Old 16-05-2009, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How much to pay for someone to mow my lawn?

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Sat, 16 May 2009 14:38:00 +0100, hugh ] wrote:
In message , Gordon H
writes

Joking apart, I can remember when I attended an ICL programming course
in Windsor, back in the 70s, we were entitled to 1st Class train
travel, along with the brief cases and umbrellas.

Bloody hell. I went to Ealing on a System 4/70 engineering course in
1967 and we only got 2nd class. But then I was in manufacturing. You
were obviously sales.

I travelled by plane and underground to an IBM course near Lords
cricket ground in 1969.

You youngsters and your feather-bedding! I was given a list of the
instructions, a 3" roll of paper tape and told to work out what the
program was supposed to do and fix it to do it. Seriously.

It's quite mind-boggling, looking back on it :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-05-2009, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
wrote in message
In article ,
Martin wrote:
[...]

and how much does it cost for the computer to mow the lawn then?

Getting it back on thread of course

Mike

Old 16-05-2009, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
On Sat, 16 May 2009 17:38:55 +0100, June Hughes

wrote:

In message , Martin
writes
On Sat, 16 May 2009 16:53:42 +0100, June Hughes

wrote:

In message , Martin
writes
On Sat, 16 May 2009 14:38:00 +0100, hugh ] wrote:

In message , Gordon H
writes
In message , Martin
writes
On Sat, 16 May 2009 11:20:52 +0100, Gordon H
wrote:

In message , supercarl
writes

Hello,

What is the going rate for someone to mow a lawn?

(Front and back, fairly small as it is a new-ish property, on a
slope).
Cheers

I'll do it free, subject to travel expenses second home allowance and
utility bills.

and first class train pass, gift of large petrol engine powered
lawnmower,
extremely short working year and immunity from prosecution?

Joking apart, I can remember when I attended an ICL programming course
in Windsor, back in the 70s, we were entitled to 1st Class train
travel, along with the brief cases and umbrellas.
Bloody hell. I went to Ealing on a System 4/70 engineering course in
1967 and we only got 2nd class. But then I was in manufacturing. You
were obviously sales.

I travelled by plane and underground to an IBM course near Lords
cricket ground
in 1969.

I did that in 1969 on a course for Autocoder (IBM 1400 series computer).
Perhaps we were on the same course.

I did an OS 360 and IBM Assembler course in January or February1969

I think I stayed at the Clarendon
Hotel,

It's got a lot of recommendations on Trip Advisor if it is the same one.

which I am told is now a bed and breakfast hotel. I may be

Near Russell Square??

wrong. I can remember a girl who had been to Essex University and lived
in a flat in Chelsea because I went for a meal at her place. I can also
remember a girl from Hungary but that is all. However, it is a long
time ago.

I stayed in a hotel just around the corner a few minutes walk from where they
gave the courses.

The course was memorable for IBM losing all our punched cards.

I don't recall that happening. I can remember someone saying something
about being able to see into the cricket ground from the windows but
that is all.

They took all the packs of cards containing our work and sent them somewhere to
use as test data. Whoever received them binned them instead of returning them.
The instructors giving the courses had been given the same courses the week
before us. I wasn't very impressed with the instructors' knowledge.

I haven't done programming for many years but enjoyed the course at IBM.
I also enjoyed the job (Distington Engineering, Workington - part of the
then Steel Corporation). I remember being very impressed that my boss
did Fortran, which I didn't need because I wasn't the least bit
scientific. However, we did all the programming for the admin side of
the business and that was great fun. (Like playing Christmas carols on
the computer at Christmas using punched cards - a bit sad but that was
in the days of second generation computers and transistors etc).
--
June Hughes
Old 16-05-2009, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
o.uk...

Hello,

What is the going rate for someone to mow a lawn?

(Front and back, fairly small as it is a new-ish property, on a
slope).

Cheers

Here in S. Devon it's about £13 per hour, using his own equipment and
having to move lawn furniture, too!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

£10 per hour in Gloucestershire, whatever happened to Scouts and Bob-a-job
?

Wouldn't elf an safty have stopped that?

kate

Old 16-05-2009, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

supercarl wrote:

What is the going rate for someone to mow a lawn?
(Front and back, fairly small as it is a new-ish property, on aslope).

Typically £15.
It isnt worthwhile cutting grass by the hour, it is difficult to make a
living doing it, so the people who do it charge typically, £10-20 per
house.

I do a rented house's garden once a month or so, charge £25 for it, cut
the grass, remove rubbish from garden, put weedkiller around slabs, trim
hedge back if necessary. No weeding, just strimmer around the edges (no
borders, just grass or slabs).
Every time I go, I wonder why I bother, it just isnt worth the effort,
but I know the landlord, and he always pays up quickly. If I had 3 or 4
houses to do in the area, it would be alright, but just the one, not
worth it.
Alan.

Old 17-05-2009, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"moghouse" wrote in message
On May 16, 10:58 am, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
Hello,

£10 per hour in Gloucestershire, whatever happened to Scouts and Bob-a-job
?

Sky news announced that every man stood on his own was a paedophile

Old 17-05-2009, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

Martin wrote in
:
3" sheer luxury! Did you have to handcraft your own hole punch and
paper tape reader?

Long before that course, I was given somebody else's undocumented
Elliott 803 machine code programme and told to fix it.

Better 5 holes than 8 holes

It's mind boggling to think of how we did so much with such small
amounts of memory.

And that is a comforting thought as I approach my old age.

Old 24-05-2009, 06:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

supercarl wrote:
Hello,

What is the going rate for someone to mow a lawn?

(Front and back, fairly small as it is a new-ish property, on a
slope).

Cheers

In my village in Essex, there is a lady advertising to do gardening at
somewhere between 6 and 7 £/hour (I can't receall the exact amount).
There is some note about grass cutting using her electric mower. I don't
quite know if she means she will only use her mower, or she has an
electric one. I must admit, it's tempting to get her to do my lawn for
that amount, if she would use my petrol mower.
Old 24-05-2009, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 24, 6:51*am, Dave wrote:
supercarl wrote:
Hello,

What is the going rate for someone to mow a lawn?

(Front and back, fairly small as it is a new-ish property, on a
slope).

Cheers

In my village in Essex, there is a lady advertising to do gardening at
somewhere between 6 and 7 £/hour (I can't receall the exact amount).
There is some note about grass cutting using her electric mower. I don't
quite know if she means she will only use her mower, or she has an
electric one. I must admit, it's tempting to get her to do my lawn for
that amount, if she would use my petrol mower.

Can I book her now, please? I'm in Essex so she can't be far away! She
can use any mower she likes. I have an endless amount of weeding for
her.
Old 25-05-2009, 04:08 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Mike'[_4_] View Post
--
..
"TheOldFellow" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 16 May 2009 03:02:23 -0700 (PDT)
moghouse
wrote:

On May 16, 10:58 am, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
Hello,

What is the going rate for someone to mow a lawn?

(Front and back, fairly small as it is a new-ish property, on a
slope).

Cheers

Here in S. Devon it's about £13 per hour, using his own equipment and
having to move lawn furniture, too!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

£10 per hour in Gloucestershire, whatever happened to Scouts and
Bob-a-job ?

Oh what nice young men! Will you really mow my lawns for 5p?

Bob was fired. In 1971 I think, and they hired Ten-Pee instead. Then
we had inflation.

In the mean time all the Boy Scouts (who understood lawnmowers at the
time, but now probably don't as you can't play video games on them)
decided to become Hoodies instead, and the Scouts was taken over by
Girls (who didn't understand lawnmowers at the time, but probably do
now in this enlightened era of equality).

I think they scrapped Bob-a-job week too.

R.

Bob a job was scrapped ages ago because of abuse. Not sexual abuse but abuse
of the title 'Bob a Job', Scouts and Cubs were doing quite arduous jobs,
like mowing lawns and taking the morning to do it, and being given 'A bob'.

Mike
The risk of sexal abuse was just being recognised at the time and door to door schemes were being dropped. Group schemes were set up instead, e.g. car cleaning where everyone worked as a group under supeervision.
Bigal

Anyone tried "No Mow" or "Eco-Lawn" grass seed, for low maintenance lawn? DK[_2_] Gardening 0 21-06-2007 06:04 PM
Mow, mow, mow Srgnt Billko Lawns 3 19-05-2007 04:10 AM
No mow lawn [email protected] Gardening 1 10-05-2006 10:38 PM
What is needed to mow 1 1/2 acre lawn? Craig Davis Lawns 7 11-10-2005 01:06 PM
To mow or not to mow snafu Gardening 9 26-09-2004 01:05 PM