Old 15-06-2008, 05:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garlic - again

In April I posted the following:

Growing for the first time in the garden. All sprouted OK but they
are now looking a bit sorry for themselves: leaves about 5 or 6 inches
long - but slightly brown/yellow. It has of course been quite cold
over the last two weeks - frosts or just above at night.
Is this their normal colour - rather than a nice green ;-)
Should I feed them?

Yesterday I dug them up as all foliage had disappeared some time ago.

The original cloves seem to have gone but there are a number of
spherical white "bulbs" - from half inch up to one inch in diameter.
They are not rotten at all.

Explanation or comments appreciated.

Old 15-06-2008, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 10:06:05 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 05:33:04 +0100, judith wrote:

In April I posted the following:

Growing for the first time in the garden. All sprouted OK but they
are now looking a bit sorry for themselves: leaves about 5 or 6 inches
long - but slightly brown/yellow. It has of course been quite cold
over the last two weeks - frosts or just above at night.
Is this their normal colour - rather than a nice green ;-)
Should I feed them?

Yesterday I dug them up as all foliage had disappeared some time ago.

The original cloves seem to have gone but there are a number of
spherical white "bulbs" - from half inch up to one inch in diameter.
They are not rotten at all.

Explanation or comments appreciated.

The spherical white bulbs divide into cloves?

No - I have just split one with a knife - just like a very small bulbs
- very moist with a strong garlic smell.
Old 15-06-2008, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"judith" wrote in message
[...]

Some kind of fly or fungal rot at a guess but never had any problems with
garlic so can't help much sorry.

--
Chris
Ignoti nulla cupido

Old 15-06-2008, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Are you sure it has not "gone to seed" like onions do.
The supporting stem has gone and just the "flower "head is left.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 15-06-2008, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete Stockdale" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

2nd thought !
Alternatively it could have propagated as my Scarborough lilies do.
Small bulblets form around the main bulb and in your case the main bulb has
rotted away.

Pete

Old 15-06-2008, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 11:26:09 +0100, "Pete Stockdale"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I missed it if it did - I only planted in March/April
Old 15-06-2008, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , judith
writes

In April I posted the following:

Growing for the first time in the garden. All sprouted OK but they
are now looking a bit sorry for themselves: leaves about 5 or 6 inches
long - but slightly brown/yellow. It has of course been quite cold
over the last two weeks - frosts or just above at night.
Is this their normal colour - rather than a nice green ;-)
Should I feed them?

Yesterday I dug them up as all foliage had disappeared some time ago.

The original cloves seem to have gone but there are a number of
spherical white "bulbs" - from half inch up to one inch in diameter.
They are not rotten at all.

Explanation or comments appreciated.

I have no explanation for this, but our first attempts at garlic on the
allotment produced very small bulbs, some of which were single balls.
They all did their job like any other garlic. The only thing I remember
about planting them was that we planted them too shallow.
--
Paul reply-to is valid
Old 15-06-2008, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 10:13:33 +0100, judith
wrote:

[...]

I have had this happen, with just one bulb, bigger than one clove,
forming. It was mentioned on GQT once that this can happen.
Either eat them or plant them again for next year.
As for the leaves dying down, that's what garlic does, and if you
don't dig it up now, you will not know where it is, and it will come
up again next year, maybe where you don't want it.
Dig up garlic at this stage.

Pam in Bristol
Old 15-06-2008, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I suspect that you are right - I wonder why?

Old 15-06-2008, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from judith contains these words:

/snip/

I suspect that you are right - I wonder why?

!

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 16-06-2008, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote:

I have had this happen, with just one bulb, bigger than one clove,
forming. It was mentioned on GQT once that this can happen.

What you've got is a "round," which will divide into a conventional
multi-cloved bulb next season. Probably too much competition/poor
nutrition for some reason.

Don't forget, garlic is the worst of several worlds: a poor converter of
solar energy, a lousy competitor, AND a heavy feeder!

Old 16-06-2008, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 14:42:43 +0100, jane
wrote:

snip

jane

Chiltern Hills, 140m above sea level.

That's excellent - many thanks to you and to all the other people who
responded. I will get some planted in autumn - and report back next
year!!

Old 16-06-2008, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"judith" wrote

In April I posted the following:

Growing for the first time in the garden. All sprouted OK but they
are now looking a bit sorry for themselves: leaves about 5 or 6 inches
long - but slightly brown/yellow. It has of course been quite cold
over the last two weeks - frosts or just above at night.
Is this their normal colour - rather than a nice green ;-)
Should I feed them?

Yesterday I dug them up as all foliage had disappeared some time ago.

The original cloves seem to have gone but there are a number of
spherical white "bulbs" - from half inch up to one inch in diameter.
They are not rotten at all.

Explanation or comments appreciated.

My understanding is that Garlic needs a cold spell to initiate the formation
of cloves, otherwise you get just one bigger bulb. No doubt you planted them
in the spring so no cold spell. Plant in Sept/Oct this year and you should
be OK.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 18-06-2008, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete Stockdale" wrote in message

Alternatively it could have propagated as my Scarborough lilies do.

Wot's a Scarborough lily???

Mary

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Garlic (again) Lee BARRASS United Kingdom 14 18-03-2004 01:21 PM
Garlic (again) Lee BARRASS United Kingdom 0 17-03-2004 04:42 AM
Garlic (again) Lee BARRASS United Kingdom 1 17-03-2004 04:41 AM