Old 28-04-2009, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomatoes

Heavens to Betsy! I've just been out in my 'greenhouse' which is just a
lean-to on the side of the house which has the washing machine & tumble
drier in, and my two Sungold tomato plants are already sporting their first
tiny lot of flower buds! And it's not even May! I really must put them in
their final big pots! My other varieties I planted as seed in paper pots in
March (germinated on a windowsill), have been potted on and are now
requiring to be in their big pots too..

So as and when my BBC DigIn seeds arrive (hahahahahahaha!) they'll
definitely be for next year. But it does show how late the DigIn seeds are
as regards planting in my neck of the woods (East Anglia).

Old 28-04-2009, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 28, 4:51*pm, "wafflycat"
wrote:
Heavens to Betsy! I've just been out in my 'greenhouse' which is just a
lean-to on the side of the house which has the washing machine & tumble
drier in, and my two Sungold tomato plants are already sporting their first
tiny lot of flower buds! And it's not even May! I really must put them in
their final big pots! My other varieties I planted as seed in paper pots in
March (germinated on a windowsill), have been potted on and are now
requiring to be in their big pots too..

So as and when my BBC DigIn seeds arrive (hahahahahahaha!) they'll
definitely be for next year. But it does show how late the DigIn seeds are
as regards planting in my neck of the woods (East Anglia).

I have flowers on my tomato plans in a plastic makeshift lean to.
(don't ask, my greenhouse was blown down). There are now in their
final pots. It's not too late to sow more seeds you know, in a little
heat they will catch up.

Judith
Old 28-04-2009, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message

I have flowers on my tomato plans in a plastic makeshift lean to.
(don't ask, my greenhouse was blown down). There are now in their
final pots. It's not too late to sow more seeds you know, in a little
heat they will catch up.

Judith

I really don't think I *need* any more plants this year. As my opinion of my
growing abilities with seeds was this: cr*p.. and yet Mother Nature could
still prove me so.. but I have loads of different varieties growing.. I've
already given some away to friends. So Mother Nature being kind to me, I
hope, I am not going to be short of tomatoes of various sizes, shapes and
colours this season.

Old 28-04-2009, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 28, 5:26*pm, "wafflycat"
wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...

I have flowers on my tomato plans in a plastic makeshift lean to.
(don't ask, my greenhouse was blown down). *There are now in their
final pots. *It's not too late to sow more seeds you know, in a little
heat they will catch up.

Judith

I really don't think I *need* any more plants this year. As my opinion of my
growing abilities with seeds was this: cr*p.. and yet Mother Nature could
still prove me so.. but I have loads of different varieties growing.. I've
already given some away to friends. *So Mother Nature being kind to me, I
hope, I am not going to be short of tomatoes of various sizes, shapes and
colours this season.

Oh good, then you will be making plenty of tomato chutney, my
favourite.

Judith
Old 28-04-2009, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message

I really don't think I *need* any more plants this year. As my opinion of
my
growing abilities with seeds was this: cr*p.. and yet Mother Nature could
still prove me so.. but I have loads of different varieties growing..
I've
already given some away to friends. So Mother Nature being kind to me, I
hope, I am not going to be short of tomatoes of various sizes, shapes and
colours this season.

Oh good, then you will be making plenty of tomato chutney, my
favourite.

Judith

LOL!

Last year I attempted to grow toms outside , using bought-in plants. It was
a grotty summer. I made green tomato chutney...

Old 29-04-2009, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , wafflycat
writes
Heavens to Betsy! I've just been out in my 'greenhouse' which is just a
lean-to on the side of the house which has the washing machine & tumble
drier in, and my two Sungold tomato plants are already sporting their
first tiny lot of flower buds! And it's not even May! I really must put
them in their final big pots! My other varieties I planted as seed in
paper pots in March (germinated on a windowsill), have been potted on
and are now requiring to be in their big pots too..

My three plants on the rear bedroom window ledge each have two lots of
buds, and are in their final pots.
I'm bottom watering, and applying Tomorite on top of the compost every 3
days or so.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 29-04-2009, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-04-28 16:51:19 +0100, "wafflycat"
said:

Heavens to Betsy! I've just been out in my 'greenhouse' which is just a
lean-to on the side of the house which has the washing machine & tumble
drier in, and my two Sungold tomato plants are already sporting their
first tiny lot of flower buds! And it's not even May! I really must put
them in their final big pots! My other varieties I planted as seed in
paper pots in March (germinated on a windowsill), have been potted on
and are now requiring to be in their big pots too..
snip

Yes, ours are flowering too, in a greenhouse - anticipation is rife!

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon