Old 24-11-2008, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Greenhouse question

"Ornata" wrote in message
Happymeow

I go along with the advice to fix your greenhouse to a brick base. I
have a 10 x 8 ft greenhouse with fairly good ridge height, which is
fixed to a 2-course brick wall and with its base. Even so, I find
myself wishing it was even higher (and bigger all round, to be
honest!) Not only does extra head height give you more room for tall
plants, shelving, etc., it also improves air flow (ventilation is
important for greenhouse plants in summer and winter).

But the guy has already got a metal base so it would be better for him to
make use of it.
The area seems to be preslabbed so rawlbolts down to those would be quite
suffient.
If a brick wall is introduced as well he would need two steps - not just
one !
I contrived using my metal base in a way that involved no steps - but there
again I am a shortarse !!
My updated 90 x120 ft is also constructed stepless.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 24-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ornata View Post
On 23 Nov, 11:07, Happymeow
wrote:
Hi,

I just bought a 6*6 greenhouse from Argos and it came with a steel
base. However the instruction for the metal plates that use to connect
the base and the ground is first dig 4 deep holes in the ground and
attached the plates to the 4 corners of the steel base, then greenhouse
goes on top.

I went to Wickes yesterday trying to find some smaller metal plate to
connect the corners of the steel base but nothing fit!

My problem is because i am not putting my greenhouse on the grass/soil,
and i am planning put it on my paving. So it is possible of not using
the base at all and just leave my greenhouse on my paving? Any advice
welcome/

Thanks

--
Happymeow

I go along with the advice to fix your greenhouse to a brick base. I
have a 10 x 8 ft greenhouse with fairly good ridge height, which is
fixed to a 2-course brick wall and with its base. Even so, I find
myself wishing it was even higher (and bigger all round, to be
honest!) Not only does extra head height give you more room for tall
plants, shelving, etc., it also improves air flow (ventilation is
important for greenhouse plants in summer and winter).
Thank you for everyone who repsonded. The mini green house that i have is 158cm in height and yes they are against the fence - I am planning to put my greenhouse in the exact same spot for the 2 mini green houses and put the mini greenhouse inside. I've contacted the company who sold us the greenhouse and they suggested us to cut the anchor into four pieces and use three of them as bracket and drew onto the ground. I have also bought a hacksaw today. Hopfully my husband can help me to cut them into pieces - so at least I can attached my greenhouse into the steel base... depend on how robost it is after it is completed and decide whether i will stick the base onto the concrete - even though my husband would hate this idea!!! but at least it is one step further!! Thank you so much for everyone's help!
Old 24-11-2008, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Charlie Pridham contains these words:

If you do not anchor it the frame can flex in a high wind which will
break the glass, an unpredicted storm could be highly dangerous if it is
completely unsecured.

A predicted one can do just as much damage...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 25-11-2008, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Happymeow" wrote in message

[...]

No problem - good luck with the project - it sounds as though you will need
it, with no resident hacksaw
already on the premises !
Feel free to come back to us if you hit any unexpected snags.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 25-11-2008, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 13:13:05 -0000, "Pete Stockdale"
wrote:

"Happymeow" wrote in message

I go along with the advice to fix your greenhouse to a brick base. I
have a 10 x 8 ft greenhouse with fairly good ridge height, which is
fixed to a 2-course brick wall and with its base. Even so, I find
myself wishing it was even higher (and bigger all round, to be
honest!) Not only does extra head height give you more room for tall
plants, shelving, etc., it also improves air flow (ventilation is
important for greenhouse plants in summer and winter).

I erected a 10 x 8' greenhouse. raw plugged on to a low brick-built
base and then wished that I had allowed for more headroom.

I dug out a central path 12" deeper than the soil layer, concreted the
footpath and put in some narrow upright surrounds for the beds.

A quick and easy extra 9" headroom. It's no hardship to have to go
down 2 shallow steps into the house (and it gives the spiders more
head space too)

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²
Old 25-11-2008, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete Stockdale" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message
(We scrapped the metal base BUT built a small brick wall to mount the
greenhouse on and with Masonry drills, fixed it to the bricks. That was
about 10 years ago and it has not moved an inch. Brick wall was one brick
on edge.)

Whichever of the two suggested methods you use
- do not forget to ensure to ensure you start off with a level playing
field.
(recently discussed here at length !)
I would go for the metal base alternative myself but if you lay a mean
brick, then Mike's alternative is worth considering.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

For what its worth...

When i did mine (not Argos) i used the steel base, but was putting it on a
concrete base. I cut off the spike part of the corner fitting with a
hacksaw, and bolted the base down with anchor bolts. Where i am is a bit
exposed, and i do exect high winds.

John

Old 25-11-2008, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 17:34:09 +0000, Happymeow
wrote:
Thank you for everyone who repsonded. The mini green house that i have
is 158cm in height and yes they are against the fence - I am planning
to put my greenhouse in the exact same spot for the 2 mini green houses
and put the mini greenhouse inside. I've contacted the company who sold
us the greenhouse and they suggested us to cut the anchor into four
pieces and use three of them as bracket and drew onto the ground. I
have also bought a hacksaw today. Hopfully my husband can help me to
cut them into pieces - so at least I can attached my greenhouse into
the steel base... depend on how robost it is after it is completed and
decide whether i will stick the base onto the concrete - even though my
husband would hate this idea!!! but at least it is one step further!!
Thank you so much for everyone's help!

Instead of drilling holes to hold the brackets down, perhaps you could
lay a couple of heavy slabs on each one. That should have a similar
effect without any drilling.

Old 25-11-2008, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John T" wrote in message

For what its worth...

When i did mine (not Argos) i used the steel base, but was putting it on a
concrete base. I cut off the spike part of the corner fitting with a
hacksaw, and bolted the base down with anchor bolts. Where i am is a bit
exposed, and i do exect high winds.

I immersed most of my steel base in the wet concrete as I laid it.
No second chance to ensure it was level and square though .
Absolutely no chance of it blowing away either !

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 25-11-2008, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

My first greenhouse a 10 x8 i dug down about 20 " and shuttered the sides
and filled with concrete.This was all a after thought about a year later !

Keith