Old 16-03-2009, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Do Cats Get the Message

The message

from moghouse contains these words:

Oh come, come, surely violence isn't necessary. Think a bit harder.

ACHTUNG!

MINEN!

?

--
Rusty
Old 16-03-2009, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message

from moghouse contains these words:

Oh come, come, surely violence isn't necessary. Think a bit harder.

ACHTUNG!

MINEN!

?

Now, now, Rusty - that's slightly extreme for mere roof rabbits.
Tempting, I agree ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-03-2009, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...
The message
from "Jeff Layman" contains these words:
Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "TheScullster" contains these words:

Hi all

I know this is a recurring theme on this group - methods for repelling
our feline "friends".
Was wondering whether repeated chase-outs actually result in the
offending creature learning that a garden is a no-go-zone.

No.

If so, what level of deterrent is necessary?

Find a chemical distributor and get a canister of aluminium ammonium
sulphate. Sprinkle the crystals on the ground where they go.

I've always understood that chemical distributors will not supply to the
general public ('elf & safety, and all that. And, of course, liability).

That's where I got mine. I also got a lot of things (in bulk) which sent
local chemists into a tizz - Spirits of salt, and various other
chemicals - potassium dichromate, oxalic acid, oh, and lots more.

You can go and get fuming spirits of salt from hardware shops - assuming
you go in wearing yer long trousis...

But that only seems to apply to the UK. An acquaintance in France who
like
growing Proteaceae has trouble with an very alkaline water supply. His
solution is to acidify it with dilute nitric acid, which he makes from
the
containers of umpteen litres of concentrated nitric acid he buys! Try
doing
that over here.

I don't think there'd be a problem if you bought it in bulk from a
distributer - just from a chemist. I had the devil's own job to persuade
a chemist he could sell me a fluid ounce of diethyl ether, so long as it
had the correct label. In the end he looked it up (so he could show me i
was wrong) and - oops!

Now if you were to ask for sulphuric acid as well as the nitric, and a
certain sugar derivative, you might find your collar being felt.

My local chemist who I have known for years won't sell me oxalic acid (which
I want to use for bleaching old linen and cotton fabrics) because it's no
longer permitted. It used to be, in the days when we were treated as
adults.

someone

Old 16-03-2009, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "someone" contains these words:

My local chemist who I have known for years won't sell me oxalic acid
(which
I want to use for bleaching old linen and cotton fabrics) because it's no
longer permitted. It used to be, in the days when we were treated as
adults.

I shall probably boil down rhubarb leaves and bleach the liquor - I want
it for removing iron stains from wood.

--
Rusty
Old 17-03-2009, 12:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote in message
news
Hi all

I know this is a recurring theme on this group - methods for repelling our
feline "friends".
Was wondering whether repeated chase-outs actually result in the offending
creature learning that a garden is a no-go-zone.
If so, what level of deterrent is necessary?
Simple chasing out at high speed whenever they are sighted
Chasing and soft missiles - e.g. wet mud
Catapult with hard missiles
Well directed water (I'm considering one of those high powered kids water
gun things ATM)

From what I've read in this group, the retail concoctions and electronic
gizmos aren't worth bothering with.
Hence the list of measures above.
Not interested in replies from cat lovers unless they solve the problem of
cats cr@pping in my veg patch.

As a cat owner I know all about getting rid of cats! My neighbour's cats
seem to think my garden is fair game.

The water pistol will work. After a while you only have to appear with it
and they run.
Hard missiles not recommended, as an injured cat can get you into a lot of
trouble. I discourage all cats from certain beds [I leave one specifically
for mine, in the hope that they will use their loo and not my neighbours
gardens] with a cat repellent containing citronella and something else.
Can't think of the name right now but I'm due to buy some more. I'll post
the name when I do.

Oh, and lion poo works. Apparently :-}

--
Kathy

It's pointless to try and discuss ethics with a spider.

Old 17-03-2009, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

I know this is a recurring theme on this group - methods for repelling our
feline "friends".
Was wondering whether repeated chase-outs actually result in the offending
creature learning that a garden is a no-go-zone.
If so, what level of deterrent is necessary?
Simple chasing out at high speed whenever they are sighted
Chasing and soft missiles - e.g. wet mud
Catapult with hard missiles
Well directed water (I'm considering one of those high powered kids water
gun things ATM)

From what I've read in this group, the retail concoctions and electronic
gizmos aren't worth bothering with.
Hence the list of measures above.
Not interested in replies from cat lovers unless they solve the problem of
cats cr@pping in my veg patch.

TIA

Phil

No brainer! Get a cat of your own, preferably female. It will crap in
someone else's patch; will defend its territory against other cats and
will kill off invading rabits, mice and rats etc. Plus damn good company
for U.

rjbl (ex-cat-"owner" - now with a garden overun with mice, moles, rats
and rabits)
Old 17-03-2009, 08:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
[...]

I think it has more to do with restricting chemicals which can be used for
homemade explosives.

mark

Old 17-03-2009, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 17, 9:26*am, Aries wrote:
On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 08:52:30 -0000, TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

I know this is a recurring theme on this group - methods for repelling our
feline "friends".
Was wondering whether repeated chase-outs actually result in the offending
creature learning that a garden is a no-go-zone.
If so, what level of deterrent is necessary?
Simple chasing out at high speed whenever they are sighted
Chasing and soft missiles - e.g. wet mud
Catapult with hard missiles
Well directed water (I'm considering one of those high powered kids water
gun things ATM)

From what I've read in this group, the retail concoctions and electronic
gizmos aren't worth bothering with.
Hence the list of measures above.
Not interested in replies from cat lovers unless they solve the problem of
cats cr@pping in my veg patch.

TIA

Phil

I don't know if this will help you at all but we have two cats and the only
way I've found to keep them off of my veg plot is to have raised beds for
which my hubby has made simple rectangular wooden frames covered in chicken
wire to fit each one which protects the seeds and growing seedlings. *As the
plants grow of course I can raise them up higher on brick and when there
isn't enough tempting soil to attract the cats I remove the frames.

Sounds a lot of trouble to go to but it isn't really, not if you want to
protect your plants. *These frames also protect my newly sown seeds from
squirrels and birds as before I had them either or both would scratch up the
seeds for a free feed at my expense !

There you go, Rusty,
Humans 1 Felines 0
Old 17-03-2009, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 17, 12:04*am, "Kathy" wrote:

As a cat owner I know all about getting rid of cats! *My neighbour's cats
seem to think my garden is fair game.

Now don't go and undo all my hard work - it has taken me months to
train my pussies to poo in your garden not mine!
Old 17-03-2009, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Aries wrote:
On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 08:52:30 -0000, TheScullster wrote:
I don't know if this will help you at all but we have two cats and
the only way I've found to keep them off of my veg plot is to have
raised beds for which my hubby has made simple rectangular wooden
frames covered in chicken wire to fit each one which protects the
seeds and growing seedlings. As the plants grow of course I can
raise them up higher on brick and when there isn't enough tempting
soil to attract the cats I remove the frames.

Sounds a lot of trouble to go to but it isn't really, not if you want
to protect your plants. These frames also protect my newly sown
seeds from squirrels and birds as before I had them either or both
would scratch up the seeds for a free feed at my expense !

At the risk of repeating myself... thank you saved

Old 17-03-2009, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
[...]

But were these sent to a business address or simply a personal home address?

You can go and get fuming spirits of salt from hardware shops - assuming
you go in wearing yer long trousis...

Oh yes - I was amazed when conc hydrochloric acid ("Spirits of salt")
reappeared after many years of absence, and absolutely dumbfounded when conc
sulphuric acid appeared as a drain unblocker. I expect this was an EC
ruling.

But that only seems to apply to the UK. An acquaintance in France who
like growing Proteaceae has trouble with an very alkaline water supply.
His solution is to acidify it with dilute nitric acid, which he makes
from the containers of umpteen litres of concentrated nitric acid he
buys! Try doing
that over here.

I don't think there'd be a problem if you bought it in bulk from a
distributer - just from a chemist. I had the devil's own job to persuade
a chemist he could sell me a fluid ounce of diethyl ether, so long as it
had the correct label. In the end he looked it up (so he could show me i
was wrong) and - oops!

Now if you were to ask for sulphuric acid as well as the nitric, and a
certain sugar derivative, you might find your collar being felt.

I doubt it, but if the delivery van parked on a double yellow line, the
judges black cap might come out!

--
Jeff

Old 17-03-2009, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:57:58 -0000, "Jeff Layman"

Oh yes - I was amazed when conc hydrochloric acid ("Spirits of salt")
reappeared after many years of absence, and absolutely dumbfounded when
conc sulphuric acid appeared as a drain unblocker. I expect this was an
EC ruling.

EU/1911225/af/en Directive for the unblocking of British drains using
imported premium lager that the locals refuse to drink.

LOL!

--
Jeff

Old 17-03-2009, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 11:08:53 -0000, "Jeff Layman"

wrote:

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:57:58 -0000, "Jeff Layman"

Oh yes - I was amazed when conc hydrochloric acid ("Spirits of salt")
reappeared after many years of absence, and absolutely dumbfounded when
conc sulphuric acid appeared as a drain unblocker. I expect this was
an
EC ruling.

EU/1911225/af/en Directive for the unblocking of British drains using
imported premium lager that the locals refuse to drink.

LOL!

The makers of a drain cleaner that reaches parts that others can't is
launching a cider named Charli in UK this summer.

http://www.brandrepublic.com/News/73...-Charli-cider/

but will it kill aphids too?

Surely the real test of drinkability is whether, when you put it in a slug
trap, the slugs happily climb in or give it a wide berth :-}

--
Kathy
Who uses cheap bitter in her slug traps.

Old 17-03-2009, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Aries wrote:
On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:52:42 -0000, Ophelia wrote:

At the risk of repeating myself... thank you saved

Welcome In fact if you're interested I've taken some pics to show
how we do ours
http://ariesval.110mb.com/Frames2/

I am indeed very interested, thank you

Old 17-03-2009, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Aries wrote:
On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:52:42 -0000, Ophelia wrote:

At the risk of repeating myself... thank you saved

Welcome In fact if you're interested I've taken some pics to show
how we do ours
http://ariesval.110mb.com/Frames2/

Have you seen the price of checken wire!?
--
Pete C
London UK

Get rid of cats! Charles Lawns 20 08-09-2005 08:26 PM
plz send message again 12/21 Wynand Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:16 AM
[IBC] Test Message Chriss Flagg Bonsai 0 19-04-2003 01:32 AM
Message To all Indians who are active in agriculture in any way. Avishai H. Kolatkar sci.agriculture 0 05-04-2003 12:32 PM
Test Message Tom Gardening 0 09-03-2003 08:32 PM