Old 19-06-2008, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Punica granatum (Pomegranate)

Anyone growing it in the UK outside? Or even like Citrus, outside all spring
summer autumn and under cover for the winter?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-06-2008, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:
| Anyone growing it in the UK outside? Or even like Citrus, outside all spring
| summer autumn and under cover for the winter?

Yes. In a pot. Last winter damaged it a fair amount, and I have had
to cut it back, but previously it came through with no trouble.

No flowers :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-06-2008, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" asked
| Anyone growing it in the UK outside? Or even like Citrus, outside all
spring
| summer autumn and under cover for the winter?

Yes. In a pot. Last winter damaged it a fair amount, and I have had
to cut it back, but previously it came through with no trouble.

No flowers :-(

Are you saying it's never flowered Nick or do you mean just this year?

Not long come back from Turkey and they are growing everywhere, probably not
wild but seemed like it, the flowers are so beautiful and it doesn't grow
big.

Seen them before but not seen them if that makes sense. Maybe I've not seen
one in full flower before.

I feel a purchase coming on. :-)
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-06-2008, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:

| Are you saying it's never flowered Nick or do you mean just this year?

Mine has never flowered.

| I feel a purchase coming on. :-)

I grew mine from a seed :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-06-2008, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:

Are you saying it's never flowered Nick or do you mean just this
year?

Mine has never flowered.

I feel a purchase coming on. :-)

I grew mine from a seed :-)

Which is probably why it's never flowered.

I believe that the double-flowered variety is more reliable, and appears
pretty hardy. There are (were?) a couple of fairly large plants in Lesnes
Abbey Wood in SE London, which flowered every year without wall protection.
Never fruited, though, as double-flowered (can't have everything!).

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 20-06-2008, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Jeff Layman" writes:

| Are you saying it's never flowered Nick or do you mean just this
| year?
|
| Mine has never flowered.
|
| I feel a purchase coming on. :-)
|
| I grew mine from a seed :-)
|
| Which is probably why it's never flowered.

Very likely. But it makes an attractive patio plant, anyway.

| I believe that the double-flowered variety is more reliable, and appears
| pretty hardy. There are (were?) a couple of fairly large plants in Lesnes
| Abbey Wood in SE London, which flowered every year without wall protection.
| Never fruited, though, as double-flowered (can't have everything!).

You wouldn't get fruit here, anyway - nothing like enough sun and heat.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-06-2008, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

Anyone growing it in the UK outside? Or even like Citrus, outside all
spring
summer autumn and under cover for the winter?

Tried both.

Both OK, but the outside ones lost their leaves.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 20-06-2008, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

I feel a purchase coming on.

It's dead simple to grow them from pips - and if you plant the lot from
one fruit, there's plenty of scope for mistakes...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 20-06-2008, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

I've got one that was grown from seed and seems to cope perfectly well
here. It flowered sparsely last year, but I don't think there was
enough sun during the summer to ripen wood sufficiently for flowers
this year. I rate it very highly as an ornamental, deciduous shrub/
small tree and there's no question as to its hardiness here. The
glossy leaves always look right and turn a warm amber yellow before
falling in early winter. Nick's comments hint at what it seems to
need: harsh, direct sun and heat for as long as possible. I'm not
bothered about any fruits, because the foliage and flowers are enough
to warrant its inclusion in my patch.
Old 20-06-2008, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Incidentally, if you forget to water it (or go on holiday, and a pot
dries out badly), it will drop its leaves, sulk for a bit and then
regrow new ones. Not unusual for a plant adapted to semi-arid areas.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-06-2008, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| I'd have to agree with that. It's such a beautiful shrub in flower that
| lack of fruit is simply unimportant. We don't have one here and I don't
| know if it would take our wet and soggy winters but might be worth a try.

In a pot of very well-drained (sandy/gravelly, as for Strelitzia)
compost, it certainly would be worth a go. It seems very happy in
a moderate sized pot.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Pomegranate punica Hortoris Edible Gardening 2 07-11-2008 03:29 AM
[IBC] Pomegranate Louis Brooks Bonsai 16 02-02-2005 01:18 AM
[IBC] Pomegranate training Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 3 03-03-2003 02:39 PM
Punica :Expert advice needed Theo Bonsai 0 24-02-2003 08:00 PM
Pomegranate seeds Frogleg Edible Gardening 4 23-01-2003 04:54 PM