Old 08-08-2008, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Compost heap.

I want to build a wooden compost container. Any idea what, if anything,
I should treat the wood with before I start filling it up. Don't wanna
put any nasty chemicals in there.

Brian.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 08/08/08 18:37, Brian Robertson wrote:
I want to build a wooden compost container. Any idea what, if anything,
I should treat the wood with before I start filling it up. Don't wanna
put any nasty chemicals in there.

Brian.

Why u wanna treat the wood? Me, I just assume the wood is going to
compost along with the contents and will need replacing in 5 yrs or so.

Ed

Old 08-08-2008, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ed wrote:
On 08/08/08 18:37, Brian Robertson wrote:
I want to build a wooden compost container. Any idea what, if
anything, I should treat the wood with before I start filling it up.
Don't wanna put any nasty chemicals in there.

Brian.

Why u wanna treat the wood? Me, I just assume the wood is going to
compost along with the contents and will need replacing in 5 yrs or so.

Ed

Yep! I guess you are right. lol The design that I have in mind means
that each layer can be replaced as and when needed. Thanks for that.

Brian.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Brian Robertson wrote:

I want to build a wooden compost container. Any idea what, if anything,
I should treat the wood with before I start filling it up. Don't wanna
put any nasty chemicals in there.

Brian.

Go to your local builders merchants and get a load of used palletts.
They cost nothing and make ideal compost containers with built in gaps
for air.
Peter

--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I
could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far
Old 09-08-2008, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Peter James wrote:
Brian Robertson wrote:

I want to build a wooden compost container. Any idea what, if anything,
I should treat the wood with before I start filling it up. Don't wanna
put any nasty chemicals in there.

Brian.

Go to your local builders merchants and get a load of used palletts.
They cost nothing and make ideal compost containers with built in gaps
for air.
Peter

Actually I have found the best source of used pallets are building
sites. They simply burn them whereas builders merchants tent to reuse
theirs to deliver to customers. Also on building sites there is often
other "scrap" timber that you may find useful.