Old 14-07-2009, 06:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Oh Dear :-( now OT

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-07-13 20:29:29 +0100, June Hughes

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-07-13 16:21:59 +0100, June Hughes
said:

In message , Sacha
writes
I loved Mapp & Lucia, saw it first time around and watched it
again on DVD, then re-read the books, just for good measure. My
men like Top Gear but it makes cringe, though I do find Jeremy
Clarkson's books funny. But their behaviour on tv is just too
much of the overgrown schoolboy having fun and us paying for it.
Loved Cranford and always enjoy the Jane Austen adaptations.
Lucia is such an arch snob but I like her for all that. A very
dear friend lives near Rye, where many of the stories are set, and I
going there. I had forgotten about the Jane Austin series' (can't
think of the plural of series atm). I rather like period drama but
watching the Cranford DVD, I read Mrs Gaskell's book and was
surprised to find several characters and stories that were on the
DVD but not in the book.
If Lucia wasn't like that with her "un po di musica" etc. it would
lose half its fun, IMO. She was the Mrs Buckett of her time but more
finely drawn. It's their pretensions that make them both so funny and
so endearing.

Yes indeed. I have just returned from a meeting and am supposed to
be watching a DVD Barry bought called Black Books, which is the whole
series by that name. I had never heard of it before but Barry thinks
it is terrific and has watched episode one. He's expecting me to
watch it whilst he is out this evening so that we can watch the rest
of the series together. I feel like putting Lucia on now, so when he
asks whether or not I have watched Black Books, I shall blame you

Aaaagh. Black Books? Sorry! All I know is the expression "you're in
my black book" and where on earth did *that* come from other than my
grandmother.

I forgot to say - it's actually about a book shop and the comedy is
black. Nothing to do with being in someone's 'black books'.
--
June Hughes
Old 14-07-2009, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , mark
writes

As a Corrie watcher (only Corrie btw) I hadn't realised it was tripe and
that I was lonely and wasting my life. This really has been a wake up call
for me and other mindless Corrie watchers, no doubt.

Corrie is rubbish. There hasn't been any stuff about gardening since
Jack had the allotment, and that's the last time I saw any of it.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 14-07-2009, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 14, 11:52*am, Gordon H
wrote:
In message , mark
writes

As a Corrie watcher (only Corrie btw) I hadn't realised it was tripe and
that I was lonely and wasting my life. *This really has been a wake up call
for me and other mindless Corrie watchers, no doubt.

Corrie is rubbish. * *There hasn't been any stuff about gardening since
Jack had the allotment, and that's the last time I saw any of it.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

In your opinion Gordon, please show respect for another poster's views.
Old 14-07-2009, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Gordon H
writes
In message , mark
writes

As a Corrie watcher (only Corrie btw) I hadn't realised it was tripe and
that I was lonely and wasting my life. This really has been a wake up call
for me and other mindless Corrie watchers, no doubt.

Corrie is rubbish. There hasn't been any stuff about gardening since
Jack had the allotment, and that's the last time I saw any of it.

I thought the person posting was a troll, so killed it off. Possibly
wrong but as it didn't contribute anything about gardening, I don't
think I've missed much and wasn't far off the mark.
--
June Hughes
Old 14-07-2009, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Gordon H
writes
In message , mark
writes

As a Corrie watcher (only Corrie btw) I hadn't realised it was tripe and
that I was lonely and wasting my life. This really has been a wake up
call
for me and other mindless Corrie watchers, no doubt.

Corrie is rubbish. There hasn't been any stuff about gardening since
Jack had the allotment, and that's the last time I saw any of it.

I thought the person posting was a troll, so killed it off. Possibly
wrong but as it didn't contribute anything about gardening, I don't think
I've missed much and wasn't far off the mark.
--
June Hughes

Are you an accountant?

mark

Old 15-07-2009, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Jul 14, 11:52 am, Gordon H
wrote:
In message , mark
writes

As a Corrie watcher (only Corrie btw) I hadn't realised it was tripe and
that I was lonely and wasting my life. This really has been a wake up
call
for me and other mindless Corrie watchers, no doubt.

Corrie is rubbish. There hasn't been any stuff about gardening since
Jack had the allotment, and that's the last time I saw any of it.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

In your opinion Gordon, please show respect for another poster's views.

Relax, Judith, I think Gordon was merely attempting 'dead pan' humour in a
similar vein to Mark.

Being someone who no longer watches Coronation Street, Gordon isn't all that
well placed to condemn it as rubbish, true. But, to be fair, being someone
who watches only Coronation Street, and therefore has nothing to compare it
with, Mark isn't all that well placed to decide whether it is tripe, either.

Old 15-07-2009, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 15, 9:46*am, "BAC" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...
On Jul 14, 11:52 am, Gordon H
wrote:

[...]

Right, when is it on, tonight? so I will watch it and give an opinion
tomorrow LOL.

Judith
Old 15-07-2009, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , mark
writes

As a Corrie watcher (only Corrie btw) I hadn't realised it was tripe and
that I was lonely and wasting my life. This really has been a wake up
call
for me and other mindless Corrie watchers, no doubt.

Corrie is rubbish. There hasn't been any stuff about gardening since
Jack had the allotment, and that's the last time I saw any of it.
--

I think allotments would make for a good story line. With the recent surge
in popularity particularly among the twenty and thirty something age group,

mark

* Is trendy a trendy word?

Old 15-07-2009, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Jul 15, 9:46 am, "BAC" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in
On Jul 14, 11:52 am, Gordon H
wrote:

[...]

Well Judith, you are warned that there is a very libidinous undercurrent
going on in Corrie at the moment. No one is actually 'at it' so to speak
but through want of trying.
Also you can't just watch one episode to get a feel for it. Two more
episodes on Friday!

mark

Old 15-07-2009, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Jul 15, 9:46 am, "BAC" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in
On Jul 14, 11:52 am, Gordon H
wrote:

[...]

oops!
I missed out a 'not'

Old 15-07-2009, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 15, 11:09*am, "mark" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...
On Jul 15, 9:46 am, "BAC" wrote:

"Judith in France" wrote in
On Jul 14, 11:52 am, Gordon H
wrote:

[...]

Oh Lor, I won't be able to on Friday we are going out to dinner. I
used to watch it but my life changed and now evenings are spent
relaxing outside or with friends. I will watch tonight; watch this
space.

Judith
Old 15-07-2009, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , BAC
writes

wrote:
In message , mark
writes

As a Corrie watcher (only Corrie btw) I hadn't realised it was tripe and
that I was lonely and wasting my life. This really has been a wake up
call
for me and other mindless Corrie watchers, no doubt.

Corrie is rubbish. There hasn't been any stuff about gardening since
Jack had the allotment, and that's the last time I saw any of it.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

In your opinion Gordon, please show respect for another poster's views.

Your .sig separator isn't working.

I merely stated my *own* opinion, does that disrespect another poster's
opinion? It is only about a TV soap. :-)

Relax, Judith, I think Gordon was merely attempting 'dead pan' humour in a
similar vein to Mark.

I didn't read any post from Judith, but of course I felt free to use
humour in an off-topic thread. The reference to Jack's allotment...
If you have to explain it to people, it's no good. :-)

Being someone who no longer watches Coronation Street, Gordon isn't all that
well placed to condemn it as rubbish, true. But, to be fair, being someone
who watches only Coronation Street, and therefore has nothing to compare it
with, Mark isn't all that well placed to decide whether it is tripe, either.

I have a lady friend who watches it avidly, so I see snatches
occasionally.
I used to watch it when my wife was alive, so that's nearly 14 years
ago, and there used to be much more humour in it, as far as I recall.
We also watched Emmerdale Farm, when it was about farming, but then the
other soaps came up with all the outlandish plots, so we had the
aircraft crash in Emmerdale, and all the rapes and murders in Brookside
etc.

OOOPS! QI is on, and it's one I haven't seen!

Ta ta for now.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 15-07-2009, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gordon H wrote:
OOOPS! QI is on, and it's one I haven't seen!

Now *there's* a TV show worth watching.
If I had green thumbs, they'd both be up to you.
Old 15-07-2009, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
EastneyEnder writes
Gordon H wrote:
OOOPS! QI is on, and it's one I haven't seen!

Now *there's* a TV show worth watching.
If I had green thumbs, they'd both be up to you.

I bought an audio CD called The Sound Of General Ignorance, which is
based on the "fact or myth" content of QI.
It comes in handy if I wake up at 4am...

Some of the assertions made on the programme are slightly dubious,
though. Did Edison invent the light bulb, or was he the man who could
afford to take out the patent on a device very similar to that invented
by a Brit? I'll have to listen again to find out his name.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 16-07-2009, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message
,
EastneyEnder writes
Gordon H wrote:
OOOPS! QI is on, and it's one I haven't seen!

Now *there's* a TV show worth watching.
If I had green thumbs, they'd both be up to you.

I bought an audio CD called The Sound Of General Ignorance, which is based
on the "fact or myth" content of QI.
It comes in handy if I wake up at 4am...

Some of the assertions made on the programme are slightly dubious, though.
Did Edison invent the light bulb, or was he the man who could afford to
take out the patent on a device very similar to that invented by a Brit?
I'll have to listen again to find out his name.
--

Joseph Swan.

mark