Old 09-09-2008, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Planning permission for gardens?

While waiting for my wife to shop I browsed the headlines of various
daily papers this morning. One of them,I never noticed which, claimed
the dear old government are planning to bring in rules about what we can
do with our gardens. It seems that this is an attempt to reduce waste
production, mainly grass clippings! What a racket this recycling
business is becoming. We spent energy to clean bottles, glasses etc for
recycling then is is all dumped together and shipped to India it seems,
where it is mainly dumped in landfill!
Old 09-09-2008, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.wasteonline.org.uk/resour...eets/Glass.htm

Old 09-09-2008, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 13:13:54 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

While waiting for my wife to shop I browsed the headlines of various
daily papers this morning. One of them,I never noticed which, claimed
the dear old government are planning to bring in rules about what we can
do with our gardens. It seems that this is an attempt to reduce waste
production, mainly grass clippings! What a racket this recycling
business is becoming. We spent energy to clean bottles, glasses etc for
recycling then is is all dumped together and shipped to India it seems,
where it is mainly dumped in landfill!

Well I never believe anything I read in a paper, but this certainly
fits in with the government's aim to classify gardens as 'brownfield
sites' for building blocks of flats.
Perhaps they think that if we can't cultivate our gardens as we wish,
we might be more inclined to sell them off for building.
I am really getting to HATE this government and all it stands for.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Broadback
writes
While waiting for my wife to shop I browsed the headlines of various
daily papers this morning. One of them,I never noticed which, claimed
the dear old government are planning to bring in rules about what we
can do with our gardens. It seems that this is an attempt to reduce
waste production, mainly grass clippings! What a racket this recycling
business is becoming. We spent energy to clean bottles, glasses etc for
recycling then is is all dumped together and shipped to India it seems,
where it is mainly dumped in landfill!

The link is
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai.../09/09/eagarde
n109.xml
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 09-09-2008, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I couldn't agree with you more but remember the old saying that the people
get the government they deserve. Once you vote 'em in you've handed them the
keys to your life - and have this lot found out how to use them! And if one
doesn't vote, one has no right to moan at all, IMO. Even a spoiled paper
indicating an inability to put a pin between the lot of them expresses some
form of opinion!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-09-2008, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:
While waiting for my wife to shop I browsed the headlines of various
daily papers this morning. One of them,I never noticed which, claimed
the dear old government are planning to bring in rules about what we
can do with our gardens. It seems that this is an attempt to reduce
waste production, mainly grass clippings! What a racket this recycling
business is becoming. We spent energy to clean bottles, glasses etc
for recycling then is is all dumped together and shipped to India it
seems, where it is mainly dumped in landfill!

So, take up lawns and replace them with................block paving?
......................yeah, lets encourage some more flooding. Talking of
flooding, I'd agree with banning junk mail. Less to recycle, more trees left
standing........hopefully.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 09-09-2008, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Broadback
writes
While waiting for my wife to shop I browsed the headlines of various
daily papers this morning. One of them,I never noticed which, claimed
the dear old government are planning to bring in rules about what we
can do with our gardens. It seems that this is an attempt to reduce
waste production, mainly grass clippings! What a racket this recycling
business is becoming. We spent energy to clean bottles, glasses etc for
recycling then is is all dumped together and shipped to India it seems,
where it is mainly dumped in landfill!

The link is
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai.../09/09/eagarde
n109.xml
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Sorry, the page you have requested is not available
Please try again later

It worked for me, but then I added that little bit on the following line. I
tried to TinyURL it but for some reason, that won't work this morning.
Graham

Old 09-09-2008, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Broadback
writes
While waiting for my wife to shop I browsed the headlines of various
daily papers this morning. One of them,I never noticed which, claimed
the dear old government are planning to bring in rules about what we
can do with our gardens. It seems that this is an attempt to reduce
waste production, mainly grass clippings! What a racket this recycling
business is becoming. We spent energy to clean bottles, glasses etc for
recycling then is is all dumped together and shipped to India it seems,
where it is mainly dumped in landfill!

The only example of this, as far as I remember, is the proposed planning
permission which could be required to _pave over_ gardens.

The amount of flooding which has occurred over the last few years is
probably not helped by covering the land with concrete!
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 09-09-2008, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Broadback
writes
While waiting for my wife to shop I browsed the headlines of various
daily papers this morning. One of them,I never noticed which, claimed
the dear old government are planning to bring in rules about what we
can do with our gardens. It seems that this is an attempt to reduce
waste production, mainly grass clippings! What a racket this recycling
business is becoming. We spent energy to clean bottles, glasses etc
for recycling then is is all dumped together and shipped to India it
seems, where it is mainly dumped in landfill!

The link is
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai.../09/09/eagarde
n109.xml

Had a struggle to patch that link together. The article consists
mainly of an opportunist Tory rant about a discussion document, and
rambles on about paper recycling among other things. :-)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 09-09-2008, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 9, 1:13*pm, Broadback wrote:
While waiting for my wife to shop I browsed the headlines of various
daily papers this morning. One of them,I never noticed which, claimed
the dear old government are planning to bring in rules about what we can
do with our gardens. It seems that this is an attempt to reduce waste
production, mainly grass clippings! What a racket this recycling
business is becoming. We spent energy to clean bottles, glasses etc for
recycling then is is all dumped together and shipped to India it seems,
where it is mainly dumped in landfill!

Beware of newspaper headlines - especially some of your most
imaginative British red-tops!
If you're interested in the topic, I'd suggest researching it
seriously as to what draft legislation may be in the pipeline in this
regard - if any.
Cat(h)

Old 09-09-2008, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Cat(h)" writes:
| On Sep 9, 1:13=A0pm, Broadback wrote:
| While waiting for my wife to shop I browsed the headlines of various
| daily papers this morning. One of them,I never noticed which, claimed
| the dear old government are planning to bring in rules about what we can
| do with our gardens. It seems that this is an attempt to reduce waste
| production, mainly grass clippings! What a racket this recycling
| business is becoming. We spent energy to clean bottles, glasses etc for
| recycling then is is all dumped together and shipped to India it seems,
| where it is mainly dumped in landfill!
|
| Beware of newspaper headlines - especially some of your most
| imaginative British red-tops!

Regrettably, Mordochisation now means that includes most of the old
broadsheets - and the Torygraph has been the most unreliable heap of
rubbish on such matters for decades.

Frankly, the only widely available papers where the news isn't more
propaganda than fact are the Scotsman, the Independent and the
Guardian - and they get increasingly woolly-minded in that order, so
you have to allow for them being just plain addled. You should, of
course, ignore the carefully balanced collection of unbalanced loons
that the Independent allows free rein to in the Opinions and Comment
section.

But at least those three TRY to separate fact from polemic - the
others actually try to dress up polemic as fact - not that they need
to be that subtle for their readership :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article
,
"Cat(h)" writes:
| On Sep 9, 1:13=A0pm, Broadback wrote:
| While waiting for my wife to shop I browsed the headlines of various
| daily papers this morning. One of them,I never noticed which, claimed
| the dear old government are planning to bring in rules about what we
can
| do with our gardens. It seems that this is an attempt to reduce waste
| production, mainly grass clippings! What a racket this recycling
| business is becoming. We spent energy to clean bottles, glasses etc
for
| recycling then is is all dumped together and shipped to India it
seems,
| where it is mainly dumped in landfill!
|
| Beware of newspaper headlines - especially some of your most
| imaginative British red-tops!

snip subjective opinion

Nobody has the right to persuade others what is good to read and what is not
good.

I don't read any newspapers but I don't suggest that others don't.

If you don't like the papers don't waste your life on them.

Mary

Old 09-09-2008, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| Nobody has the right to persuade others what is good to read and what is not
| good.

But newspaper owners have the right to distort facts to 'persuade'
people what to think? Oh, really?

| I don't read any newspapers but I don't suggest that others don't.

Well, I do and I don't. You should, and you shouldn't tell people
that they aren't allowed to use persuasion to try to convince other
people to read intelligently.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
While waiting for my wife to shop I browsed the headlines of various daily
papers this morning. One of them,I never noticed which, claimed the dear
old government are planning to bring in rules about what we can do with
our gardens. It seems that this is an attempt to reduce waste production,
mainly grass clippings! What a racket this recycling business is becoming.
We spent energy to clean bottles, glasses etc for recycling then is is all
dumped together and shipped to India it seems, where it is mainly dumped
in landfill!

Planning permission for gardens will be promoted by supermarkets scared of
you growing your own food. You will be stealing their profits!
Just wait until I have to trim my neighbours overhanging bush again.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2008-09-09 17:08:35 +0100, Gordon H
said:

In message , Broadback
writes
While waiting for my wife to shop I browsed the headlines of various
daily papers this morning. One of them,I never noticed which, claimed
the dear old government are planning to bring in rules about what we
can do with our gardens. It seems that this is an attempt to reduce
waste production, mainly grass clippings! What a racket this recycling
business is becoming. We spent energy to clean bottles, glasses etc for
recycling then is is all dumped together and shipped to India it seems,
where it is mainly dumped in landfill!

The only example of this, as far as I remember, is the proposed
planning permission which could be required to _pave over_ gardens.

The amount of flooding which has occurred over the last few years is
probably not helped by covering the land with concrete!

DEFRA will shortly introduce legislation to dispense with the
requirement to obtain planning permission for paving -- as long as the
paving material used is permeable. In view of the increased incidence
of flooding, it seems sensible to move away from hard landscaping which
could increase the flooding danger to our homes.

And when we suffer from drought instead, impermeable surfaces conduct
rainwater to drains from where it flows uselessly out to sea. Better to
allow it to be absorbed by the land, where some of it will reach the
aquifers. It could also reduce the risk of subsidence - which became
very common on clay soils during recent droughts.