Old 10-07-2009, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Oh Dear :-(

"BAC" wrote in message

"Ragnar" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
o.uk...
I settled down to watch Hampton Court Flower Show tonight and fell
asleep in the middle, did I miss much ?

I don't know, because I switched it off. Gardening on the television's
about on a par with a slug in a lettuce as far as I'm concerned.

I date the decline from the departure of Monty Don. I know a lot of
people don't like him but Gardener's World was terrific when he was
fronting it.

Monty's show was very much better (than the current 'matey', dumbed down,
load of ********), IMO. I just can't bring myself to watch it. On a par
with Titchbrain and Dimmo's Ground Force, real 'foot through the screen'
material.

Bring back Percy Thrower, I say :-)

It's all of a piece with the BBC's attitude to program making now.
Gardening programs for people who don't like gardening, classical music
programes interrupted by mindless blather (to suit viewers with an attention
span of approx 5 seconds), cookery programs for people who don't like
cooking (e.g. Masterchef), pulp science fiction for people who don't like
science (e.g. Horizon). These days it is far more important to entertain
than to instruct.

Rant over

Old 10-07-2009, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" wrote
"Kate Morgan" wrote k...
I settled down to watch Hampton Court Flower Show tonight and fell
asleep in the middle, did I miss much ?

I recorded it so will watch it later, tomorrow or so. [...]

Last night's was the first one I'd managed to catch and I felt rather
disappointed. The best parts were about the Beekeeper's Garden (just
lovely and what a well-done mosaic), the old rose species, some pieces
about a few of the other show gardens, and whenever they fitted in the
odd clips about new or newish varieties of plants (I wish there'd been
more and Carol K doing the presenting).

Whatever was all that pizza-making with Matthew Wilson and the
irritating Rachel for? That seems like a waste of screen time to me. If
it was because they had to be undercover to record as there seemed to be
a heavy shower going on outside at the time, it would have been more
interesting to have shown some pre-recorded session about new plant
varieties and the nurseries who raised them.

I don't mind Joe Swift when he's enthusing about design or planting but
could do without all the knockabout, 'innit all a laff guv' nonsense.
Yes gardening can be fun, but that just *grates* on me.

To be honest I don't mind any of them but that isn't the same as liking
them. I certainly don't find Rachael irritating, she's better looking in
real life BTW. :-)
It's some of the things they have to present that get me annoyed.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 10-07-2009, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Kate
Morgan writes
I settled down to watch Hampton Court Flower Show tonight and fell
asleep in the middle, did I miss much ?

kate

The 2nd half?
--
hugh

Old 10-07-2009, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 10, 2:41*pm, "Ragnar" wrote:

Rant over-

Oh no it isn't! My complaint is that the one thing that is LACKING
from television programmes IS entertainment.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 July, 14:41, "Ragnar" wrote:
"BAC" wrote in message

It's all of a piece with the BBC's attitude to program making now.
Gardening programs for people who don't like gardening, classical music
programes interrupted by mindless blather (to suit viewers with an attention
span of approx 5 seconds), cookery programs for people who don't like
cooking (e.g. Masterchef), pulp science fiction for people who don't like
science (e.g. Horizon). These days it is far more important to entertain
than to instruct.

A lot to do with the fact that TV execs tend to be young and arrogant
and believe that those who watch TV are morons or deserve to be
treated as such. So "we'll give them as much reality TV, soaps and
repeats we can broadcast and the masses will be happy,"

Old 10-07-2009, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Frank Booth Snr" wrote in message
On 10 July, 14:41, "Ragnar" wrote:
"BAC" wrote in message

It's all of a piece with the BBC's attitude to program making now.
Gardening programs for people who don't like gardening, classical music
programes interrupted by mindless blather (to suit viewers with an
attention
span of approx 5 seconds), cookery programs for people who don't like
cooking (e.g. Masterchef), pulp science fiction for people who don't like
science (e.g. Horizon). These days it is far more important to entertain
than to instruct.

A lot to do with the fact that TV execs tend to be young and arrogant
and believe that those who watch TV are morons or deserve to be
treated as such. So "we'll give them as much reality TV, soaps and
repeats we can broadcast and the masses will be happy,"

Have you seen the rescheduling of the soaps? Even Corrie Street is being
moved!!

""Thursday Nite is Soaps Nite" :-(((((((

This newsgroup will be quiet!

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk

Old 13-07-2009, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 July, 14:41, "Ragnar" wrote:
"BAC" wrote in message

[...]

Corrie isn't a soap, it's a documentary.

mark

Old 13-07-2009, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

On 10 July, 14:41, "Ragnar" wrote:
"BAC" wrote in message

[...]

and there isn't a clique on this newsgroup.

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk

Old 13-07-2009, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

Corrie isn't a soap, it's a documentary.

LOL nice one, mark You have been listening to Enzo I can see)

Old 13-07-2009, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Oh Dear :-( now OT

In message
,
Frank Booth Snr writes
On 10 July, 14:41, "Ragnar" wrote:
"BAC" wrote in message

It's all of a piece with the BBC's attitude to program making now.
Gardening programs for people who don't like gardening, classical music
programes interrupted by mindless blather (to suit viewers with an attention
span of approx 5 seconds), cookery programs for people who don't like
cooking (e.g. Masterchef), pulp science fiction for people who don't like
science (e.g. Horizon). These days it is far more important to entertain
than to instruct.

A lot to do with the fact that TV execs tend to be young and arrogant
and believe that those who watch TV are morons or deserve to be
treated as such. So "we'll give them as much reality TV, soaps and
repeats we can broadcast and the masses will be happy,"

I used to watch Coronation Street and East Enders regularly but haven't
bothered for about 7 years. On the rare occasions I have been subjected
to them, they are not as good as they used to be, the scriptwriting has
deteriorated and they are now boring. The Archers, I have managed to
stay with but even that is irritating at times. However, as it only
lasts 15 minutes the boredom factor doesn't have time to set in before
deciding to switch off the radio and you don't have to sit glued a
screen like a moron.

If you are lonely, then I suppose these things fill a gap but each to
his own. If people want to waste their lives watching tripe, they are
the ones paying their licence fee, so let them get on with it.

Of course, the answer lies that little on-off switch. Works wonders for
getting a life
--
June Hughes

Old 13-07-2009, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"June Hughes" wrote in message

Of course, the answer lies that little on-off switch. Works wonders for
getting a life
--
June Hughes

I am afraid that there are many people who do not know what this little
switch is for.

How many readers admit to switching the TV on in the morning and it stays on
all day and only goes off at bedtime?

Yes there are households like that AND have two/three TVs in other rooms. I
have seen them.

(Rather like people who do not know how to snip previous postings)

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk

Old 13-07-2009, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

June Hughes wrote:

I used to watch Coronation Street and East Enders regularly but haven't
bothered for about 7 years.

My wife used to be an avid follower of Coronation Street but stopped
watching it many years ago when the story lines started getting more and
more outrageous to compete with similarly over the top scripts on the
other soaps. Has Ken Barlow been kidnapped by aliens yet?

We watch very little TV nowadays; not much of interest or what we would
call "entertainment". News and the occasional film and gardening program.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 13-07-2009, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David in Normandy
writes
June Hughes wrote:

I used to watch Coronation Street and East Enders regularly but
haven't bothered for about 7 years.

My wife used to be an avid follower of Coronation Street but stopped
watching it many years ago when the story lines started getting more
and more outrageous to compete with similarly over the top scripts on
the other soaps. Has Ken Barlow been kidnapped by aliens yet?

We watch very little TV nowadays; not much of interest or what we would
call "entertainment". News and the occasional film and gardening
program.

The Proms are good, along with some documentaries, and Barry watches
sport incessantly, although Sky TV have just announced that they are
going to charge extra for channels such as Dave, etc. As I don't watch
Sky, I couldn't care less but Bas expressed annoyance and I don't blame
him.
--
June Hughes

Old 13-07-2009, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 13, 11:46*am, David in Normandy
wrote:
June Hughes wrote:
I used to watch Coronation Street and East Enders regularly but haven't
bothered for about 7 years.

My wife used to be an avid follower of Coronation Street but stopped
watching it many years ago when the story lines started getting more and
more outrageous to compete with similarly over the top scripts on the
other soaps. Has Ken Barlow been kidnapped by aliens yet?

We watch very little TV nowadays; not much of interest or what we would
call "entertainment". News and the occasional film and gardening program.

--
David in Normandy. *
* *To e-mail you must include the password FROG on the
* *subject line, or it will be automatically deleted
* *by a filter and not reach my inbox.

I like Eastenders, it is my moment of light entertainment, rather like
fictional books. Alas, rarely, do I have time to sit and look at a
lot of telly, I have to remind myself if there is a prog I want to
see. I suppose usenet has taken over a lot of what the t.v. does,
look at how many people post every day and sometimes all day!!!!!!
Now I have to Google a recipe, so that's my usenet fix until tonight,
maybe :-)

Judith
Old 13-07-2009, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-13 11:46:05 +0100, David in Normandy
said:

June Hughes wrote:

I used to watch Coronation Street and East Enders regularly but haven't
bothered for about 7 years.

My wife used to be an avid follower of Coronation Street but stopped
watching it many years ago when the story lines started getting more
and more outrageous to compete with similarly over the top scripts on
the other soaps. Has Ken Barlow been kidnapped by aliens yet?

We watch very little TV nowadays; not much of interest or what we would
call "entertainment". News and the occasional film and gardening
program.

We enjoy Ladies of Letters, Doc Martin, New Tricks (a do-not-miss for
us) Hope Springs, House (occasionally) University Challenge, Waking the
Dead, Wycliffe and little else. We're looking forward to next Sunday's
new series of All The Queen's Horses hosted by A. Titchmarsh. I find
those behind the scenes type programmes fascinating and still remember
enjoying the series on the Royal Opera House many years ago. We
sometimes watch the re-runs of e.g. Last of the Summer Wine and series
of that sort but it does very mildly irritate us that we've already
paid to watch them once!
We didn't bother to watch any more of the Hampton Court Flower Show,
I'm afraid - couldn't really see the point.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com