Old 13-07-2009, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Oh Dear :-( now OT

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-07-13 11:46:05 +0100, David in Normandy
said:

June Hughes wrote:

I used to watch Coronation Street and East Enders regularly but
haven't bothered for about 7 years.

My wife used to be an avid follower of Coronation Street but stopped
watching it many years ago when the story lines started getting more
and more outrageous to compete with similarly over the top scripts on
the other soaps. Has Ken Barlow been kidnapped by aliens yet?
We watch very little TV nowadays; not much of interest or what we
would call "entertainment". News and the occasional film and
gardening program.

We enjoy Ladies of Letters, Doc Martin, New Tricks (a do-not-miss for
us) Hope Springs, House (occasionally) University Challenge, Waking the
Dead, Wycliffe and little else. We're looking forward to next Sunday's
new series of All The Queen's Horses hosted by A. Titchmarsh. I find
those behind the scenes type programmes fascinating and still remember
enjoying the series on the Royal Opera House many years ago. We
sometimes watch the re-runs of e.g. Last of the Summer Wine and series
of that sort but it does very mildly irritate us that we've already
paid to watch them once!
We didn't bother to watch any more of the Hampton Court Flower Show,
I'm afraid - couldn't really see the point.

New Tricks, University Challenge, QI, The Proms, Reading Festival (when
it is on next month), newsnight and the men like the dreaded Top Gear,
which I hate. I have to admit to enjoying Cranford but only by
purchasing the DVD after the event. I also like Geoffrey Hamilton but
that is also a DVD. (Well, it would be, wouldn't it). The Lucia series
but yet again I didn't see it when it was on TV but bought the videos
then the DVDs when they came out. I wouldn't dream of turning on the TV
first thing in the morning except in an emergency (such as 7/7, when I
couldn't get to work and wanted to know why). I am a sad old bat.
--
June Hughes
Old 13-07-2009, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , June Hughes
writes

University Challenge, QI,

Yes and yes

the men like the dreaded Top Gear, which I hate.

You have to watch it as slapstick comedy, and it can be hilarious, even
if you're only laughing AT the three boys.
They interact like most lads do, at least that's how my mates did,
exposing each other's idiosyncrasies and flaws.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 13-07-2009, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-13 13:06:00 +0100, June Hughes

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-07-13 11:46:05 +0100, David in Normandy
said:

June Hughes wrote:

[...]

I loved Mapp & Lucia, saw it first time around and watched it again on
DVD, then re-read the books, just for good measure. My men like Top
Gear but it makes cringe, though I do find Jeremy Clarkson's books
funny. But their behaviour on tv is just too much of the overgrown
schoolboy having fun and us paying for it. Loved Cranford and always
enjoy the Jane Austen adaptations.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-07-2009, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-13 11:46:05 +0100, David in Normandy
said:

June Hughes wrote:

[...]

I love Doc Martin but have missed a bit of it. I like a few of those
you mention but again, there's not much continuity if I forget when
they are on:-). Now I'm off to swim, the courgette and carrot soup is
made and the Ratouille is simmering nicely. Time for a swim, walk
Lottie, swim again as the heat is overpowering. When I say swim, I
mean walk around the shallow end until cool; then do a couple of very
slow lengths, well, mustn't get hot again, innit.

Judith
Old 13-07-2009, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes

I loved Mapp & Lucia, saw it first time around and watched it again on
DVD, then re-read the books, just for good measure. My men like Top
Gear but it makes cringe, though I do find Jeremy Clarkson's books
funny. But their behaviour on tv is just too much of the overgrown
schoolboy having fun and us paying for it. Loved Cranford and always
enjoy the Jane Austen adaptations.

Lucia is such an arch snob but I like her for all that. A very dear
friend lives near Rye, where many of the stories are set, and I love
going there. I had forgotten about the Jane Austin series' (can't
think of the plural of series atm). I rather like period drama but
after watching the Cranford DVD, I read Mrs Gaskell's book and was
surprised to find several characters and stories that were on the DVD
but not in the book.
--
June Hughes

Old 13-07-2009, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-13 16:21:59 +0100, June Hughes
said:

In message , Sacha
writes

I loved Mapp & Lucia, saw it first time around and watched it again on
DVD, then re-read the books, just for good measure. My men like Top
Gear but it makes cringe, though I do find Jeremy Clarkson's books
funny. But their behaviour on tv is just too much of the overgrown
schoolboy having fun and us paying for it. Loved Cranford and always
enjoy the Jane Austen adaptations.

Lucia is such an arch snob but I like her for all that. A very dear
friend lives near Rye, where many of the stories are set, and I love
going there. I had forgotten about the Jane Austin series' (can't
think of the plural of series atm). I rather like period drama but
after watching the Cranford DVD, I read Mrs Gaskell's book and was
surprised to find several characters and stories that were on the DVD
but not in the book.

If Lucia wasn't like that with her "un po di musica" etc. it would lose
half its fun, IMO. She was the Mrs Buckett of her time but more finely
drawn. It's their pretensions that make them both so funny and so
endearing.

Old 13-07-2009, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message
, Frank
Booth Snr writes
On 10 July, 14:41, "Ragnar" wrote:
"BAC" wrote in message

It's all of a piece with the BBC's attitude to program making now.
Gardening programs for people who don't like gardening, classical music
programes interrupted by mindless blather (to suit viewers with an
attention
span of approx 5 seconds), cookery programs for people who don't like
cooking (e.g. Masterchef), pulp science fiction for people who don't
like
science (e.g. Horizon). These days it is far more important to
entertain
than to instruct.

A lot to do with the fact that TV execs tend to be young and arrogant
and believe that those who watch TV are morons or deserve to be
treated as such. So "we'll give them as much reality TV, soaps and
repeats we can broadcast and the masses will be happy,"

I used to watch Coronation Street and East Enders regularly but haven't
bothered for about 7 years. On the rare occasions I have been subjected
to them, they are not as good as they used to be, the scriptwriting has
deteriorated and they are now boring. The Archers, I have managed to stay
with but even that is irritating at times. However, as it only lasts 15
minutes the boredom factor doesn't have time to set in before deciding to
switch off the radio and you don't have to sit glued a screen like a
moron.

If you are lonely, then I suppose these things fill a gap but each to his
own. If people want to waste their lives watching tripe, they are the ones
paying their licence fee, so let them get on with it.

Of course, the answer lies that little on-off switch. Works wonders for
getting a life

I now always record these programmes, on a digital recorder, works wonders.
I can increase the speed the programme is being played back and really fast
forward the adverts.

Old 13-07-2009, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-07-13 16:21:59 +0100, June Hughes
said:

In message , Sacha
writes
[...]

Yes indeed. I have just returned from a meeting and am supposed to be
watching a DVD Barry bought called Black Books, which is the whole
series by that name. I had never heard of it before but Barry thinks it
is terrific and has watched episode one. He's expecting me to watch it
whilst he is out this evening so that we can watch the rest of the
series together. I feel like putting Lucia on now, so when he asks
whether or not I have watched Black Books, I shall blame you
--
June Hughes
Old 13-07-2009, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , alan.holmes
writes

On 10 July, 14:41, "Ragnar" wrote:
"BAC" wrote in message

[...]

I don't think we have one of those, Alan.
--
June Hughes
Old 13-07-2009, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , alan.holmes
writes

I now always record these programmes, on a digital recorder, works wonders.
I can increase the speed the programme is being played back and really fast
forward the adverts.

I do that with quite a few programmes, especially sports programmes
where the talking heads take up too high a proportion of the time.
Currently using the method to watch Tour de France.

Lance Armstrong is reasonably well placed after the first week, though
not leading. He may make an effort in the tough mountain stages
soon to come, if he still has the legs for it.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 13-07-2009, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , alan.holmes
writes

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message
,
Frank
Booth Snr writes
On 10 July, 14:41, "Ragnar" wrote:
"BAC" wrote in message

[...]

You must get one, you will have to at the changover anyway, that is if you
want to record programmes, if you do not then dont bother, mine are
Panasonic and they are absolutely brilliant.

Alan

--
June Hughes

Old 13-07-2009, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-13 20:29:29 +0100, June Hughes

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-07-13 16:21:59 +0100, June Hughes
said:

In message , Sacha
writes
[...]

Aaaagh. Black Books? Sorry! All I know is the expression "you're in
my black book" and where on earth did *that* come from other than my
grandmother.

Old 13-07-2009, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Hi June

I'm perplexed by your post above. Firstly you write with assumed authority
on the qualities of Corrie and Eastenders yet have rarely watched either for
7 years.

As a Corrie watcher (only Corrie btw) I hadn't realised it was tripe and
that I was lonely and wasting my life. This really has been a wake up call
for me and other mindless Corrie watchers, no doubt.

I'd better get a life as you suggest.

I know! I'll have you as my role model. Genius!

Let's see, just taking today, you've been chipping in on this thread pretty
much in every hour of the day and I notice other threads are liberally
sprinkled with your comments.
Who could forget your exciting and memorable post of a fews days ago:
'Potato Update'.
Guess you haven't found 'that little on-off switch' on your PC.

I too want to be living life in the fast lane like yourself.

The last time someone asked me to explain irony to them, I hit them in the
face with a bottle of Johnson's 'No More Tears'.

mark :-)

Old 13-07-2009, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-07-13 20:29:29 +0100, June Hughes

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-07-13 16:21:59 +0100, June Hughes
said:

In message , Sacha
writes
[...]

It was in 2000. I was supposed to watch one episode and ended up
watching three, so I shall watch the two extra ones again with Barry.
It is rather a bizarre series, not unlike Fawlty Towers, and I enjoyed
it immensely. The only thing that puzzles me is why my attention was
not drawn to it in 2000.
--
June Hughes

Old 13-07-2009, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-13 20:29:29 +0100, June Hughes

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-07-13 16:21:59 +0100, June Hughes
said:

In message , Sacha
writes
[...]

It's apparently predates your grandmother:

As a consequence of your actions you offend someone and thus are "listed in
their black book."

From the 1300's - a collection of maritime laws and conduct that became
known as the Black Book of the Admiralty. The punishments for offences was
harsh, to say the least. Drowning, starvation, and marooning were
punishments for serious offences such as repeatedly sleeping on watch.

mark