Old 01-07-2008, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bosch Quiet Shredders OK for Mixed Waste?

I am looking for a garden shredder and answers to an earlier post were
pointing me in the direction of the Bosch quiet shredders. I am looking
at the AXT2000 HP, which has the spiral cutting system, rather than the
much more powerful AXT2200 HP, which is probably a bit over the top for
my needs.

I have used the cheap noisy type of shredder in the past and am not keen
to repeat the experience, but before I commit to one of these quiet
shredders, I would welcome advice on whether they are really suitable
for the waste from my medium sized garden.

I have a few trees and it is clear that these shredders have no problem
with prunings from those. I understand that soft herbaceous stuff does
not need shredding, but I tend to have a lot of shrub prunings and
tougher herbaceous stuff to dispose of.

The shrubs include stuff like Buddleja, Lavatera, Forsythia, Dogwood,
Elder etc.

The tougher herbaceous stuff that takes a long time to rot down includes
Leucanthemum (Ox-eye Daisy)and Lupin stems.

Has anybody any experience of using these shredders with this type of waste?

TIA

Steve
Old 01-07-2008, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
[...]

Everything goes through ours but we tend to wait until we have woody
stuff before attempting anything soft then feed alternate sorts of waste
using a nice woody stick if it starts to clog. waiting until
autumn/winter and of course everythings goes through no problem, its just
actual weeds we dont put through.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 02-07-2008, 08:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
says...
[...]

I had one and found it fine. The only problem was that I have a lot of
hedging, the trimmings need shredding. Doing it with the Bosch took
forever. I now have a petrol shredder, its throughput is great, just
throw the cuttings into its maw and away it goes.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
takethisout writes:

| The shrubs include stuff like Buddleja, Lavatera, Forsythia, Dogwood,
| Elder etc.
|
| The tougher herbaceous stuff that takes a long time to rot down includes
| Leucanthemum (Ox-eye Daisy)and Lupin stems.
|
| Has anybody any experience of using these shredders with this type of waste?

Yes. No problem with the 2200. A lot of leaves or other juicy material
can cause trouble, though. I use a (shreddable) stick as a poker and
unsticker - if it gets caught, I let it go and use another.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

takethisout wrote:

[...]

I started the previous thread - following the advice given, I went out
and bought the Bosch 2000 HP Quiet Shredder. Homebase currently have
them at £199. Be careful, there are very similar, cheaper blade-type
Bosch shredders, with similar model numbers - easy to pick up the wrong
one if you don't pay attention.

Very impressed, quieter than I was expecting. As long as you don't try
to feed too much green material in at the same time, it handles it fine.
Supplied with a carefully designed metal hook which you can safely
waggle around inside and shove stuff about as the hook is just too short
to reach the blades :-)

Last weekend it happily chomped up a load of prunings from a Horse
Chestnut - branches to 25 mm, thinner twigs and attached juicy green
leaves. Munched through buddleia, some leylandii, etc

It also nicely deals with corrugated cardboard - the box it came in is
now shredded into the compost heap rather than my having to take it down
to the local tip!
--
Larry Stoter

Old 10-07-2008, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Larry Stoter writes
It also nicely deals with corrugated cardboard - the box it came in is
now shredded into the compost heap rather than my having to take it
down to the local tip!

But corrugated cardboard rots down beautifully even if you don't shred
it ;-)
--
Kay
Old 10-07-2008, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:

Larry Stoter writes
It also nicely deals with corrugated cardboard - the box it came in is
now shredded into the compost heap rather than my having to take it
down to the local tip!

But corrugated cardboard rots down beautifully even if you don't shred
it ;-)

A lot easier to deal with if shredded and I'm sure it composts faster if
shredded!

The best thing with a shredder is the reduction in volume - large
cardboard boxes, heaps of prunings, etc disappear into a small heap when
shredded!
--
Larry Stoter
Old 11-07-2008, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 10, 5:37 pm, K wrote:
Larry Stoter writes

It also nicely deals with corrugated cardboard - the box it came in is
now shredded into the compost heap rather than my having to take it
down to the local tip!

But corrugated cardboard rots down beautifully even if you don't shred
it ;-)
--
Kay

Kay, do you have any recent pics of your garden, the back one I mean,
I would love to see how it has evolved.

Judith
Old 11-07-2008, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Larry Stoter
writes

The best thing with a shredder is the reduction in volume - large
cardboard boxes, heaps of prunings, etc disappear into a small heap when
shredded!

That is the basic ingredient of my compost.
It's time-consuming though, and I'm afraid I mostly put prunings into my
brown bin and let the council do the composting. They sell it to
recoup the cost of collection.
--
Gordon H
Old 13-07-2008, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Gordon H
wrote
In message , Larry Stoter
writes

The best thing with a shredder is the reduction in volume - large
cardboard boxes, heaps of prunings, etc disappear into a small heap when
shredded!

That is the basic ingredient of my compost.

With large cardboard boxes I fold them flat and let them 'weather' in
the garden for a few months. After this period, and after some rain.,
it's easy to remove any plastic packing tape and/or staples. I then run
my petrol rotary lawn mower over them to shed into small pieces for the
compost heap.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Old 13-07-2008, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Alan
writes
In message , Gordon H
wrote
In message , Larry Stoter
writes

The best thing with a shredder is the reduction in volume - large
cardboard boxes, heaps of prunings, etc disappear into a small heap when
shredded!

That is the basic ingredient of my compost.

With large cardboard boxes I fold them flat and let them 'weather' in
the garden for a few months. After this period, and after some rain.,
it's easy to remove any plastic packing tape and/or staples. I then run
my petrol rotary lawn mower over them to shed into small pieces for the
compost heap.

I was referring to the prunings, and I take cardboard to the recycling
centre at the local tip, but maybe I should retain the unpainted
cardboard for composting at home...
--
Gordon H
Old 16-07-2008, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Larry Stoter wrote:
[cut]
: I started the previous thread - following the advice given, I went out
: and bought the Bosch 2000 HP Quiet Shredder. Homebase currently have
: them at ?199. Be careful, there are very similar, cheaper blade-type
: Bosch shredders, with similar model numbers - easy to pick up the wrong
: one if you don't pay attention.

: Very impressed, quieter than I was expecting. As long as you don't try
: to feed too much green material in at the same time, it handles it fine.
: Supplied with a carefully designed metal hook which you can safely
: waggle around inside and shove stuff about as the hook is just too short
: to reach the blades :-)

: Last weekend it happily chomped up a load of prunings from a Horse
: Chestnut - branches to 25 mm, thinner twigs and attached juicy green
: leaves. Munched through buddleia, some leylandii, etc

How well does this Bosch or the 2200 model deal with thin twiggy
stuff? For some time I have been using an Atika propeller blade type
shredder which deals with this kind of stuff very well but it has
failed and the replacement switch mechanism is expensive. I have
acquired a new 'quiet' machine manufactured by the Belgium firm Varo.
It has a screw type cutting mechanism and handles thick branches very
well but thin twiggy stuff goes through more of less unscathed.
Looking inside the machine there is a gap between the screw type blade
mechanism and the wall of its enclosure which the thin twiggy stuff
just passes straight through.

Cheers
Tom.

Ps. The email address in the header is just a spam-trap.
--
Tom Crane, Dept. Physics, Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham Hill,
Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.