Old 18-08-2009, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What to do with windfall apples?

"Anne Welsh Jackson" wrote in message
"wafflycat" wrote:
"Steve Harris" wrote:

My 'Ashmeads Kernal' is well loaded with fruit and harvest is scheduled
for mid-October. Meanwhile, it is shedding a lot of small apples -
some
of which show signs of insect damage.

* Should I be composting this windfall?
* Just leave it where it falls?
* Or maybe I should be destroying it to disrupt pest life-cycles?
* Is there a good culinary use for undamaged fallers?

Thanks!

Chutneys.. apple pies, apple crumble, apple sauce..

I made five gallons of apple wine, in 1990. Delicious, it was, and
I'm still finding the odd bottle of it here and there in the attic...

Is that because it made you so drunk you couldn't remember making it in the
first place?(:-)

Alan

--
AnneJ

Old 18-08-2009, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
My 'Ashmeads Kernal' is well loaded with fruit and harvest is scheduled
for mid-October.

Meanwhile, it is shedding a lot of small apples - some of which show
signs
of insect damage.

* Should I be composting this windfall?
* Just leave it where it falls?
* Or maybe I should be destroying it to disrupt pest life-cycles?
* Is there a good culinary use for undamaged fallers?

Thanks!

Steve Harris - Cheltenham - To get my real address, remove the fruit

I see you have plenty of responses for culinary use. However, for those
really damaged fruit, why not put them out for the birds. You could also
chop some up, add a little sugar and put it for hungry butterflies.

Or take then to your local stables, horses will eat them.

Old 18-08-2009, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

moghouse writes
On Aug 17, 9:19*pm, "shazzbat"
wrote:

This aspect of the thread has reminded me of our local butcher just
after the war, when rationing was still in force. He used to tell the
housewives about how one of his witty customers had told him that
there was more meat in a pound of windfalls than there was in a pound
his sausages. My mother could not understand that I thought the funny
bit was, that having told the story, the butcher always added "Mind
you, it ain't true, of course".

Back in the 1960s, which was a really bad time for food -it was the rise
of the white sliced loaf, the white-shelled egg, and everything factory
made - our local butcher was in the local newspaper, having been had up
by Trading Standards for insufficient meat in his sausages. Apparently.
it caused a quadrupling of his trade as people rushed to the one and
only butcher in the area still making his own.

--
Kay
Old 18-08-2009, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:

I made five gallons of apple wine, in 1990. Delicious, it was, and
I'm still finding the odd bottle of it here and there in the attic...

I made a gallon of peapod wine round about 1963. Disgusting it was,
so I kept one bottle to see what aging would do and poured the rest
away. Well, I was living with my mother then, who died many years
later; my brother found the bottle when clearing up and ceremoniously
presented it to me. It is now residing in my workshop, as a present
for any grandchildren.

Anything like apple wine would have a different fate ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 19-08-2009, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"moghouse" wrote in message
On Aug 17, 8:14 pm, "mike. buckley" wrote:

Bit disappointed on the amount of damage and this is putting me off
dropping some round to the neigbours lest they think I'm trying to do
them in. I'm sure eating apples off trees when I was a kid didn't have
this kind of problem - or maybe I just ate it anyway.

It was the meat in the apples that made us big strong boys!

What's worse than finding a grub in an apple?

Not finding one!

Apples Bill726 Gardening 1 24-02-2003 05:15 AM
Cox's apples sparky United Kingdom 9 14-01-2003 07:54 PM
Disfigured bramley apples. Johnathan United Kingdom 2 17-11-2002 10:28 AM
Family apples (was Herb usage?) Big Al United Kingdom 1 24-10-2002 06:18 PM
Apples again anton United Kingdom 3 22-10-2002 11:44 PM