Old 30-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Registered User

Default Privacy screen

Hi, we have an issue with a neighbour who borders our rear garden, he has a complete view of our patio and conservatory and I wish to screen the view. Can anyone recommend potted plants/trees that will provide year round privacy, approx 8ft tall, reasonably priced and hardy as the wind blows between the houses. Any help appreciated.
Old 30-01-2009, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 30/01/09 16:11, CamRAIN wrote:
Hi, we have an issue with a neighbour who borders our rear garden, he
has a complete view of our patio and conservatory and I wish to screen
the view. Can anyone recommend potted plants/trees that will provide
year round privacy, approx 8ft tall, reasonably priced and hardy as the
wind blows between the houses. Any help appreciated.

umm? y do u have an issue with ur neighbour? yuz not get on?

Ed
Old 31-01-2009, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

CamRAIN wrote:
Hi, we have an issue with a neighbour who borders our rear garden, he
has a complete view of our patio and conservatory and I wish to screen
the view. Can anyone recommend potted plants/trees that will provide
year round privacy, approx 8ft tall, reasonably priced and hardy as the
wind blows between the houses. Any help appreciated.

Pyrachanthus hedging sounds ideal.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 31-01-2009, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"CamRAIN" wrote in message

Hi, we have an issue with a neighbour who borders our rear garden, he
has a complete view of our patio and conservatory and I wish to screen
the view. Can anyone recommend potted plants/trees that will provide
year round privacy, approx 8ft tall, reasonably priced and hardy as the
wind blows between the houses. Any help appreciated.

Our neighbour's twee cottage, 6 feet lower than our ground, looks out over
our entire garden. We planted a) a plum tree, b) a mulberry tree, c) lots
of tall grasses. People have a right to light, not a right to sight. I
made a herbaceous bed next to their house and planted Acanthus, tall
grasses, anything really.

If you plant some shrub or other, and it grows up, as long as it's not a
Leylandii I think you're safe. So grow something about 8 feet tall, like a
pampas grass.

someone

Old 01-02-2009, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
On 30/1/09 16:11, in article
, "CamRAIN"
wrote:

Hi, we have an issue with a neighbour who borders our rear garden, he
has a complete view of our patio and conservatory and I wish to screen
the view. Can anyone recommend potted plants/trees that will provide
year round privacy, approx 8ft tall, reasonably priced and hardy as the
wind blows between the houses. Any help appreciated.

When I die "where do you live?" will be engraved on my heart. ;-) It does
make a difference to what people suggest. However, knowing the size of your
garden helps, too. 8' tall but what spread can you 'afford' in terms of
taking up space in your garden? Could you make a raised bed with suitable
drainage holes at the bottom, put in a screen and train e.g. Holboellia,
Clematis Armandii (depending on your location) or as someone has suggested,
Pyracantha up it? This might extend your choices as not everything can live
in a pot forever. If it has to be pots you could have a row of bay trees,
kept clipped to the shape you desire.

How did your two Holboellias react to the January cold Sacha? we had -9c
here and mine did not like it too much and have shed a lot of leaves,
first time I have seen any damage on them.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 01-02-2009, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/2/09 14:47, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...
On 30/1/09 16:11, in article
, "CamRAIN"
wrote:

[...]

So far, so good, Charlie. We've only got one outside, opposite the big
double greenhouse, on a trellis. It's facing north but must get some
shelter from the greenhouse. That's H. latifolia, IIRC. Even the Rosa
banksia lutea on our south wall is still green but the Clematis rehederiana
entangled with that has lost its leaves, so I hope we don't lose it. The
temperature is now heading downwards like a stone, so it looks as if the
forecasts are right. My daughter lives in Chepstow and she says it's
snowing there but here we have a clearing sky over the hill, which bodes for
an even colder night. ;-(

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-02-2009, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David in Normandy wrote:
CamRAIN wrote:
Hi, we have an issue with a neighbour who borders our rear garden, he
has a complete view of our patio and conservatory and I wish to screen
the view. Can anyone recommend potted plants/trees that will provide
year round privacy, approx 8ft tall, reasonably priced and hardy as the
wind blows between the houses. Any help appreciated.

Pyrachanthus hedging sounds ideal.

Not if you want to upset the neighbour even more. Pyracantha is a thug, and
will send long branches out into the neighbour's garden. Those branches
will have numerous sharp thorns, and require constant trimming. Not only
that, but the vast number of berries will mean that, before too long,
pyracantha will be all over the place.

It makes a good wall shrub, or a good "wild" hedge, but is really not
suitable for the OP's needs. He needs something which grows up, and only
slightly out. Maybe a non-invasive bamboo would be ok. The OP could look
here (or similar - Google is your friend) for suitable plants
http://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk.

--
Jeff

Old 01-02-2009, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
David in Normandy wrote:
CamRAIN wrote:

Hi, we have an issue with a neighbour who borders our rear garden, he
has a complete view of our patio and conservatory and I wish to screen
the view. Can anyone recommend potted plants/trees that will provide
year round privacy, approx 8ft tall, reasonably priced and hardy as the
wind blows between the houses. Any help appreciated.

Pyrachanthus hedging sounds ideal.

Not if you want to upset the neighbour even more. Pyracantha is a thug, and
will send long branches out into the neighbour's garden. Those branches
will have numerous sharp thorns, and require constant trimming. Not only
that, but the vast number of berries will mean that, before too long,
pyracantha will be all over the place.

Not in a pot, it won't - but it won't grow to 8', either. I never
had any problem with self-seeding.

It makes a good wall shrub, or a good "wild" hedge, but is really not
suitable for the OP's needs. He needs something which grows up, and only
slightly out. Maybe a non-invasive bamboo would be ok. The OP could look
here (or similar - Google is your friend) for suitable plants
http://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk.

And will thrive in a pot, without daily watering. Most bamboos will
not.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Registered User

Hi Charlie,

In pots, bamboo is the one I reckon. Can you provide any info on how I should layer the pot inside....gravel, type of compost and feed? The position is a little windy although the one potted bamboo I have there has not suffered any significant wind burn this last year. Saying that, it is snowing, windy and about -2 as I write this.

An additional question regarding the rest of my garden, when would be a good time to layer horse manure on the beds? I have raised beds in troughs all round and have a varied mixture of plants.

Many thanks.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/2/09 08:43, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...
but the Clematis rehederiana
entangled with that has lost its leaves, so I hope we don't lose it.

Mine is always deciduous so hopefully yours will be ok, I have only lost
my plant once and that was the year I pruned it hard in January, I now
wait till late Feb but have no idea whether the original timing was the
cause of it dying (no wonder people end up doing daft good luck
routines!)
Given your edge of moor location it often surprises me how much colder we
are here, even the Phormiums have been badly damaged and its frozen in
solid again today, never going to get my wall finished at this rate!

This place is strange, I must admit. I suppose we get some protection from
the hills around us, so get less frost etc. than many others over the hill
towards Ashburton. That said, the east facing roof of one of the
greenhouses is still completely whited out. I don't know yet what it went
down to last night so will have to ask Ray - I'm staying indoors with the
lurgy and keeping warm! There was some frost on parts of the garden earlier
on but no snow here yet.
Our C. rehederiana always loses some leaves but rarely loses all of them.
However, as it is on a house wall and has some protection from other things,
I'm very hopeful for it. I'm not as confident about the climbing Dicentra
on the same wall, though...... That's growing below and through a
Chaenomeles, so I hope that's given it a bit of shelter.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
David in Normandy wrote:
CamRAIN wrote:

Hi, we have an issue with a neighbour who borders our rear garden, he
has a complete view of our patio and conservatory and I wish to screen
the view. Can anyone recommend potted plants/trees that will provide
year round privacy, approx 8ft tall, reasonably priced and hardy as the
wind blows between the houses. Any help appreciated.

Pyrachanthus hedging sounds ideal.

Not if you want to upset the neighbour even more. Pyracantha is a thug,
and will send long branches out into the neighbour's garden. Those
branches will have numerous sharp thorns, and require constant trimming.
Not only that, but the vast number of berries will mean that, before too
long, pyracantha will be all over the place.

Not in a pot, it won't - but it won't grow to 8', either. I never
had any problem with self-seeding.

It will soon outgrow any pot it is put in. I see that the hedging suppliers
quote 90cm plants in 3 litre pots. Repot a plant that size into a decent
sized pot (20+ l) and it will get over 8 feet within 3 years. It is
basically unsuitable for a container. This is from The Guardian a few weeks
ago:

"I have a pyracantha in an old dustbin; good drainage, compost, water
occasionally. Why do the berries fall off?

Although in theory anything can be grown in a container, as long as it's big
enough, pyracantha is a pretty poor choice. It is large, with an ungainly
habit, and I imagine it is a nightmare to keep upright. It will quickly
outgrow even your generous dustbin. With only occasional watering, the berry
problem is almost certainly down to dryness at the roots. Irregular watering
means that the plant has no idea when it is going to get its next drink.
With no access to the ground, shedding berries is one of the few things it
can do to conserve moisture and save itself. If you can plant it out, please
do, and find something more appropriate for your bin. Otherwise, at least
give it regular water. A drip hose and timer would keep it happy."

It's not often I agree with The Guardian, but if you don't like The
Guardian, try this
(
http://www.angliangardener.co.uk/Any...ntainers.htm):

"Q. Can Pyracantha be grown in large pots, tubs or troughs?

A. Yes they can, but aren't usually because - they grow very large and will
outgrow even a very large tub / they have lots of large vicious thorns, tubs
and troughs are usually placed where people walk close - it will also give
major problems at repotting time too, rather you than me! / they are not
particularly "regular" in their growth habit, fine for the garden at large,
but not a good characteristic for a container plant."

And as for self-seeding, you are lucky. I got fed up trying to pull the
things up from between paviers.

It makes a good wall shrub, or a good "wild" hedge, but is really not
suitable for the OP's needs. He needs something which grows up, and only
slightly out. Maybe a non-invasive bamboo would be ok. The OP could look
here (or similar - Google is your friend) for suitable plants
http://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk.

And will thrive in a pot, without daily watering. Most bamboos will
not.

It will thrive too well in a pot, and it will also need regular watering,
even if not daily. Bamboos will do ok if not allowed to dry out, but if
grown well will need timely repotting before they get stuck in their pots.
But in general they aren't cheap to begin with. Probably best to split them
up before planting in their final containers, then they will get away to
form the wanted screen pretty quickly.

--
Jeff

Privacy screen suggestions? Gary Gardening 8 10-04-2005 03:43 AM
Privacy screen suggestions? Gary Ponds 8 10-04-2005 03:43 AM
Privacy Screen Mark Bornfeld Gardening 1 09-08-2004 04:03 AM
Conifers as privacy screen Ron Blocher Lawns 0 20-07-2003 02:53 AM
privacy screen rb Lawns 1 22-05-2003 03:56 AM