Old 12-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Registered User

Default Summerhouses!

Alrighty guys, need your help. Any good places (online or indeed offline) that I can find a good range of summerhouses? Went into my local Dobby's yesterday and they had a range that totalled to 2 summerhouses in total, and they just seemed really low quality to me - not that I claim to be an expert or anything...

So anyone got any recommendations? I live in/around Edinburgh, so any decent stores around there would be helpful; and of course, online sites would be great too!
Old 12-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakethePirate View Post
Alrighty guys, need your help. Any good places (online or indeed offline) that I can find a good range of summerhouses? Went into my local Dobby's yesterday and they had a range that totalled to 2 summerhouses in total, and they just seemed really low quality to me - not that I claim to be an expert or anything...

So anyone got any recommendations? I live in/around Edinburgh, so any decent stores around there would be helpful; and of course, online sites would be great too!
Google is your friend?

Okay, that's a little unhelpful, and I do actually have something useful to say! I bought a summerhouse about 10 weeks ago from Gardener's World.net - they've got a pretty decent selection of summerhouses, and the one I ordered (this one, if you're interested) hasn't fallen apart yet! Kids love it and I'm really happy I invested in it - although it's been attrocious weather recently, so hasn't been getting much use.

Hope that helps, mate!
Old 12-06-2008, 05:05 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptUnderpants View Post
Google is your friend?

Okay, that's a little unhelpful, and I do actually have something useful to say! I bought a summerhouse about 10 weeks ago from Gardener's World.net - they've got a pretty decent selection of summerhouses, and the one I ordered (this one, if you're interested) hasn't fallen apart yet! Kids love it and I'm really happy I invested in it - although it's been attrocious weather recently, so hasn't been getting much use.

Hope that helps, mate!
Very funny :

But yeah, thanks for that. Am having a browse as we speak!
Old 12-06-2008, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I saw one of these at GW Live yesterday...

http://www.cotswoldshepherdshuts.co.uk/index.html

....and thought it would make an unusual and practical garden building.
I like the idea of not having to build it, nor any foundations -- and
also being able to move it around the garden when the mood takes.

Old 13-06-2008, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
I saw one of these at GW Live yesterday...

http://www.cotswoldshepherdshuts.co.uk/index.html

...and thought it would make an unusual and practical garden building. I
like the idea of not having to build it, nor any foundations -- and also
being able to move it around the garden when the mood takes.

If it's easily moved by Man isn't it easily moved by wind?

Mary

Old 13-06-2008, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
JakethePirate said:

Alrighty guys, need your help. Any good places (online or indeed
offline) that I can find a good range of summerhouses? Went into my
local Dobby's yesterday and they had a range that totalled to 2
summerhouses in total, and they just seemed really low quality to me -
not that I claim to be an expert or anything...

So anyone got any recommendations? I live in/around Edinburgh, so any
decent stores around there would be helpful; and of course, online
sites would be great too!

http://www.gilliesandmackay.com/

Based at Errol, in Perthshire, they built both my garden shed and
my summerhouse. I am thoroughly delighted with both.

I've been spending an hour or so in my little greenhouse recently, "tending
the crops".

It's been so gentle that I've thought that when I don't grow anything any
more it would be a lovely summer house, conservatory, whatever. Sheltered,
warm, enough room for a table and chairs ... I wonder if anyone else has
used a greenhouse like this?

Mary

-
AnneJ

Old 14-06-2008, 02:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2008-06-13 20:15:28 +0100, "Mary Fisher" said:

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
I saw one of these at GW Live yesterday...

http://www.cotswoldshepherdshuts.co.uk/index.html

...and thought it would make an unusual and practical garden building. I
like the idea of not having to build it, nor any foundations -- and also
being able to move it around the garden when the mood takes.

If it's easily moved by Man isn't it easily moved by wind?

It isn't _easily_ moved by anyone. Needs a tractor -- or a horse.

Old 14-06-2008, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2008-06-13 20:15:28 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
said:

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
I saw one of these at GW Live yesterday...

http://www.cotswoldshepherdshuts.co.uk/index.html

...and thought it would make an unusual and practical garden building. I
like the idea of not having to build it, nor any foundations -- and also
being able to move it around the garden when the mood takes.

If it's easily moved by Man isn't it easily moved by wind?

It isn't _easily_ moved by anyone. Needs a tractor -- or a horse.

You have a tractor or horse in your garden?

:-)

Mary

Old 14-06-2008, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" said:
http://www.gilliesandmackay.com/

Based at Errol, in Perthshire, they built both my garden shed and
my summerhouse. I am thoroughly delighted with both.

I've been spending an hour or so in my little greenhouse recently,
"tending
the crops".

It's been so gentle that I've thought that when I don't grow anything any
more it would be a lovely summer house, conservatory, whatever.
Sheltered,
warm, enough room for a table and chairs ... I wonder if anyone else has
used a greenhouse like this?

Before I had my summerhouse built, I always had a table and a couple of
small folding chairs in the greenhouse. I loved to sit in there of a
summer
day, amid the smell of tomatoes growing...

Each morning, before I do anything else (well, apart from breakfast etc.) I
go to 'look at the plants'. I do this by sitting on a box while listening to
the solar/windup radio. I't hard work, one needs to be sitting down ...

The idea of sitting among the ripening tomatoes is even better, not that I'm
thinking of eating them off the plant, oh no ...

Mary

--
AnneJ

Old 14-06-2008, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 09:05:24 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote
(in article ):

"Mary Fisher" said:
[...]

Ah yes, what my husband calls "talking to my seeds". My first port of call
also :-)

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through the usenet newsgroup uk.rec.gardening

Old 14-06-2008, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Mary Fisher writes

I've been spending an hour or so in my little greenhouse recently, "tending
the crops".

It's been so gentle that I've thought that when I don't grow anything any
more it would be a lovely summer house, conservatory, whatever. Sheltered,
warm, enough room for a table and chairs ... I wonder if anyone else has
used a greenhouse like this?

Yes, I have two arm chairs in mine, and we take our coffee in there on
sunny winter days. I heat it to the bare minimum for cacti in the
winter, but that allows me to grow other things (fairly mundane things
like scented geraniums, daffodils, eccremocarpus, butterwort) which give
colour and scent through the winter. I've also got a solar powered
radio, which is ideal as it gets enough light to work continuously.
--
Kay
Old 14-06-2008, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip

Each morning, before I do anything else (well, apart from breakfast etc.)
go to 'look at the plants'. I do this by sitting on a box while listening
the solar/windup radio. I't hard work, one needs to be sitting down ...

Ah yes, what my husband calls "talking to my seeds". My first port of
call
also :-)

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through the usenet newsgroup uk.rec.gardening

I love my summerhouse, it started off very plain but my husband lined the
inside for me, my daughters painted the outside and I furnished it with all
the important things like comfy chairs radio book case and a box of biscuits
hidden in the corner - husband is diabetic and is not supposed to know they
are there. This morning my peace was disturbed by a family of swallows who
had great fun flying in thro the door and out of the window, I kept very
still and they took no notice of me at all, delightful :-)

kate

Old 14-06-2008, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2008-06-13 20:15:28 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
said:

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
I saw one of these at GW Live yesterday...

http://www.cotswoldshepherdshuts.co.uk/index.html

...and thought it would make an unusual and practical garden building. I
like the idea of not having to build it, nor any foundations -- and also
being able to move it around the garden when the mood takes.

If it's easily moved by Man isn't it easily moved by wind?

It isn't _easily_ moved by anyone. Needs a tractor -- or a horse.

You have a tractor or horse in your garden?

I wouldn't be interested otherwise...

Old 14-06-2008, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip
http://www.cotswoldshepherdshuts.co.uk/index.html

...and thought it would make an unusual and practical garden building.
like the idea of not having to build it, nor any foundations -- and
also
being able to move it around the garden when the mood takes.

It is still possible to find original shepherds huts tucked away in the
corners of fields in the Cotswold's but of course now the owners know people
want them they are hugely expensive.

kate

Old 14-06-2008, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
et...
snip

I love my summerhouse, it started off very plain but my husband lined the
inside for me, my daughters painted the outside and I furnished it with
all the important things like comfy chairs radio book case and a box of
biscuits hidden in the corner - husband is diabetic and is not supposed to
know they are there. This morning my peace was disturbed by a family of
swallows who had great fun flying in thro the door and out of the window,
I kept very still and they took no notice of me at all, delightful :-)

Indeed. There was a very nice timber framed and slate roofed summer house in
the garden when we moved in, in 1964. It's still there. We furnished it with
desk, casual and other seating, shelves, an electricity supply etc. The
children used it for homework, we entertained in it (played games and drank
wine with friends on an evening). It was delightful.

Then Spouse moved a bench in to build his model aeroplanes. Then put things
on the shelves. Then moved in some cupboards for storage and the seating was
limited. Then ...

.... well I'm sure I don't need to say more. It's crammed to the gun'ls with
his stuff and there's hardly room for him to stand, never mind sit. He even
made the door open outwards instead of inwards to give more usable space.

sigh

The years have wrought their worst and the timbers are beyond replacing,
he's talking about replacing it with a plastic shed.

I THINK NOT!

Mary

Summerhouses and Garden sheds david grossniklaus United Kingdom 6 23-02-2012 01:03 PM
Summerhouses and Garden sheds david grossniklaus United Kingdom 2 21-02-2012 09:43 AM
Summerhouses Saxman United Kingdom 6 21-01-2006 12:01 PM
new website - sheds, greenhouses, garages, summerhouses sanderp United Kingdom 0 13-06-2005 11:10 AM