Kingston on Thames Market during the War.

Mike

After a lot of trouble www.nsrafa.org is now up and running for the National
Service RAF man

Old 30-01-2008, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

Not sure but I believe that the Bran was available if you registered that
you had chickens. Will have to check that one out.

Found it. If you gave up your shell egg allocation you get a balancer meal
for the birds instead 5lb a month by 1945. Interesting point, you were not
allowed to keep more than 25 birds or it was deemed commercial and you had
to sell your eggs to the packing station.

Old 30-01-2008, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

Can anyone remember Day Old Chicks for sale under a lamp on the Mac Fish
slab? I can in Kingston on Thames Market during the War.

"I've got a thousand day old chicks going cheap"

"What do you expect them to do, bark?"

Steve

Old 30-01-2008, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

"'Mike'" wrote in message
I have been invited to present a 1940's Night and would love to know what
you grew in your garden in the 1940's. I would also welcome any recipe from
the 1940's

AND, jokes from the 1940's???????????
Mike

I didn't have a garden in the 1940's but I remember my granddad's..... :~)

WW II jokes:
http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/87/3707.html
http://new-joke-everyday.blogspot.co...ld-war-ii.html
and a LOT more he http://fun.xaviermedia.com/jokes/war/

Stuff about rationing in wwII
http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/s...a2915705.shtml
http://www.birchovervillage.co.uk/bi...ortiesFood.htm

Old British music hall joke: 'My dog's got no nose'. 'How does he smell?'
'Terrible

Slightly older (1920's) but still popular when I was young: Albert and the
Lion :
http://monologues.co.uk/Albert_and_the_Lion.htm

Jenny

Old 30-01-2008, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

"JennyC" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you Jenny I have 'stored' them. Had quite a few funny ones sent to me
today, not all WWII but nevertheless funny. The trouble I have in telling
jokes is remembering them all and the punch line ;-)

Old 31-01-2008, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

"'Mike'" wrote
Thank you Jenny I have 'stored' them. Had quite a few funny ones sent to
me today, not all WWII but nevertheless funny. The trouble I have in
telling jokes is remembering them all and the punch line ;-)

Mike

Print them out in LARGE letters so you can read without peering at the
paper.
Or just make a list of key words to remind you........
Jenny

Old 31-01-2008, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

In message , 'Mike'
writes
I have been invited to present a 1940's Night and would love to know what
you grew in your garden in the 1940's. I would also welcome any recipe from
the 1940's

AND, jokes from the 1940's???????????

Mike

Why don't you ask O? That's her line of work.
--
June Hughes
Old 31-01-2008, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

In article ,
"mark" writes:
| "Sacha" wrote in message
| . uk...
|
| But you must admit that Nick's reply is a gem, even if it goes
| unrecognised!
|
| .....may well be a little gem.... but lettuce wait and see what happens
| next...

We need to squash that sort of thing!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-01-2008, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

On 31/1/08 12:59, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
"mark" writes:
| "Sacha" wrote in message
| . uk...
|
| But you must admit that Nick's reply is a gem, even if it goes
| unrecognised!
|
| .....may well be a little gem.... but lettuce wait and see what happens
| next...

We need to squash that sort of thing!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Maybe tom-orrow.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 31-01-2008, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 13:14:25 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 31/1/08 12:59, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
"mark" writes:
| "Sacha" wrote in message
| . uk...
|
| But you must admit that Nick's reply is a gem, even if it goes
| unrecognised!
|
| .....may well be a little gem.... but lettuce wait and see what happens
| next...

We need to squash that sort of thing!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.