Old 09-05-2009, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gardeners World - Blue Peter

When did I miss the news release about them becoming the same programme ?

Old 09-05-2009, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
"BOFH" wrote:

When did I miss the news release about them becoming the same
programme ?

You didn't, because they never made it. I reckon they should
be prosecuted under the trades description act...

I'm the first to admit that there's a lot I don't know about
gardening, but I sure as hell amn't going to learn anything from this
programme! In fact I could give that sorry crew lessons. However, I
see Carol has had her dodgy crown fixed! Other than that, I learned
nothing, either last night or in previous weeks...

I'm sure Alys could teach me 'something'
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 09-05-2009, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"Anne Welsh Jackson" wrote in message
"BOFH" wrote:

When did I miss the news release about them becoming the same programme ?

You didn't, because they never made it. I reckon they should
be prosecuted under the trades description act...

I'm the first to admit that there's a lot I don't know about gardening,
but I sure as hell amn't going to learn anything from this programme!
In fact I could give that sorry crew lessons. However, I see Carol has
had her dodgy crown fixed! Other than that, I learned nothing, either
last night or in previous weeks...

--
AnneJ

Anne you will learn something next week because they are going to make
something every gardener wants. There will be instructions so you will need
two empty Yogurt cartons, a straw, an empty Kellogs Corn Flakes box but
cover up the word Kellogs, scissors but get those without points, a black
felt tip pen but mind where you put it and of course, .......... double
sided sticky tape.

Mike

Old 09-05-2009, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"BOFH" wrote in message
When did I miss the news release about them becoming the same programme ?

The Scottish gardening programme "Beechgrove Garden" is much better.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"wafflycat" wrote:

"BOFH" wrote in message
When did I miss the news release about them becoming the same programme
?

The Scottish gardening programme "Beechgrove Garden" is much better.

... which is why it's my gardening programme of choice.

--
AnneJ

Mine too - even though I'm in southern parts below the border. Thanks to Sky
990 I can view it

Old 09-05-2009, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wafflycat wrote:

Mine too - even though I'm in southern parts below the border. Thanks to
Sky 990 I can view it

Also available to view with BBC iPlayer for those without Sky.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff" wrote ...
wafflycat wrote:

Mine too - even though I'm in southern parts below the border. Thanks to
Sky 990 I can view it

Also available to view with BBC iPlayer for those without Sky.

Ah! Thank you Jeff.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 10-05-2009, 12:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , BOFH
wrote
When did I miss the news release about them becoming the same programme ?

It make s a refreshing change from assuming that everyone still
communicates in Latin. Even the so called gardening experts cannot agree
what plants are called in a language that 99.999% of the British public
cannot understand.

The programme truly reflects the poor regard that the professionals in
the gardening industry have for the general pubic.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 10-05-2009, 07:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff" wrote in message
wafflycat wrote:

Mine too - even though I'm in southern parts below the border. Thanks to
Sky 990 I can view it

Also available to view with BBC iPlayer for those without Sky.

Not always! There's been one episode of the current series omitted from
iPlayer :-(

Old 10-05-2009, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"Alan" wrote in message
In message , BOFH
wrote
When did I miss the news release about them becoming the same programme ?

It make s a refreshing change from assuming that everyone still
communicates in Latin. Even the so called gardening experts cannot agree
what plants are called in a language that 99.999% of the British public
cannot understand.

The programme truly reflects the poor regard that the professionals in
the gardening industry have for the general pubic.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Alan I have to agree with you on that one and it has 'annoyed' me for years
how they show off that they know the Latin name for even a common plant. A
Daisy is a Daisy and everyone from a four year old knows what we are talking
about. Why chuck in a Latin name, except to show off?

Mike

Old 10-05-2009, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-10 00:34:05 +0100, Alan said:

In message , BOFH
wrote
When did I miss the news release about them becoming the same programme ?

It make s a refreshing change from assuming that everyone still
communicates in Latin. Even the so called gardening experts cannot
agree what plants are called in a language that 99.999% of the British
public cannot understand.

The programme truly reflects the poor regard that the professionals in
the gardening industry have for the general pubic.

That's far too sweeping a statement. The 'professionals in the
gardening industry' have every regard for the public in this
establishment and so do the other professionals who post here.
We're properly aware that the public is our livelihood. But if
everyone here who has a complaint about Gardener's world writes to tell
the BBC just that, there might be changes. There certainly were after
so many people complained about the style of the coverage of Chelsea.
If your local garden centre of nursery is just a supermarket for
bog-standard plants where the staff know nothing about horticulture,
plant names or care, that's because you go on buying there and don't
protest or force change. And knowing the Latin names for plants means
that everyone *can* communicate. You can go to USA or Estonia and talk
about plants and everyone with any knowledge of them will know which
you're talking about.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 10-05-2009, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan" wrote in message

It make s a refreshing change from assuming that everyone still
communicates in Latin.

Sorry, I disagree with that point. The latin bits fine by me

Old 10-05-2009, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"wafflycat" wrote in message

The Scottish gardening programme "Beechgrove Garden" is much better.

I made the effort to watch this am. Not impre3ssed

Old 10-05-2009, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"BOFH" wrote in message
When did I miss the news release about them becoming the same programme ?

Friday Night Sky 248 the Gardening Channel. 'Recycled' old stuff, but it's
far better than 'Blue Peter goes Gardening'.

Last Friday night between 8 and 9 we were watching two episodes of Geoff
Hamilton's Cottage Gardens

Mike

Old 10-05-2009, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-10 11:20:08 +0100, "BOFH" said:

"Alan" wrote in message

It make s a refreshing change from assuming that everyone still
communicates in Latin.

Sorry, I disagree with that point. The latin bits fine by me

It's essential if you want to be sure you're getting the plant you
think you want. After that you can call it 'Fred' if you want to.