Old 15-01-2009, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default fear of the unknown? rather OT

'Man is always, I think, made fearful by what he does not understand....

'A lady wishing to keep people from crossing her lawn put up a notice
BEWARE OF THE DOG.
It had no effect.

She then put one up BEWARE FIERCE DOG
- still no effect -

But when she put up BEWARE AGAPANTHUS, no one dared come near.'

Jim Ede - Founder of Kettle's Yard, Cambridge. (from ‘Open House’
Exhibition Catalogue)

--
Klara, SE Surrey
Old 15-01-2009, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Klara writes

'Man is always, I think, made fearful by what he does not understand....

'A lady wishing to keep people from crossing her lawn put up a notice
BEWARE OF THE DOG.
It had no effect.

She then put one up BEWARE FIERCE DOG
- still no effect -

But when she put up BEWARE AGAPANTHUS, no one dared come near.'

Jim Ede - Founder of Kettle's Yard, Cambridge. (from ‘Open House’
Exhibition Catalogue)

That appeared as a cartoon in I think) Amateur Gardening in the 1950s

--
Kay
Old 15-01-2009, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
Klara writes

'Man is always, I think, made fearful by what he does not understand....

'A lady wishing to keep people from crossing her lawn put up a notice
BEWARE OF THE DOG.
It had no effect.

She then put one up BEWARE FIERCE DOG
- still no effect -

But when she put up BEWARE AGAPANTHUS, no one dared come near.'

Jim Ede - Founder of Kettle's Yard, Cambridge. (from ‘Open House’
Exhibition Catalogue)

That appeared as a cartoon in I think) Amateur Gardening in the 1950s

I thought somehow it couldn't be new ... but my, you've got quite a
memory!

--
Klara, SE Surrey
Old 15-01-2009, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Klara
writes
In message , K
writes
Klara writes

'Man is always, I think, made fearful by what he does not understand....

'A lady wishing to keep people from crossing her lawn put up a notice
BEWARE OF THE DOG.
It had no effect.

She then put one up BEWARE FIERCE DOG
- still no effect -

But when she put up BEWARE AGAPANTHUS, no one dared come near.'

Jim Ede - Founder of Kettle's Yard, Cambridge. (from ‘Open House’
Exhibition Catalogue)

That appeared as a cartoon in I think) Amateur Gardening in the 1950s

I thought somehow it couldn't be new ... but my, you've got quite a
memory!

I think it was 1953, either October or November, and there was an
article on pruning and another on "Preparing for Winter".

(Of course that happens every damn year). ;-)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 16-01-2009, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 16:49:51 +0000, Klara
wrote:

'Man is always, I think, made fearful by what he does not understand....

'A lady wishing to keep people from crossing her lawn put up a notice
BEWARE OF THE DOG.
It had no effect.

She then put one up BEWARE FIERCE DOG
- still no effect -

But when she put up BEWARE AGAPANTHUS, no one dared come near.'

Jim Ede - Founder of Kettle's Yard, Cambridge. (from ‘Open House’
Exhibition Catalogue)

When I heard the story it was "beware creeping fescue" which I felt
sounded slightly more sinister.

What would be readers dire warning to trespassers?

Roy.
--
Roy.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Old 17-01-2009, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16 Jan, 22:12, Sacha wrote:
Beware of the Bull is rather mundane but it worked for us in a field where
people kept stealing daffodils.

We've got a sign which says 'Hippies, use the back door'. We've never
had any problems.
Old 20-01-2009, 12:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roy Norris" wrote in message

What would be readers dire warning to trespassers?

Beware of billy goat or beware of geese. Either works well ;-)

Old 20-01-2009, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 00:22:51 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Roy Norris" wrote in message
. ..

What would be readers dire warning to trespassers?

Beware of billy goat or beware of geese. Either works well ;-)

Beware of ferrets up your trouser legs.

Quicksand? (The way our garden looks right now, quite believable...)

--
Klara, SE Surrey
Old 20-01-2009, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Roy Norris" wrote in message

What would be readers dire warning to trespassers?

Beware of billy goat or beware of geese. Either works well ;-)

I saw a sign on sale in a US gunshop window:

"Do you believe in the afterlife? Trespass here to find out!"

Graham

Old 20-01-2009, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Christina Websell
writes

"Roy Norris" wrote in message
.. .

What would be readers dire warning to trespassers?

A dog, with a long chain attached.

Beware of billy goat or beware of geese. Either works well ;-)

As a walker, I have been attacked by a group of geese, and had to kick
at them whilst a female companion scooted past. That was repeated
a year or two later in the same spot.

We never found a bull in any field which had the BULL IN FIELD notice,
but have become aware of the bull in unmarked fields when past the point
of no return. Sometimes they "gave us the eye" as we skirted them
at a decent distance.

On two occasions a loose dog became very aggressive and threatening
without attacking, farm dogs are usually either tied up or harmless
apart from barking.

The most scary notice was on a garden gate in West Yorkshi
"Forget the dog. BEWARE OF THE OWNER"!
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 20-01-2009, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roy Norris" wrote in message

What would be readers dire warning to trespassers?

Beware of billy goat or beware of geese. Either works well ;-)

I saw a sign on sale in a US gunshop window:

"Do you believe in the afterlife? Trespass here to find out!"

Graham

Can't remember if I've said it here before but we tried very hard (and
failed) to find the sticker we saw on the back of a truck
"Insured by Smith & Wesson". ;-))
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 21-01-2009, 12:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roy Norris" wrote in message

What would be readers dire warning to trespassers?

Beware of billy goat or beware of geese. Either works well ;-)

I saw a sign on sale in a US gunshop window:

"Do you believe in the afterlife? Trespass here to find out!"

Graham

Can't remember if I've said it here before but we tried very hard (and
failed) to find the sticker we saw on the back of a truck
"Insured by Smith & Wesson". ;-))

You can get it here, Sacha.
http://www.bumpertalk.com/bumpertalk/BC050A.html

How clever of you! I'll try to find that though I shall probably be hauled
up by the local police for having threatening literature on my wind screen.
There's another I want to find to counteract the 'baby on board' ones, which
says 'Pasty on board'. ;-)
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
(new website online)

she'd rather fear simply than attempt with Jay's upper kettle [email protected] United Kingdom 0 01-09-2005 03:11 PM
seeded lawn rather patchy weed Lawns 7 01-06-2005 06:16 PM
[IBC] Bonsai or rather Penjing in Beijing Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 1 17-01-2004 05:13 PM
Rain rather than host waterings Rick McGreal United Kingdom 10 06-06-2003 07:20 PM
Can anyone recommend a good plant to use in rather strange circumstances [email protected] United Kingdom 5 29-03-2003 04:56 AM