Old 15-03-2008, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default My New Zealand photos.

I have spent the weekend uploading photos from my New Zealand holiday,
over Christmas and New Year.
I have put them on Flickr. I've never done this before and found it a
frustrating process. If you want to do too much organising you have
to pay extra!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pamsnz/
I set up 3 sets but that's all I'm allowed. I cannot work out how to
rearrange the photos in some logical sequence. They've gone in in the
order I uploaded them.
The"Flowers" set speaks for itself, "Christchurch" has the Botanic
Gardens and "Singapore" has a lot from the Orchid Garden.Any Flickr
users who can give private advice, or comments, please email me.
Pam dot moore at virgin dot net

Pam in Bristol
Old 15-03-2008, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
I have spent the weekend uploading photos from my New Zealand holiday,
over Christmas and New Year.
I have put them on Flickr. I've never done this before and found it a
frustrating process. If you want to do too much organising you have
to pay extra!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pamsnz/
I set up 3 sets but that's all I'm allowed. I cannot work out how to
rearrange the photos in some logical sequence. They've gone in in the
order I uploaded them.
The"Flowers" set speaks for itself, "Christchurch" has the Botanic
Gardens and "Singapore" has a lot from the Orchid Garden.Any Flickr
users who can give private advice, or comments, please email me.
Pam dot moore at virgin dot net

Pam in Bristol

Lovely Pam. Brought back a lot of memories the shots in the Orchid Gardens
in Singapore and Raffles :-)

There were lots of Japanese Art Students in the Orchid gardens when we were
there.

Going to New Zealand and Australia at the end of the year. Cruising NZ then
across to Tasmania and Sydney. :-)

Mike

Old 15-03-2008, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
I have spent the weekend uploading photos from my New Zealand holiday,
over Christmas and New Year.
I have put them on Flickr. I've never done this before and found it a
frustrating process. If you want to do too much organising you have
to pay extra!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pamsnz/
I set up 3 sets but that's all I'm allowed. I cannot work out how to
rearrange the photos in some logical sequence. They've gone in in the
order I uploaded them.
The"Flowers" set speaks for itself, "Christchurch" has the Botanic
Gardens and "Singapore" has a lot from the Orchid Garden.Any Flickr
users who can give private advice, or comments, please email me.
Pam dot moore at virgin dot net

Love your photos. We drove from Dunedin all through South Island about 10
years ago and your pictures brought back memories. We didn't get to ChCh,
but I would love to see the botanic garden there. We will try and make a
trip maybe this year.

My father was born in the small village of Ben Har, south of Dunedin, in
1897, so he is now considered a "pioneer".

someone

Old 16-03-2008, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pamsnz/
I set up 3 sets but that's all I'm allowed. I cannot work out how to
rearrange the photos in some logical sequence. They've gone in in the
order I uploaded them.

Pam in Bristol

You have taken some very nice pictures, I believe you would find it much
more satisfying and rewarding to utilise your allocated ISP web space to
design and set up your own website.

It is not at all difficult if you choose to work with one of the HTML
editors that work on the WYSIWYG principal. (What you see is what you get) I
have used Fxexpress for years to make I hope what have been interesting
sites, there is no need to take up time learning HTML language. The site I
have recently completed is to do with a house sale, but could just as well
be used to show a map with leads to points where your pictures are
relative. - http://www.umtali.force9.co.uk/

Think about it arrange your pictures your way, there is lots of help out
there if you have a problem.

Peter T

Old 16-03-2008, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 09:39:59 -0000, "Peter T"
wrote:

You have taken some very nice pictures, I believe you would find it much
more satisfying and rewarding to utilise your allocated ISP web space to
design and set up your own website.

I think that is beyond me!

Pam in Bristol

Old 17-03-2008, 01:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

You have taken some very nice pictures, I believe you would find it much
more satisfying and rewarding to utilise your allocated ISP web space to
design and set up your own website.

I think that is beyond me!

Pam in Bristol

No it isn't! Peter's right, it's really not very difficult at all. And
it's fun to do it, too.

someone

Old 24-03-2008, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pamsnz/

Pam, thanks for putting these up!

I love the rainforest pics and your pics of the Purakaunui falls.

The Taieri pics have proved valuable already. Nobody believes me round
here that gorse is such a horror in NZ - so I have led certain people by
the nose to the screen. Thanks for the line underneath one of them
where you say they are considered "a weed". Maybe I will now be
believed, though I expect I will continue to hear "Ah, lovely yellow
gorse!" next time we're out in the car! Your Taieri pics are also
appreciated because I lived in Taieri & Mosgiel from the age of 1 to the
age of 4 !

Love your pics of Milford Sound too. They remind me that as stunning as
the fiords of Norway are, they aren't more impressive than NZ's.

Nice to see your pics of Christchurch Botanical Garden too! I always
think of the amazing Water Garden and Rose Garden and forget those
magnificent great trees which you have photographed.

That's rata you've photographed. And gorgeous too! Eeek. I'm getting
homesick!

Eddy.

Old 25-03-2008, 06:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Eddy" wrote in message
news
Pam Moore wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pamsnz/

Pam, thanks for putting these up!

I love the rainforest pics and your pics of the Purakaunui falls.

The Taieri pics have proved valuable already. Nobody believes me round
here that gorse is such a horror in NZ - so I have led certain people by
the nose to the screen. Thanks for the line underneath one of them
where you say they are considered "a weed". Maybe I will now be
believed, though I expect I will continue to hear "Ah, lovely yellow
gorse!" next time we're out in the car!

Right pain in the arse in gorse in NZ. Curse the immigrants for thinking it
made a nice 'hedge'. Big a pest as rabbits, stoats, ferrets, possums, goats,
thistles etc etc.

rob

Old 25-03-2008, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

George.com wrote:
Right pain in the arse in gorse in NZ. Curse the immigrants for thinking it
made a nice 'hedge'. Big a pest as rabbits, stoats, ferrets, possums, goats,
thistles etc etc.

Hi Rob! Nice to hear from someone in NZ! Have you seen that rather
impressive display in The Auckland War Memorial Museum? Downstairs, I
seek to remember. Anyway, a sort of massive table with a "march of the
European immigrant pests" on it! About 20 or so stuffed animals all
marching forwards like a battalion towards or across a map of New
Zealand drawn beneath their feet! You really get the drama of it, of
invaders out to destroy the native creatures, plants and trees. But at
the same time you look at the creatures and half of you is going "Ah,
what a fine looking stoat, ferret, rabbit, . . . " and so on!

Eddy.

Old 26-03-2008, 07:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Eddy" wrote in message
George.com wrote:
Right pain in the arse in gorse in NZ. Curse the immigrants for thinking
it
made a nice 'hedge'. Big a pest as rabbits, stoats, ferrets, possums,
goats,
thistles etc etc.

Hi Rob! Nice to hear from someone in NZ! Have you seen that rather
impressive display in The Auckland War Memorial Museum? Downstairs, I
seek to remember. Anyway, a sort of massive table with a "march of the
European immigrant pests" on it! About 20 or so stuffed animals all
marching forwards like a battalion towards or across a map of New
Zealand drawn beneath their feet! You really get the drama of it, of
invaders out to destroy the native creatures, plants and trees. But at
the same time you look at the creatures and half of you is going "Ah,
what a fine looking stoat, ferret, rabbit, . . . " and so on!

not been to the museum for a number of years now & not seen the animals
though iIcan guess what they will be. In a couple of days there will be
several additions of introduced 'english' pests including Sidebottom,
Strauss, Vaughan, Panesar & 'Lord Malfoy' Broad. We could also do you poms a
favour & add G Boycott if you like. If my auntie, visiting from Birmingham,
gloats too much she may join as well.

As for Auckland, here is a gardening piece of ******** you lot will like.
The "Ellerslie Flower Show" was for some years staged at the Ellerslie ( a
suburb of Auckland) Racecourse in central Auckland. When the event, and
traffic, outgrew the racecourse it got shipped out to the Botanical gardens
in South Auckland which was a good venue with heaps of access. A year or so
ago the Auckland City Council decided to cut back on its funding to the
event so the flower show put the event up for auction. It was won by
Christchurch. So now the 'Ellerslie' flower show is moving hundreds of
kilometres south to Christchurch. The 'Ellerslie' flower show in
Christchurch.

If that is not bizarre enough, the South Auckland council have decided to
stage an annual flower show to replace the one they lost. The Auckland City
Council has also decided to open the ratepayers wallet & hold a third flower
show back at the Ellerslie racecourse. Its enough to make you **** yourself
laughing, its so farcical.

Probably all arranged by our top order batsmen.

rob

Old 26-03-2008, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

George.com wrote:

not been to the museum for a number of years now & not seen the animals
though iIcan guess what they will be. In a couple of days there will be
several additions of introduced 'english' pests including Sidebottom,
Strauss, Vaughan, Panesar & 'Lord Malfoy' Broad. We could also do you poms a
favour & add G Boycott if you like. If my auntie, visiting from Birmingham,
gloats too much she may join as well.

Come now, these "pests" were/are invited by NZers to NZ !

As for Auckland, here is a gardening piece of ******** you lot will like.
The "Ellerslie Flower Show" was for some years staged at the Ellerslie ( a
suburb of Auckland) Racecourse in central Auckland. When the event, and
traffic, outgrew the racecourse it got shipped out to the Botanical gardens
in South Auckland which was a good venue with heaps of access. A year or so
ago the Auckland City Council decided to cut back on its funding to the
event so the flower show put the event up for auction. It was won by
Christchurch. So now the 'Ellerslie' flower show is moving hundreds of
kilometres south to Christchurch. The 'Ellerslie' flower show in
Christchurch.

Auckland to Christchurch - that's about 500 miles, including a
substantial ferry crossing at Cook Strait. Silly for them to keep
calling it the Ellerslie Flower Show then, isn't it. I remember when I
was a lad Christchurch had its own annual flower festival, as part of
the annual "Pan Pacific Arts Festival". Anyway, to be quite honest I
think Christchurch a far better location for a flower show, the whole
city being botannically more interesting than Auckland. However,
Auckland is one hell of a lot warmer, isn't it, and there are many
plants and trees that grow up in Auckland and beyond which simply won't
have it down in the London-like climate of Christchurch.

If that is not bizarre enough, the South Auckland council have decided to
stage an annual flower show to replace the one they lost. The Auckland City
Council has also decided to open the ratepayers wallet & hold a third flower
show back at the Ellerslie racecourse. Its enough to make you **** yourself
laughing, its so farcical.

Farcical indeed, Rob. Auckland City Council should be putting its
efforts into laying on public transport between the airport and
city-centre - not to mention improving public transport throughout
Auckland. The city could also do with a good deal of beautification -
particularly down around the harbour. You'ld think they would be
inspired by what Sydney has done with its coves!

Eddy.

Old 26-03-2008, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Eddy" wrote in message
George.com wrote:

not been to the museum for a number of years now & not seen the animals
though iIcan guess what they will be. In a couple of days there will be
several additions of introduced 'english' pests including Sidebottom,
Strauss, Vaughan, Panesar & 'Lord Malfoy' Broad. We could also do you
poms a
favour & add G Boycott if you like. If my auntie, visiting from
Birmingham,
gloats too much she may join as well.

Come now, these "pests" were/are invited by NZers to NZ !

have you met my auntie?

[...]

sub tropical plants, with a strong pacific flavour in late spring to a
sub-artic city, with nowt pacific about it and late summer (I think). QUITE
a big change.

rob

Old 26-03-2008, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

George.com wrote:

Come now, these "pests" were/are invited by NZers to NZ !

have you met my auntie?

Can you give me a link to a pic of this particular pest, please? :-)
It's obviously quite hardy, and perennial.

Auckland is one hell of a lot warmer, isn't it, and there are many
plants and trees that grow up in Auckland and beyond which simply won't
have it down in the London-like climate of Christchurch.

sub tropical plants, with a strong pacific flavour in late spring to a
sub-artic city, with nowt pacific about it and late summer (I think). QUITE
a big change.

"with nowt pacific about it", you say. Hmmm. Now, few real Kiwis ever
use the word "nowt". Are you SURE you're not really a "POM" yourself,
Rob? :-)

Eddy.

Old 27-03-2008, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Eddy" wrote in message
George.com wrote:

Come now, these "pests" were/are invited by NZers to NZ !

have you met my auntie?

Can you give me a link to a pic of this particular pest, please? :-)
It's obviously quite hardy, and perennial.

its actually an annual, she comes to visit once a year.

Auckland is one hell of a lot warmer, isn't it, and there are many
plants and trees that grow up in Auckland and beyond which simply won't
have it down in the London-like climate of Christchurch.

sub tropical plants, with a strong pacific flavour in late spring to a
sub-artic city, with nowt pacific about it and late summer (I think).
QUITE
a big change.

"with nowt pacific about it", you say. Hmmm. Now, few real Kiwis ever
use the word "nowt". Are you SURE you're not really a "POM" yourself,
Rob? :-)

theres nowt pommy about except for me ma & pa. I blame too many bloody
english gardening newsgroups.

rob

Old 27-03-2008, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"George.com" wrote in message

"Eddy" wrote in message
George.com wrote:

[...]

Lets put it another way. Christchurch will bludge off the hard yakka done by
the Jafas. They have done bugger all to build the event up, and left the
Auckland event to cark it. Fair go? Get of the grass.

The jafas have to watch their event go bush down the boohai with some sheep
cockies. No wonder the jafas packed a sad. An event that was grouse and used
to be chocka with pacific influence will now have bugger all. Its a crook
deal, enough to make a joker want to chunder. The cockies will have shit
show of running a similar event.

That said, the jafa council said they were strapped for cash and turned into
a bunch of pikers. They had three fifths of five eights of **** all one
minute, and then enough money for a flower hooley the next. And not wanting
to send it to the south Auckland wops, the townies have the show in the
original venue. I reckon something is puckeroo here. Got it sussed they
reckon eh? Wouldn't know shit from clay? You are not wrong.

rob

New Zealand yam Dwayne United Kingdom 12 30-06-2003 03:22 PM
Is New Zealand Sphagnum WAS repotting Andrew Orchids 1 24-06-2003 11:56 AM
New Zealand Flax by Mail Order? Don W Gardening 1 07-06-2003 03:20 PM
new zealand flax expert question!! mcameron, bill Gardening 8 06-06-2003 04:56 PM
New Zealand alpines - new photos Geoff Bryant United Kingdom 0 15-01-2003 12:27 AM