Old 21-08-2008, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default foxes

I have a problem in a client's garden.

Small town garden, shed in rear corner, fence behind, another fence 30cm
away, shed beyond.

Foxes appear to have den below one or other of sheds accesses via the
inaccessible (sic) area between the fences/sheds.

Garden is now foxes playground and unusable by the two kids.

sonic devices have so far failed to deter them

1. Any advice on getting rid?

2. Any suggestions for suitable sterilizing spray/wash for the climbing
frame, trampoline etc that the foxes have crapped on?

PK

Old 21-08-2008, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"PK" wrote in message
I have a problem in a client's garden.

Small town garden, shed in rear corner, fence behind, another fence 30cm
away, shed beyond.

Foxes appear to have den below one or other of sheds accesses via the
inaccessible (sic) area between the fences/sheds.

Garden is now foxes playground and unusable by the two kids.

sonic devices have so far failed to deter them

1. Any advice on getting rid?

2. Any suggestions for suitable sterilizing spray/wash for the climbing
frame, trampoline etc that the foxes have crapped on?

PK

yes, I think you can buy it from Scats.

Comes in a small container sometimes marked Eley or Gamebore..........get
the 0000 strength, one dose per animal is all that is required. But you
might have to buy 25 doses minimum.

Old 21-08-2008, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

PK wrote:
"tpow" wrote in message

yes, I think you can buy it from Scats.

Comes in a small container sometimes marked Eley or
Gamebore..........get the 0000 strength, one dose per animal is all
that is required. But you might have to buy 25 doses minimum.

LOL!

pk

Bring back the hounds I say!
Old 21-08-2008, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , PK
wrote

1. Any advice on getting rid?

Get them pet fox of their own.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Old 21-08-2008, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , PK
writes
I have a problem in a client's garden.

Small town garden, shed in rear corner, fence behind, another fence
30cm away, shed beyond.

Foxes appear to have den below one or other of sheds accesses via the
inaccessible (sic) area between the fences/sheds.

Garden is now foxes playground and unusable by the two kids.

sonic devices have so far failed to deter them

1. Any advice on getting rid?

If it is possible given the constraints, the most humane method is to
block off the access to entrances and exits (the gaps between fence and
sheds?) they are using to the den ensuring that they elsewhere at the
time. A suggestion is to loosely block the holes with rags. If the
rags haven't moved for two or three days, you can safely assume that
nothing is going in and out and nothing is coming out. It is then safe
to fill the holes.

2. Any suggestions for suitable sterilizing spray/wash for the climbing
frame, trampoline etc that the foxes have crapped on?

Any bathroom cleaner/disinfectants

--
Robert
Old 21-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Registered User

Wink

Hi, I am a bit of a fan of the fox, I envy them, if I could be just
half as good a hunter I'd be as fat as lard !!

Having said that, I can see your problem, and if you are in a residential
area a shotgun will get you in deep doodoo.
Jeyes fluid might be effective, and will kill any germs.
I have been told that they hate the smell of human urine, but I
don't suppose your clients will like it much either.
I will watch with interest to see how you solve this one,
Good luck.
Old 21-08-2008, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"tpow" wrote in message

"PK" wrote in message
I have a problem in a client's garden.

Small town garden, shed in rear corner, fence behind, another fence 30cm
away, shed beyond.

Foxes appear to have den below one or other of sheds accesses via the
inaccessible (sic) area between the fences/sheds.

Garden is now foxes playground and unusable by the two kids.

sonic devices have so far failed to deter them

1. Any advice on getting rid?

2. Any suggestions for suitable sterilizing spray/wash for the climbing
frame, trampoline etc that the foxes have crapped on?

PK

yes, I think you can buy it from Scats.

Comes in a small container sometimes marked Eley or Gamebore..........get
the 0000 strength, one dose per animal is all that is required. But you
might have to buy 25 doses minimum.

Wouldnt one require a dispenser as well? these can be quite expensive.
You could fill all gaps surrounding sheds with chicken wire, this will
persuade the foxes to go elsewhere.
If foxes had brick built homes we had holes in the ground, what would they
use to get rid of us?

regards
Cineman

Old 22-08-2008, 12:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim Perry" wrote in message
I will watch with interest to see how you solve this one,
Good luck

I came across this today......

http://www.foxolutions.co.uk/foxproblems.htm

pk

Old 22-08-2008, 12:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"tpow" wrote in message

"PK" wrote in message
I have a problem in a client's garden.

Small town garden, shed in rear corner, fence behind, another fence 30cm
away, shed beyond.

Foxes appear to have den below one or other of sheds accesses via the
inaccessible (sic) area between the fences/sheds.

Garden is now foxes playground and unusable by the two kids.

sonic devices have so far failed to deter them

1. Any advice on getting rid?

A piece of lead in the ear. That's because I keep chickens and lost
patience with going down the kind route for years.
If you are not able to do this yourself, get a pest controller in, one who
advertises that he does farms, not the softies who do ants, wasps and
mice/rats.

Old 22-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Registered User

Talking

I came across this today......

http://www.foxolutions.co.uk/foxproblems.htm

pk[/quote]

Hi PK,
Took a peek at that website, what method will you try.

I know many will disagree, but my feeling is this,
Any damn fool can destroy, but very few could create.

If you keep animals, be they dogs, chickens, hippos, whatever,
the onus is upon you to keep them SECURELY CONTAINED.
I kept sheep for 25 years, never lost one to a fox, plenty to stray
dogs. Similarly, I am not amused if next doors chickens scratch
hell out of my fresh seedbeds.

The onus is not upon the fox to ignore free and so easily got
grub.

You just have to make those sheds seem much less enticing, and
scent is a good option. Diesel, Creosote, Jeyes Fluid, could work
and is far safer than some clown blasting away with a shotgun.
What if that shot passes through the hedge and into someones
kiddy. Besides, I think you will find it is against the law to use one
in that environment, and for very good reason.
Old 22-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Registered User

Unhappy

Yes, I have seen that in a pet shop it was called "**** Off"......[/quote]

Thanks for that intelligent response.
Old 22-08-2008, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Olly699" wrote in message

'PK[_3_ Wrote:
;811499']

1. Any advice on getting rid?

You have not indicated how old or new the house is.

Victorian SW london - Prime urban fox territory!

pk

Old 22-08-2008, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim Perry" wrote in message

I came across this today......

http://tinyurl.com/58tboy

pk

Hi PK,
Took a peek at that website, what method will you try.

I know many will disagree, but my feeling is this,
Any damn fool can destroy, but very few could create.

If you keep animals, be they dogs, chickens, hippos, whatever,
the onus is upon you to keep them SECURELY CONTAINED.
I kept sheep for 25 years, never lost one to a fox, plenty to stray
dogs. Similarly, I am not amused if next doors chickens scratch
hell out of my fresh seedbeds.

The onus is not upon the fox to ignore free and so easily got
grub.

So we close up our chickens in the evening.

And the fox comes in during the day, even when we're within feet of it, it
having clambered up and over a six foot wire fence.

And the fox kills the chickens - not for grub because they're only killed,
not eaten.

So your next answer?

You just have to make those sheds seem much less enticing, and
scent is a good option. Diesel, Creosote, Jeyes Fluid, could work

Could?

They don't work for long.

Tim, you're wrong.

So do you have another answer?

We've spent a huge amount of time, energy and money building a fox-proof
fence but even that wouldn't be possible in some situations.

Fox are vermin, especially in cities, and should be destroyed. A gun,
properly used, is the only effective answer - but it's not permanent because
others will fill the void.

Mary