Old 19-03-2009, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Who's got squirrel-trapping experience?

In article 3,
Tom wrote:

I really must buy some squirrel, even if it is only to squick
some squeamish relatives. Personally I don't think you ought
to be regarded as an adult unless you can prepare a small animal
or bird for the pot.

Ah, a Heinleiner! I meet about 70% of his criteria, and can add
quite a few others, like "make a net" and even "make a netting
needle".

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-03-2009, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tom wrote:
I really must buy some squirrel, even if it is only to squick
some squeamish relatives.

You are bad)))

Personally I don't think you ought
to be regarded as an adult unless you can prepare a small animal
or bird for the pot.

Indeed

Last weekend I bought razor clams at the same shop. Delicious
when sauteed for 60s, but some people don't like watching them
wriggle immediately before cooking. But perhaps this is
meandering a bit too far off topic.

I don't eat shellfish so I have never had this problem. I am not sure *I*
would be happing seeing my ingredient still wiggling either

Old 20-03-2009, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tom wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in
:

Tom wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in
:

Might I suggest the OP learns to use his airgun well? Much better
to eat what you kill if they are edible. I have plenty of recipes
if anyone is interested

Yes please. Brief details only! (My local butcher had them
for sale at the weekend).

I presume you can cook them like wild rabbit or hare.

Yes, more or less, but not hare. Oddly enough I have never cooked
them. I might have recipes somewhere if you need them

I cook rabbit and squirrel the same, not unlike chicken.

Is your email good?

Yes, but email to you bounced!

I will mail you.

Old 20-03-2009, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message 3
from Tom contains these words:

Last weekend I bought razor clams at the same shop. Delicious
when sauteed for 60s, but some people don't like watching them
wriggle immediately before cooking. But perhaps this is
meandering a bit too far off topic.

In 1958 when I was hiking round the Highlands I caught an eel. A big
hooter. I cut off its head, and it wriggled.

I skinned it, and it writhed.

I cut into sections, and they twitched.

They only stopped twitching when they were cooking nicely.

Despite the twitchiness, the eel was delicious - and revolted several
passers-by.

--
Rusty

Old 20-03-2009, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

"Ophelia" wrote in
:

Tom wrote:
I really must buy some squirrel, even if it is only to squick
some squeamish relatives.

You are bad)))

Personally I don't think you ought
to be regarded as an adult unless you can prepare a small animal
or bird for the pot.

Indeed

Last weekend I bought razor clams at the same shop. Delicious
when sauteed for 60s, but some people don't like watching them
wriggle immediately before cooking. But perhaps this is
meandering a bit too far off topic.

I don't eat shellfish so I have never had this problem. I am not sure
*I* would be happing seeing my ingredient still wiggling either

I wouldn't want to admit it in public, but I was a
bit squeamish too. And that's probably not a bad thing.

Old 20-03-2009, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

Rusty_Hinge wrote in
. uk:

The message 3
from Tom contains these words:

Last weekend I bought razor clams at the same shop. Delicious
when sauteed for 60s, but some people don't like watching them
wriggle immediately before cooking. But perhaps this is
meandering a bit too far off topic.

In 1958 when I was hiking round the Highlands I caught an eel. A big
hooter. I cut off its head, and it wriggled.

I skinned it, and it writhed.

I cut into sections, and they twitched.

They only stopped twitching when they were cooking nicely.

Despite the twitchiness, the eel was delicious - and revolted several
passers-by.

Oh eels. Especially freshly hot-smoked.

There's the last surviving mud-horse fisherman in
the UK, (Adrian Sellick in Stolford *), and he regularly
catches eels in his nets, and then keeps them alive in
a Belfast sink. As my daughter found out, you can't
lift the eels out with your hands, you have to scoop/flick
them out.

Once upon a time everyone would have known why "as slippery
as an eel" is an apt simile. (And "flying by the seat of
your pants" has real meaning in a glider, but that's
another tangent).

Anyway, I once bought some eels from a local fishmonger
and asked that they kill them. After 5 mins of thumping
out back, the eels were subdued (with a hammer to the
skull) and put in a carrier bag.

I duly put them in the fridge door and, when I came back
an hour later, I had to retrieve one from somewhere else
in the fridge.

[*]
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/may/31/foodanddrink.shopping
Old 21-03-2009, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tom wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in
I don't eat shellfish so I have never had this problem. I am not sure
*I* would be happing seeing my ingredient still wiggling either

I wouldn't want to admit it in public, but I was a
bit squeamish too. And that's probably not a bad thing.

Depends how desparate you are I suppose

Old 21-03-2009, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tom wrote:
I duly put them in the fridge door and, when I came back
an hour later, I had to retrieve one from somewhere else
in the fridge.

Oh dear Did you receive a post from me btw?

Old 21-03-2009, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

"Ophelia" wrote in
:

Tom wrote:
I duly put them in the fridge door and, when I came back
an hour later, I had to retrieve one from somewhere else
in the fridge.

Oh dear Did you receive a post from me btw?

No

You could always try tggzzz at gmail dot com