Old 03-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
What i do know is that there isnt an easy answer to
slugs, and Mikes original experiment idea might hit on something.
There is more in electrical copper than pure copper anyway, the whole idea
of tinned wire creating an electrolytic effect MIGHT be a deterrent for a
problem.
Try connecting a 9v battery across the 2 wires might be even more effective.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Copper Anti Slug and Snail Rings

"Anne Jackson" wrote ...
"Bob Hobden" contains these words:
"Anne Jackson" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" contains these words:

Got some copper pipe I could flatten on the Anvil :-))

If you could split it lengthways first so it's twice the depth, even
better.
I too have quite a bit of copper pipe in the garage so I'll try the
metal
cutting disc on the angle grinder... should work.

How much would you need? I could send you some of our scrap pieces of
the copper ridge we use on roofs, so you could experiment, if you want?

It is 15 cms deep, with flutes (just like a scone cutter) on each side.
Being shaped in an inverted 'V', it would probably be best to cut it in
half, for posting, though. (You can see it on the website.)

That's very kind Anne but it would cost a fortune from Perthshire surely?

Depends how much you need - and postage is tax deductable! ;-)

I've sent you an e-mail direct Anne.

Thanks
Bob Hobden

Old 04-05-2008, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , lnw
writes

Copper is very expensive so I've bought a few of those copper-coloured pot
scrubbers from Wilko. They're cheapish and appear to have a thin copper
coating, maybe they will work and snarl up the slugs. I intend to pull
apart a pot scraper and make it into a circle to fit around the top of a
pot. At any rate, the slugs will get theyselves cut up trying get through
the pot scraper, I hope.

We have been using adhesive copper tape around large containers of
hostas for the last 3 years and it definitely works as slug barrier. We
started off buying it in gc's at £5 for a 4 metre roll, but this year
found a supplier on ebay selling 3 x 3 metres for around £7.
--
Robert
Old 05-05-2008, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"robert" wrote in message
In message , lnw
writes

Copper is very expensive so I've bought a few of those copper-coloured pot
scrubbers from Wilko. They're cheapish and appear to have a thin copper
coating, maybe they will work and snarl up the slugs. I intend to pull
apart a pot scraper and make it into a circle to fit around the top of a
pot. At any rate, the slugs will get theyselves cut up trying get through
the pot scraper, I hope.

We have been using adhesive copper tape around large containers of hostas
for the last 3 years and it definitely works as slug barrier. We started
off buying it in gc's at £5 for a 4 metre roll, but this year found a
supplier on ebay selling 3 x 3 metres for around £7.
--
Robert

How do you keep slugs away from ground-grown plants?

Mary

Old 05-05-2008, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 04/05/08 19:50, robert wrote:
In message , lnw
writes

Copper is very expensive so I've bought a few of those copper-coloured
pot
scrubbers from Wilko. They're cheapish and appear to have a thin copper
coating, maybe they will work and snarl up the slugs. I intend to pull
apart a pot scraper and make it into a circle to fit around the top of a
pot. At any rate, the slugs will get theyselves cut up trying get through
the pot scraper, I hope.

We have been using adhesive copper tape around large containers of
hostas for the last 3 years and it definitely works as slug barrier. We
started off buying it in gc's at £5 for a 4 metre roll, but this year
found a supplier on ebay selling 3 x 3 metres for around £7.

Copper... does it just deter slugs or does it kill em?

Ed

Old 05-05-2008, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 5 May 2008 11:06:44 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

How do you keep slugs away from ground-grown plants?

Carefully lift ground with spade and place in pot...

Geo
Old 05-05-2008, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

How do you keep slugs away from ground-grown plants?

Carefully lift ground with spade and place in pot...

?

Mary

Old 05-05-2008, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
news-edna_CSaWetYLVnZ2dnUVZ8uqdnZ2d@plusnet...

Copper... does it just deter slugs or does it kill em?

It don't kill 'em - in my experience :-(

Mary

Old 05-05-2008, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"robert" wrote in message
In message , lnw
writes

Copper is very expensive so I've bought a few of those copper-coloured pot
scrubbers from Wilko. They're cheapish and appear to have a thin copper
coating, maybe they will work and snarl up the slugs. I intend to pull
apart a pot scraper and make it into a circle to fit around the top of a
pot. At any rate, the slugs will get theyselves cut up trying get through
the pot scraper, I hope.

We have been using adhesive copper tape around large containers of hostas
for the last 3 years and it definitely works as slug barrier. We started
off buying it in gc's at £5 for a 4 metre roll, but this year found a
supplier on ebay selling 3 x 3 metres for around £7.
--
Robert

How do you keep slugs away from ground-grown plants?

We gave up and grow shrubs that are not that attractive to slugs. If we
were still persevering I would use nematodes.

--
Robert
Old 05-05-2008, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message D-edna_CSaWetYLVnZ2dnUVZ8uqdnZ2d@plusnet, Ed
writes
On 04/05/08 19:50, robert wrote:
In message , lnw
writes

Copper is very expensive so I've bought a few of those
copper-coloured pot
scrubbers from Wilko. They're cheapish and appear to have a thin copper
coating, maybe they will work and snarl up the slugs. I intend to pull
apart a pot scraper and make it into a circle to fit around the top of a
pot. At any rate, the slugs will get theyselves cut up trying get through
the pot scraper, I hope.

We have been using adhesive copper tape around large containers of
hostas for the last 3 years and it definitely works as slug barrier.
started off buying it in gc's at £5 for a 4 metre roll, but this year
found a supplier on ebay selling 3 x 3 metres for around £7.

Copper... does it just deter slugs or does it kill em?

Just deters them.

--
Robert

Old 06-05-2008, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 2, 1:54 pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
I have some old scrap cable under the bench somewhere. Thought I would give
it a try on making some rings/hoops and putting them round the plants as
they come up :-)

Could try to be clever ;-) and put two rings round, one inside the other
about 1 Centimetre apart, but one made of tinned copper wire, then, when the
slug/snail goes over it, there just might be an Electric Current formed by
virtue of two dissimilar metals thus we have our own little Cathodic
Protection system ;-)

Watch this space

Mike

--www.rneba.org.uk. The Royal Naval Electrical Branch Association.

Whats the problem with blue pellet slug killer?

Adam

asked nevously after spreading a load over front bed....
Old 06-05-2008, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Adam Aglionby" wrote in message
On May 2, 1:54 pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
[...]

I encourage, and we have lots of Birds in the garden AND Blackbirds have
been nesting just above the Veg Garden.

Mike

Old 09-05-2008, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
, Adam
Aglionby writes

Whats the problem with blue pellet slug killer?

Coming in a bit late on this one...

I'm not sure how much of a danger they are - eg to birds that might eat
poisoned slugs/snails. Our main problem is snails rather than slugs. I
don't like the idea of using poison pellets but in frustration,
sometimes end up doing so.

I saw something a while back about a different sort of slug pellet - an
iron compound of some sort that isn't poisonous as such - but apparently
kills slugs by blowing them up (in the stomach filling rather than
explosive manner) I think.

If it works, I'd guess it was a double win - as instead of leaving
unsightly slug/snail remains over the garden, you could just go out with
a big magnet and gather them up

However, I haven't actually come across it to buy yet

--
regards andyw
Old 09-05-2008, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"newsb" wrote in message
news
In article
, Adam
Aglionby writes

Whats the problem with blue pellet slug killer?

Coming in a bit late on this one...

I'm not sure how much of a danger they are - eg to birds that might eat
poisoned slugs/snails. Our main problem is snails rather than slugs. I
don't like the idea of using poison pellets but in frustration, sometimes
end up doing so.

We have no problem with snails - the hens eat them. Get a couple of bantams
:-)

Slugs however, aren't as tasty, it eems.

Mary

Old 28-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
Robert wrote In message

We have been using adhesive copper tape around large containers of
hostas for the last 3 years and it definitely works as slug barrier. We
started off buying it in gc's at £5 for a 4 metre roll, but this year
found a supplier on ebay selling 3 x 3 metres for around £7.
I have a large sunflower which i recently repotted into a far bigger pot. (There's nowhere good outside to plant it)

The very next morning after repotting it, some chunks were missing from near the base of the stem, it looked a little like someone had taken a knife and scraped two slices off. There were some trails nearby so I assumed snails/slugs.

I bought copper tape and stuck it around the pot, but this morning even more had been nibbled away and a fresh trail was visible just near the plant.

I've read that slugs can move underground. Is it possible that there's one living in the compost of the pot itself? This sounds strange but I couldn't see a trail on the side of the pot, only right next to the stem base, leading a short distance away from it then disappearing.

If this is possible, does anyone have any idea what I can do, other than using pellets?

Or, does anyone know of anything else that could cause this kind of damage? (Other than sabotage which did briefly cross my mind...)

I'm extremely worried about my sunflower. We're having a small competition amongst friends, and it's grown so huge already I can't afford to lose it!

Pete Hurst