Old 03-09-2008, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Toms??

How have other folks' tomatoes been doing? I have yellow cherry type ones
in the conservatory which have done very well. But in the Greenhouse are
big red beefsteak ones which have grown big but none yet red. Am I being
impatient or should they have gone red by now?

cheers

Jon

Old 03-09-2008, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 17:41:30 +0100, Spooooool wrote:

How have other folks' tomatoes been doing? I have yellow cherry type
ones in the conservatory which have done very well. But in the
Greenhouse are big red beefsteak ones which have grown big but none yet
red. Am I being impatient or should they have gone red by now?

My outdoor plum tomatoes are ripening nicely, but then I do live in
Jersey! A few banana skins draped here and there will hurry things along.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 18:15:30 +0100, Sacha wrote:

My outdoor plum tomatoes are ripening nicely, but then I do live in
Jersey! A few banana skins draped here and there will hurry things
along.

!! I'm from Jersey and we grow Jersey Sunrise for our own use - the
original Jersey tom. I used to live on La Grande Route de Faldouet in
St Martin. Which bit of the rock are you on?!

Saint Aubin's High Street (the cobbled bit). House comes with SWMBO's new
(ish) job. I've been here nearly a year now. Allotment sorted for this
autumn with luck and a fair wind. Send me some JS seeds?
Old 03-09-2008, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 3, 5:41*pm, "Spooooool" wrote:
How have other folks' tomatoes been doing? * I have yellow cherry type ones
in the conservatory which have done very well. *But in the Greenhouse are
big red beefsteak ones which have grown big but none yet red. *Am I being
impatient or should they have gone red by now?

cheers

Jon

My beefsteak ones are only just ripening now in a greenhouse. We have
had 5 ripe so far (3 eaten; 2 in kitchen) with another 3 or so on the
way. The rest look like they will ripen in a week or so if it stays
warm.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spooooool" wrote in message
How have other folks' tomatoes been doing? I have yellow cherry type
ones in the conservatory which have done very well. But in the Greenhouse
are big red beefsteak ones which have grown big but none yet red. Am I
being impatient or should they have gone red by now?

cheers

Jon

I sowed about seven varieties in the greenhouse, all flourished -
eventually - and have set fruit - eventually. Some even ripened -
eventually.

We've had quite a few meals from them but there will be very many more.

Eventually.

We're in Leeds so don't expect early crops but this year everything except
slugs has been later than usual, haven't even had a glut of runners. Yet.

Mary

Old 03-09-2008, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On 3 Sep 2008 16:47:21 GMT, Derek Turner wrote:
On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 17:41:30 +0100, Spooooool wrote:

How have other folks' tomatoes been doing? I have yellow cherry type
ones in the conservatory which have done very well. But in the
Greenhouse are big red beefsteak ones which have grown big but none yet
red. Am I being impatient or should they have gone red by now?

My outdoor plum tomatoes are ripening nicely, but then I do live in
Jersey! A few banana skins draped here and there will hurry things along.

Especially if you slip on one.

Our plum tomatoes are ripe and red and taste of nothing.

Next year grow San Marzano, then.

Sort-of plum tomato with a pointy end, and loads of flavour.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 03-09-2008, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spooooool" wrote in message
How have other folks' tomatoes been doing? I have yellow cherry type
ones in the conservatory which have done very well. But in the Greenhouse
are big red beefsteak ones which have grown big but none yet red. Am I
being impatient or should they have gone red by now?

cheers

Jon

I was going to post a message to ask if anyone had any suggestions as to how
I could get my outdoor tomatoes to ripen faster, but it seems from your post
and the replies, that mine are doing as well as can be expected. In
particular: I planted four different plants (four different varieties) all
bought from the garden centre as seedlings. The Beefsteak variety is
cropping well and has produced five or six ripe tomatoes so far. Pixie F1 is
working overtime, and has produced about 15 excellent small tomatoes, with
several orange ones to ripen in the next few days. Shirley is loaded down
with green tomatoes, but none have ripened so far (apart from one truss
which I broke off by accident three weeks ago, and is now ripening indoors).
Similarly with F1 Golden Sweet which is loaded down with large green
tomatoes.

The Pixie and Beefsteak plants are at the south end of my garden, with the
others shaded by them (although pixie is too small to do much shading).

I am optimistic that some of the fruit will ripen before the end of
September, or at worst indoors later (based on the earlier experience).

John

Old 03-09-2008, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Derek Turner wrote:
On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 17:41:30 +0100, Spooooool wrote:

How have other folks' tomatoes been doing? I have yellow cherry
type ones in the conservatory which have done very well. But in the
Greenhouse are big red beefsteak ones which have grown big but none
yet red. Am I being impatient or should they have gone red by now?

My outdoor plum tomatoes are ripening nicely, but then I do live in
Jersey! A few banana skins draped here and there will hurry things
along.

I've tried that. Seems to work
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 03-09-2008, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have Beefy, cherry and ordinary, 2 of each. (sorry, lost the names) All
plants heavily fruited, cherrys started to ripen last week......picking a
couple a day to have with lunch sanny. Beefs are now ripening with the help
of 'nana skins draped on them. Ords and a bit behind.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 03-09-2008, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "John E" contains these words:

I was going to post a message to ask if anyone had any suggestions as
to how
I could get my outdoor tomatoes to ripen faster, but it seems from
your post
and the replies, that mine are doing as well as can be expected. In
particular: I planted four different plants (four different varieties) all
bought from the garden centre as seedlings. The Beefsteak variety is
cropping well and has produced five or six ripe tomatoes so far. Pixie
F1 is
working overtime, and has produced about 15 excellent small tomatoes, with
several orange ones to ripen in the next few days.

Pixie, IME, is around as flavourless as Moneymaker. I grew them once,
around 1970 - and complained to T&M that they described them as 'full of
flavour' (OWTTE).

Shirley is loaded down
with green tomatoes, but none have ripened so far (apart from one truss
which I broke off by accident three weeks ago, and is now ripening indoors).

My Shirley went in very late, and I'm enjoying them at present.

Similarly with F1 Golden Sweet which is loaded down with large green
tomatoes.

The Pixie and Beefsteak plants are at the south end of my garden, with the
others shaded by them (although pixie is too small to do much shading).

Pixie was also billed as 'needing no support'. Every plant collapsed
under the weight of tomatoes.

I am optimistic that some of the fruit will ripen before the end of
September, or at worst indoors later (based on the earlier experience).

Move to Sunny East Anglia and get your (outdoor) tomatoes so much earlier!

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 04-09-2008, 01:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hmm... is Berkshire the only zone to suffer blight again? I have just
pulled up all my outdoor tomato plants - which had been flourishing
until a fortnight ago. And everyone I know hereabouts who is gowing
outdoor toms of any variety has had to do the same thing.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

AriesVal wrote:
On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 22:18:31 +0100, Pete C wrote:

I have Beefy, cherry and ordinary, 2 of each. (sorry, lost the
names) All plants heavily fruited, cherrys started to ripen last
week......picking a couple a day to have with lunch sanny. Beefs are
now ripening with the help of 'nana skins draped on them. Ords and a
bit behind.

Are they under glass Pete, or outdoors ?

Outdoors Val. Against an East facing wall.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 04-09-2008, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 17:41:30 +0100, "Spooooool"
wrote:

How have other folks' tomatoes been doing? I have yellow cherry type ones
in the conservatory which have done very well. But in the Greenhouse are
big red beefsteak ones which have grown big but none yet red. Am I being
impatient or should they have gone red by now?

You're lucky. Mine have all gone brown from blight and all plants
have been scrapped. This is the 8th year running that my toms have
had blight. Everyone on our allotment site is affected.

Pam in Bristol

toms p.mc United Kingdom 4 11-08-2004 04:41 AM
Toms indoors? mike. buckley United Kingdom 12 22-07-2004 01:06 AM
Tumbler Toms The Grate Denini United Kingdom 8 27-05-2004 05:45 PM
A helping hand for stunted toms Julie United Kingdom 1 27-05-2004 07:03 AM
Toms & Straws in baskets Graham Dixon United Kingdom 14 27-10-2003 11:22 AM