Old 03-02-2009, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Snowdrops in the green

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 16:04:32 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 13:30:52 +0000, Broadback wrote:

Judith in France wrote:
On 2 Feb, 11:07, "Jeff Layman" wrote:
Pam Moore wrote:
Does anyone know of a good, reasonably priced mail-order supplier of
Snowdrops in the green? Prices seem to vary a lot on the sites I've
looked at.
My sight doesn't make easy reading of magazines so I don't take mags
any more but if anyone sees an ad there please let me know.
Ijust want the ordinary galanthus nivalis, no expensive £3 a bulb
types!!!
Thanks in advance
Pam in Bristol
Has anyone here grown snowdrops successfully from dry bulbs? The books say
that you are doomed to failure if you try, but I just wondered if anyone has
tried, and what happened.

--
Jeff

I have, in the first year they all came up but only some flowered, the
second year they all flowered, I didn't lose any.

Judith

I also have, about 75% success. However I have since planted in the
green, sadly though there are less this year than last. Very saddened.

I'm sure we have less and less every year, although we plant more and more.

My experience is the same; less each year although I plant more.
YET the early flowering oned I wrote about recently are obviously well
established and multiplying!

Pam in Bristol
Old 03-02-2009, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...
The message
from Broadback contains these words:

I also have, about 75% success. However I have since planted in the
green, sadly though there are less this year than last. Very saddened.

I recommend squirrel casserole.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

My (grey) squirrels don't eat my snowdrop bulbs, even though (due to a hilly
site and soil translocation) the bulbs often become exposed on the surface.
I'd always assumed they were safe from squirrels. Could mice, or some other
rodent, be scoffing them?

I find that my snowdrops multiply very well. However, I suffer from that
frequent gardener's complaint: generosity :~). I have given so many away to
sad would-be galanthophiles who have failed with dry bulbs, that I now have
a few bare patches. I'm not complaining, though; my first batch of reliable
in-the-green bulbs came from a generous neighbour. It's lovely to be able
to carry on that tradition, a la Sacha.

I think it was Jeff Layman who started the subthread about dry bulbs. I'm
wondering if the failures were due to *really* dry supermarket bulbs, and
the successes due to bulbs from colder storage in good nurseries and gcs.

Got to dash now - just been invited out for tea :~)). I'll look in again
later.

Spider

Old 03-02-2009, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Spider" contains these words:

Got to dash now - just been invited out for tea :~)). I'll look in again
later.

Just bought a rather nice old teapot. When I've eased some slight dents
out and straightened one of the feet I'll post a pic.

How many cups of tea with it?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 03-02-2009, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...
The message
from "Spider" contains these words:

Got to dash now - just been invited out for tea :~)). I'll look in again
later.

Just bought a rather nice old teapot. When I've eased some slight dents
out and straightened one of the feet I'll post a pic.

Lovely :~). I hope it doesn't have a rusty hinge as well! {:~

How many cups of tea with it?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

I had two cups of tea, thank you, and I was very good and declined biscuits.

There is something lovely about teapots, isn't there? - apart from the tea,
that is!
I have a friend who collects them, and I have one or two myself. Alas,
nobody seems to make decaff loose leaf tea; sacrilege, I know, but migraine
doesn't give me a lot of choice, so I'm doomed to drink teabag tea most of
the time. Fortunately, I've found a brand I quite enjoy. I'd still like a
'proper' brew, though. Nothing quite like it.

Oops .. we seem to have wobbled off topic .. or at least changed the thread
from Galanthus nivalis to Camellia chinensis! Oh well, never mind. Enjoy
your teapot.

Spider

Old 03-02-2009, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Spider" contains these words:
"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...
The message
from "Spider" contains these words:

Got to dash now - just been invited out for tea :~)). I'll look in again
later.

Just bought a rather nice old teapot. When I've eased some slight dents
out and straightened one of the feet I'll post a pic.

Lovely :~). I hope it doesn't have a rusty hinge as well! {:~

No. It has a very nicely-fitted silver-plated hinge. Unlike most of my
silver plated artifacts, most of the silver remains where it was
deposited.

Foot straightened - an easier job than I'd anticipated. Let's hope the
undenting is as easy...

How many cups of tea with it?

/sig removed/

I had two cups of tea, thank you, and I was very good and declined biscuits.

Hmmm. Had some oatcakes, butter and real proper non-slab Cheddar with my
two mugs of tea.

There is something lovely about teapots, isn't there? - apart from the tea,
that is!

True. Have a Victorian (I'd guess) N.S. (all E.P. worn off) matching
'gentleman's teapot', milk jug and sugar bowl. Pretty, pale gold colour,
but molishes only two small cups of tea.

New model will molish a small bucketful.

I have a friend who collects them, and I have one or two myself. Alas,
nobody seems to make decaff loose leaf tea; sacrilege, I know, but migraine
doesn't give me a lot of choice, so I'm doomed to drink teabag tea most of
the time. Fortunately, I've found a brand I quite enjoy. I'd still like a
'proper' brew, though. Nothing quite like it.

Ah, back on gardening - make a tisane from feverfew leaves - it often
prevents migraines - but it doesn't seem to have any effect once you're
under its evil spell. (Migraine, not feverfew)

It's better with fresh leaves, but feverfew is so prolific that you
should be able to dry a winter's supply from very few plants.

When my mother took the tisane in the morning, she seldom (if ever)
succumbed to migraine. Very often however, she said she'd wished she'd
had her morning cup...

Oops .. we seem to have wobbled off topic .. or at least changed the thread
from Galanthus nivalis to Camellia chinensis! Oh well, never mind. Enjoy
your teapot.

Teapots! SS ones, china ones, a Chinese earthenware one (I can't make
out whether the spout is on at right-angles to the handle, or vice
versa...) and the plated ones - well, one plated and the other
displated.

I got some tea nuts from Chiltern Seeds some years ago, but they didn't
germinate. They have a very short viability.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 03-02-2009, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Sounds lovely. Good luck with the undenting process .. much harder to
achieve.

How many cups of tea with it?

/sig removed/

I had two cups of tea, thank you, and I was very good and declined
biscuits.

Hmmm. Had some oatcakes, butter and real proper non-slab Cheddar with my
two mugs of tea.

Yummy. The Husband Thingy would call your proper Cheddar 'great lumps of
fat'! Grrrr.. honestly!

There is something lovely about teapots, isn't there? - apart from the
tea,
that is!

True. Have a Victorian (I'd guess) N.S. (all E.P. worn off) matching
'gentleman's teapot', milk jug and sugar bowl. Pretty, pale gold colour,
but molishes only two small cups of tea.

:~(

New model will molish a small bucketful.

Much more like it! :~))

[...]

Sadly, I never found it very effective. Perhaps I should try again. My
real problem isn't having migraine, it's having too many triggers *and*
neuropathy. However, thanks for the reminder about feverfew; I will try
again.

Oops .. we seem to have wobbled off topic .. or at least changed the
thread
from Galanthus nivalis to Camellia chinensis! Oh well, never mind.
Enjoy
your teapot.

Teapots! SS ones, china ones, a Chinese earthenware one (I can't make
out whether the spout is on at right-angles to the handle, or vice
versa...) and the plated ones - well, one plated and the other
displated.

Teapots indeed! I have a SS one, two china (one posh, one everyday), and a
'China Tea' pot from the 'World of Tea Collection' signed 'Sadler', but I
don't think it's especially collectible. My collector friend gave it to me,
and I gave her one of mine.
I also have a brass 'vessel (for want of a better name) which could be a
teapot or a small decorative kettle. I would have more, but I've got
Collectors' Brain (an unfortunate condition), but nowhere to put new
acquisitions.

I got some tea nuts from Chiltern Seeds some years ago, but they didn't
germinate. They have a very short viability.

Never heard of those. In one sense, I *am* a tea nut!, but that's not quite
the same thing. Pity you couldn't get it to grow. Was it a Camellia
relative, or what ..?

Spider

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 03-02-2009, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Spider" contains these words:

I got some tea nuts from Chiltern Seeds some years ago, but they didn't
germinate. They have a very short viability.

Never heard of those. In one sense, I *am* a tea nut!, but that's not
quite
the same thing. Pity you couldn't get it to grow. Was it a Camellia
relative, or what ..?

The tea bush - Camellia sinensis - has nuts - about the size of an
acorn, but a bit rounder.

They should be planted immediately, if not earlier...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 04-02-2009, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...
The message
from "Spider" contains these words:

I got some tea nuts from Chiltern Seeds some years ago, but they didn't
germinate. They have a very short viability.

Never heard of those. In one sense, I *am* a tea nut!, but that's not
quite
the same thing. Pity you couldn't get it to grow. Was it a Camellia
relative, or what ..?

The tea bush - Camellia sinensis - has nuts - about the size of an
acorn, but a bit rounder.

They should be planted immediately, if not earlier...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Now I understand. Thanks.

Spider

Old 08-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Registered User

Location: Boston, Lincs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Moore[_2_] View Post
Does anyone know of a good, reasonably priced mail-order supplier of
Snowdrops in the green? Prices seem to vary a lot on the sites I've
looked at.
My sight doesn't make easy reading of magazines so I don't take mags
any more but if anyone sees an ad there please let me know.
Ijust want the ordinary galanthus nivalis, no expensive £3 a bulb
types!!!
Thanks in advance

Pam in Bristol
Hi Pam

Can reccomend Anglia Bulbs £9 per 100. Quick delivery and quality bulbs