Old 20-07-2008, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT web site question

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "gavin" contains these
words:
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from Charlie Pridham contains these
words:

If you have a lot of pictures in a folder on a web site is it possible
using something antiquated like frontpage 2000 to run them as a slide
show?

Possible, probably, but horrendously huge files.

Not necessarily so. THere is software (probably even freeware) that will
convert jpegs to Flash format without "horrendously huge" file sizes,
although that depends on definitions of those terms :-) The
resulting move
can then be embedded.

I was talking about Frontpage, not the pics.

I wouldn't touch Frontpage with yours....

Me neither - nowt wrong with Notepad :-)

Quite - but I'd hesitate to suggest it as few people can do it in Notepad
etc.

It's just a question of doing some learning - a bit like ... errr..
gardening :-)

Old 20-07-2008, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from Charlie Pridham contains these words:

It was just a thought, I thought maybe I had missed something obvious!

If you want a copy of a perfectly adequate (but elderly) HTML 4 tutor
and (probably) editor, CD, let me know and I'll send you one. (Got it
with an old HTML tutorial book - haven't looked at the CD though.)

Most of my website (needs tidying-up!) was written in HTML 3.2, and some
of it, an even simpler version. The only pages which are properly
compliant are written in HTML 4.1 transitional

Very useful online validator at http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/ -
see the results at
http://www.htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/vali...yes&spider=yes

Old 20-07-2008, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "gavin" contains these words:
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from Charlie Pridham contains these words:

It was just a thought, I thought maybe I had missed something obvious!

If you want a copy of a perfectly adequate (but elderly) HTML 4 tutor
and (probably) editor, CD, let me know and I'll send you one. (Got it
with an old HTML tutorial book - haven't looked at the CD though.)

Most of my website (needs tidying-up!) was written in HTML 3.2, and some
of it, an even simpler version. The only pages which are properly
compliant are written in HTML 4.1 transitional

Very useful online validator at http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/ -
see the results at
http://www.htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/vali...yes&spider=yes

Oh, I've got a pogrom with an inbuilt invalidator!

(Maybe) the best validator can be found at www.w3c.com

They always turn their nose up at one feature of one of my pages - w3c
does not support 'blink'...

But as most visual browsers do, I use it in one (silly) instance.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

(Maybe) the best validator can be found at www.w3c.com

There's a FierFox add-on that also attempts to validate but I find the WDG
the best one as it will validate an "entire" site (well, up to 100 pages I
believe) in one go.

They always turn their nose up at one feature of one of my pages - w3c
does not support 'blink'...

Unfortunately that's not the only error! :-)

Old 21-07-2008, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "gavin" contains these words:

They always turn their nose up at one feature of one of my pages - w3c
does not support 'blink'...

Unfortunately that's not the only error! :-)

I know - some of the pages are ten years old, and constructed mainly on
hearsay...

Or do I mean heresy?

Then I found Arachnophilia and things improved a bit.

I generally use Notepad now, and verify with HTMLgate. This has
drawbacks - tell it to convert a page to lower-case tags, and it
converts the opening HTML ID, wot it then complains about...

When I get round to it, all pages will be rewritten and for that time I
shall be looking for a better validator - comments in this thread have
been noted. Ta.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 21-07-2008, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Good for you (that was not meant to sound at all patronising!).

Old 22-07-2008, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "gavin" contains these words:

When I get round to it, all pages will be rewritten and for that time I
shall be looking for a better validator - comments in this thread have
been noted. Ta.

Good for you (that was not meant to sound at all patronising!).

Not taken so - I've got several pages done - completely revamped, down
to alt="????" content="????" etc. which prompts a saucy question:

Why do farts smell?

\/

\/

\/

For the benefit of the deaf...

I'll get my coat.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 22-07-2008, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "gavin" contains these
words:

When I get round to it, all pages will be rewritten and for that time I
shall be looking for a better validator - comments in this thread have
been noted. Ta.

Good for you (that was not meant to sound at all patronising!).

Not taken so - I've got several pages done - completely revamped, down
to alt="????" content="????" etc. which prompts a saucy question:

Why do farts smell?

For the benefit of the deaf...

snip

I'll get my coat.

Doh!

Old 23-07-2008, 12:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
from Charlie Pridham wrote:

Most of my website (needs tidying-up!) was written in HTML 3.2, and some
of it, an even simpler version. The only pages which are properly
compliant are written in HTML 4.1 transitional - however, FWIW, have a
peek at

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

and (just for fun!)

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/ad/

This is the first time I've had a look at your webpage in years, Tone,
and I wish I had looked sooner. Just a few months ago I got rid of
my Peugeot 406, which had a perfectly-serviceable LPG system
installed. I could've driven it down to you; it had several months
of tax left on it, but unfortunately no MoT - but I wouldn't have let
that stop me - and I could have brought your Fuggles with me!
(Yes, I've still got one, that I kept for you...) It's currently reposing
behind the greenhouse, in a huge bag of my best compost, and
trying its best to gain admittance - between the panes!

--
AnneJ
Old 23-07-2008, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Anne Welsh Jackson contains these words:

This is the first time I've had a look at your webpage in years, Tone,
and I wish I had looked sooner. Just a few months ago I got rid of
my Peugeot 406, which had a perfectly-serviceable LPG system
installed. I could've driven it down to you; it had several months
of tax left on it, but unfortunately no MoT - but I wouldn't have let
that stop me - and I could have brought your Fuggles with me!
(Yes, I've still got one, that I kept for you...) It's currently reposing
behind the greenhouse, in a huge bag of my best compost, and
trying its best to gain admittance - between the panes!

Cooo!

Mine's a diseasel, but one with four (sound) doors would have been
rather nice.

Nemmind.

Ta for the thought.

Just (this evening) burnt the small stuff from the entire front hedge,
which was razed by the Garden Gnomes on Saturday. Next Saturday I shall
have to do penance with extra cake or something, 'cos I said I'd keep it
for a week so they could be in conflagrante delicto...

However, a favourable wind occurred and I took advantage of it. maybe I
could make amends by providing a heap of Leylandii trimmings.

I may soon-ish have a botormicycle combination on the road, and one of
my aims would be a visit to various Zetnuts and old stamping-grounds -
one of which was Blackford, so a baggy fuggles might be uplifted with
many thanks. Is it a female, BTW? I have some hop seedlings, but I've no
idea what gender they are.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 24-07-2008, 02:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
Anne Welsh Jackson contains these words:

Just (this evening) burnt the small stuff from the entire front hedge,
which was razed by the Garden Gnomes on Saturday. Next Saturday I shall
have to do penance with extra cake or something, 'cos I said I'd keep it
for a week so they could be in conflagrante delicto...

However, a favourable wind occurred and I took advantage of it. maybe I
could make amends by providing a heap of Leylandii trimmings.

I may soon-ish have a botormicycle combination on the road, and one of
my aims would be a visit to various Zetnuts and old stamping-grounds -
one of which was Blackford, so a baggy fuggles might be uplifted with
many thanks. Is it a female, BTW? I have some hop seedlings, but I've no
idea what gender they are.

We had a Panther with sidecar - ooooohhh, forty-three years ago.
When Lisa moved to London, I stayed a few times with a really
nice friend of hers, who was the same of the main Panther dealer...
small world? He had a mo'bike combination, but it was a Kawasaki!

Anyhoo, if you're heading up this way, you could (metaphorically)
kill two birds with one stone, and visit Derek at the same time! He's
up fornent Gleneagles...

Re the hop, I think they were all females, but I'm too busy chopping
lumps off 'your' one for it ever to reach fruition. Don't mind it getting
into the greenhouse, if it really wants to, but not by prising the panes
apart, TYVM! Regards to the Gnomes - I'm sure heaps of Leylandii
would burn just wonderfully - best thing to do with the bugger, IYAM! ;-)

--
AnneJ
Old 25-07-2008, 12:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Anne Welsh Jackson contains these words:

We had a Panther with sidecar - ooooohhh, forty-three years ago.
When Lisa moved to London, I stayed a few times with a really
nice friend of hers, who was the same of the main Panther dealer...
small world? He had a mo'bike combination, but it was a Kawasaki!

The one I'm putting together ATM is a Honda RS250 - there are some
nicely grafted non-RS250 bits on it, which caused some head-scratching
on URMC. The slidecar hasn't got a wheel yet...

For the long term I have a BMW R80 and a Berger chair, but that requires
a lot of work, including either a recon gearbox, or a gearbox stripdown
and rebuild.

Anyhoo, if you're heading up this way, you could (metaphorically)
kill two birds with one stone, and visit Derek at the same time! He's
up fornent Gleneagles...

I know. We've chatted about various local things - he was quite
surprised that I had attended the Auchterarder Highland Games a couple
of times.

Re the hop, I think they were all females, but I'm too busy chopping
lumps off 'your' one for it ever to reach fruition. Don't mind it getting
into the greenhouse, if it really wants to, but not by prising the panes
apart, TYVM! Regards to the Gnomes - I'm sure heaps of Leylandii
would burn just wonderfully - best thing to do with the bugger, IYAM! ;-)

Hmmm. I think the female hop will require a male to hold its hand, or
the cones won't have the same flavour, BICBW.

Anyway, don't hold yer breath - I have to fettle the slidecar frame,
source a pair of (imperial) bearings for the hub, source a wheel. ONLY
Frod 100E had wheels that fit the hub - oh, some caravan wheels fit 4"
diagonally across studs too, but the tyres are a bit bulgy innit. And
the slidecarriage is in need of a good rubbing-down and repainting.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Best site for freelancer work (PHP, Web site, java, oracle sql, php,data entry) arti United Kingdom 0 04-07-2009 03:53 PM
Web site question harry wong Orchids 2 30-12-2003 05:32 PM
[IBC] Vendor links by state on NBF site [Was: [IBC] Web Site Changes] Chris Cochrane Bonsai 0 04-08-2003 03:22 PM
Web hosting for your gardening web site. $1.95 per month Hostronica Web Hosting Gardening 0 01-05-2003 06:56 AM
Web site question! XdjipsterX Bonsai 0 03-03-2003 04:51 PM