Old 21-07-2009, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Now really OT! Sacha's tearoom

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 15:02:51 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

Martin wrote:
http://www.helmsleywalledgarden.org.uk/

Thank you saved

Chat with the head gardener he is a mine of info, I'm amazed he
doesn't post here.

Can you share his name here?

I would if I knew his name )

His name could be Norman Potter. Only male gardener named on their
website. Martin

Ahh sorry, I thought you said he was your friend

Old 21-07-2009, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 15:02:06 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

Martin wrote:
We even had a disastrous meal in "Yorkshire's Best Fish
restaurant"
Did you??

We really did. Cold greasy chips and soggy battered fish for £2 more
than elsewhere.

Ugh! Did you complain?

The chips went back and were returned hot but still soggy.

I can't think which one that is.

It occurs to me that you are in Yorkshire such a lot, it might be
nice if we all met up for a drink or coffee It would need to be
evening or weekend because David works. Anyway, my email is good

It would need to be in autumn, if P&O's North Sea Ferries haven't
gone bust by then. Previous recessions didn't seem to effect them.
ATM they are losing £500,000 a week on the Hull routes because of
lack of freight. One of the ferries appears to have almost no
European staff. The Asian who makes the announcements can't
pronounce "Hull". Martin

Oh dear Well I don't know where we will be in the Autumn.. but who
knows Son is wanting to visit his sister in Germany for a
holiday, but he says the ferry prices are extortionate just now.
School holidays I expect.

We buy a season ticket you get five returns at the cheap low season
rate. Martin

Excellent if you do that journey a lot! Son goes over a couple of times a
year though.

Old 21-07-2009, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

wrote:

Martin wrote:
[...]

It's cheaper to go five times )
You can use one of the tickets for close family members and the return in
either direction. Which is how we ended up buying a season ticket instead
of two
peak period returns.
--

Martin

One hell of a lot not snipped, but ......

where is the gardening content here?

Perhaps you would like to take this to email, or are you one of the 'chosen
few'? :-((

Kindest possible regards.

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 21-07-2009, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-21 17:15:34 +0100, Martin said:

snip

It's cheaper to go five times )
You can use one of the tickets for close family members and the return in
either direction. Which is how we ended up buying a season ticket
instead of two
peak period returns.

I wish they'd do this on the ferries to the CIs. ;-(
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 21-07-2009, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-21 17:15:34 +0100, Martin said:

snip

It's cheaper to go five times )
You can use one of the tickets for close family members and the return
in
either direction. Which is how we ended up buying a season ticket instead
of two
peak period returns.

I wish they'd do this on the ferries to the CIs. ;-(
--
Sacha

Gardening content? NIL :-((

Excused are we? Why?

Kindest POSSIBLE regards and happy gardening

Old 21-07-2009, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-21 17:15:34 +0100, Martin said:

snip

It's cheaper to go five times )
You can use one of the tickets for close family members and the return in
either direction. Which is how we ended up buying a season ticket
instead of two
peak period returns.

I wish they'd do this on the ferries to the CIs. ;-(

It's not very well publicised. Most people don't know these season tickets
exist.
It used to be possible to get reduced price tickets by owning a minimum of £600
of P&O shares. I don't even know who owns P&O nowadays. The share price used to
drop dramatically just after the deadline for owning shares to qualify for a
reduced rate the following year passed.

I'll look into it, though it's still a wretched drive from here to
Poole or Weymouth! But sometimes we want to take plants over for my
son or for friends and then taking a car (or two!) makes more sense.
Some friends of ours came to visit in their Range Rover, having done a
tour of other bits of England. Before returning to Jersey, they loaded
the car with plants - I think the passenger went home with one jostling
for room in her footwell but it was worth it for them. Last time we
flew over, in June, we took 3 plants a customer wanted and delivered
them to her personally, all for the p&p of £13 it cost us as baggage!
Can't do that very often, however. Those comparatively short stretches
of water are very expensive everywhere in the world, it seems. My son
is doing a big renovation garden scheme and an entirely new garden
scheme in one of his fields (if permission is forthcoming) and I think
we'll be taking over a pantechnicon at that point - should be
interesting both in terms of fare and the driving! I might have a
naturally suspicious nature but I think a lot of these ferry and
airline companies realise they do, literally, have a captive audience!

Old 21-07-2009, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

wrote:

Martin wrote:
http://www.helmsleywalledgarden.org.uk/

Thank you saved

Chat with the head gardener he is a mine of info, I'm amazed he
doesn't post here.

Can you share his name here?

I would if I knew his name )

His name could be Norman Potter. Only male gardener named on their
website. Martin

Ahh sorry, I thought you said he was your friend

shum mishtake?

reading back.. you are quaite raite!

Old 21-07-2009, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Martin wrote:
[...]

That *IS* interesting! Do tell more please?

Old 21-07-2009, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message

That *IS* interesting! Do tell more please?

As it's not gardening, how about taking it to email?

Or you exempt from the charter?

Old 21-07-2009, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

As we are talking ferries and not gardening, can I talk about the Isle of
Wight Ferries ?

If not, why not?

On 2009-07-21 17:15:34 +0100, Martin said:

snip

[...]

I just did a search and could find nobody offering season tickets between
UK and
the CI.

But sometimes we want to take plants over for my
son or for friends

We do that. We took an old Qualcast hover lawn mower with us two weeks ago
as
well as plants.

and then taking a car (or two!) makes more sense.
Some friends of ours came to visit in their Range Rover, having done a
tour of other bits of England. Before returning to Jersey, they loaded
the car with plants - I think the passenger went home with one jostling
for room in her footwell but it was worth it for them. Last time we
flew over, in June, we took 3 plants a customer wanted and delivered
them to her personally, all for the p&p of £13 it cost us as baggage!

Sacha air freight!

Can't do that very often, however. Those comparatively short stretches
of water are very expensive everywhere in the world, it seems.

I haven't checked recently but in the peak season in the 1990s the return
fare
for two adults and a car was almost the same between mainland ports from
Calais
to Hoek of Holland and the UK.

My son
is doing a big renovation garden scheme and an entirely new garden
scheme in one of his fields (if permission is forthcoming) and I think
we'll be taking over a pantechnicon at that point - should be
interesting both in terms of fare and the driving! I might have a
naturally suspicious nature but I think a lot of these ferry and
airline companies realise they do, literally, have a captive audience!

The ferries are running near empty for much of the year ATM. Even last
weekend
which was down on their booking chart as peak weekend of the year. the
ferry
wasn't full.
--

Martin

On 2009-07-21 17:15:34 +0100, Martin said:

snip

[...]

(I would have snipped this lot, but snipping does not seem to apply on this
newsgroup)

HOWEVER,

Sorry, I top posted by mistake. Had I been one of the chosen few it wouldn't
have mattered, but as it's me, the book of wrath will descend on me if I
don't go down on my bended knees to she and he who must be obeyed.

Kindest possible regards to those who have double standards

Old 21-07-2009, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

wrote:

Martin wrote:
[...]

http://www.poferries.com/tourist/con...on_tickets.htm

It doesn't mention period return tickets but they are available too.
I was told that this is because of an omission on their website. The
surcharge they mention is ?30 each way. We paid ?290 for each return
ticket. Martin

Thank you. I will pass it on to the children too

Old 22-07-2009, 07:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

wrote:

Martin wrote:
[...]

I discovered last year that I could have saved a substantial amount by
paying in
pounds. Worth considering!

Noted too) |Many thanks, Martin! Cor. you are a mine of useful
information)

Sacha's Tearoom Mark[_11_] United Kingdom 6 18-08-2009 09:35 PM
Sacha's Seeds Part 3 Mike United Kingdom 0 30-07-2003 10:12 PM
Sacha's Seeds Mike United Kingdom 1 10-07-2003 09:21 AM
Ping Sacha Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 3 26-05-2003 04:20 PM
Sacha re Monks Hood Annabel United Kingdom 9 15-03-2003 03:32 AM