Old 17-08-2009, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Victoria's Secret

I think that Victoria plums, along with kittens and Scandinavian au
pairs, are one of God's better creations and this year's crop is the
heaviest in my memory. We had plums with our cornflakes, plums on
crackers with our coffee, plums on toast with cheese for lunch, plums
and Victoria sponge with our afternoon tea and for dinner tonight it
will be plum rissotto with baked wasps followed by plum crumble. Has
anybody got any ideas for original plum recipes? - yes, I am starting
the plum jam making tomorrow and I have persuaded my brother in law to
do likewise.
Old 17-08-2009, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

moghouse wrote:
I think that Victoria plums, along with kittens and Scandinavian au
pairs, are one of God's better creations and this year's crop is the
heaviest in my memory. We had plums with our cornflakes, plums on
crackers with our coffee, plums on toast with cheese for lunch, plums
and Victoria sponge with our afternoon tea and for dinner tonight it
will be plum rissotto with baked wasps followed by plum crumble. Has
anybody got any ideas for original plum recipes? - yes, I am starting
the plum jam making tomorrow and I have persuaded my brother in law to
do likewise.

I used to make a lovely plum chutney. I will try to find the recipe if you
want

Old 17-08-2009, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 17, 8:00*pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
I used to make a lovely plum chutney. *I will try to find the recipe if you
want

I'm not a chutney person but my wife is. I have never made chutney so
it might be an exciting new experience!
Old 17-08-2009, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 17, 10:48*pm, Martin wrote:

Stop waffling and get to the point - the Scandinavian au
pairs.

Sadly the au pair crop has been rather poor in recent years - so
there'll be no strudel for you young man!
Old 18-08-2009, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"moghouse" wrote in message
On Aug 17, 8:00 pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
I used to make a lovely plum chutney. I will try to find the recipe if you
want

I'm not a chutney person but my wife is. I have never made chutney so
it might be an exciting new experience!

Here is one..

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/511709

Old 18-08-2009, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17 Aug, 19:21, moghouse wrote:
I think that Victoria plums, along with kittens and Scandinavian au
pairs, are one of God's better creations and this year's crop is the
heaviest in my memory. We had plums with our cornflakes, plums on
crackers with our coffee, plums on toast with cheese for lunch, plums
and Victoria sponge with our afternoon tea and for dinner tonight it
will be plum rissotto with baked wasps followed by plum crumble. Has
anybody got any ideas for original plum recipes? - yes, I am starting
the plum jam making tomorrow and I have persuaded my brother in law to
do likewise.

Plum wine?

Use fruit that is slightly over-ripe (should not be too difficult if
you have lots) because that way the sugars will be beginning to
ferment anyway. Add some yeast, water and keep it airtight.
Old 18-08-2009, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.cookitsimply.com/category-0020-0228p.html

Old 18-08-2009, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 18, 4:46*pm, sutartsorric wrote:

Plum wine?

Use fruit that is slightly over-ripe (should not be too difficult if
you have lots) because that way the sugars will be beginning to
ferment anyway. *Add some yeast, water and keep it airtight.

Thanks for the suggestion. Years ago I made al sorts of wine but never
had much success with plum. Now sadly my loss of balance means no
alcohol so its back to the jam and chutney!
Old 18-08-2009, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 18, 1:50*pm, "Ophelia" wrote:

* * Here is one..

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/511709

Thank you, I have been looking on the net and have arrived at a
combination of several which incorporates the ingredients I like
(including this one) and leaves out the garlic! I'll let you know how
I get on.

Old 18-08-2009, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"moghouse" wrote in message

On Aug 18, 4:46 pm, sutartsorric wrote:

Plum wine?

Use fruit that is slightly over-ripe (should not be too difficult if
you have lots) because that way the sugars will be beginning to
ferment anyway. Add some yeast, water and keep it airtight.

Thanks for the suggestion. Years ago I made al sorts of wine but never
had much success with plum. Now sadly my loss of balance means no
alcohol so its back to the jam and chutney!

Sad !
Can you not even have an alcoholic drink sitting or lying down ?

Regards
Pete - looking forward to --
www.sunovertheyardarmshortly.com

Old 18-08-2009, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

moghouse wrote:
On Aug 18, 1:50 pm, "Ophelia" wrote:

Here is one..

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/511709

Thank you, I have been looking on the net and have arrived at a
combination of several which incorporates the ingredients I like
(including this one) and leaves out the garlic! I'll let you know how
I get on.

Goodoh Don't forget!

Old 18-08-2009, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 18, 5:41*pm, "Pete Stockdale"
wrote:

Use fruit that is slightly over-ripe (should not be too difficult if
you have lots) because that way the sugars will be beginning to
ferment anyway. Add some yeast, water and keep it airtight.

Thanks for the suggestion. Years ago I made al sorts of wine but never
had much success with plum. Now sadly my loss of balance means no
alcohol so its back to the jam and chutney!

Sad !
Can you not even have an alcoholic *drink sitting or lying down ?

No, unfortunately, despite what "old man" Martin says, it is a most
unpleasant sensation now, rather akin to what happens when you get a
bad migraine' and I fall off the chair! You kids just don't know how
lucky you are.
Old 18-08-2009, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Use fruit that is slightly over-ripe (should not be too difficult if
you have lots) because that way the sugars will be beginning to
ferment anyway. Add some yeast, water and keep it airtight.
Thanks for the suggestion. Years ago I made al sorts of wine but never
had much success with plum. Now sadly my loss of balance means no
alcohol so its back to the jam and chutney!

Sad !
Can you not even have an alcoholic *drink sitting or lying down ?

No, unfortunately, despite what "old man" Martin says, it is a most
unpleasant sensation now, rather akin to what happens when you get a
bad migraine' and I fall off the chair! You kids just don't know how
lucky you are.

You could still make wine, and give it away to friends and family.

Then watch 'them' lose their balance.
Old 18-08-2009, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 18, 7:12*pm, sutartsorric wrote:

You could still make wine, and give it away to friends and family.

Then watch 'them' lose their balance.-

Of course - that's my christmas shopping taken care of!

Old 20-08-2009, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 19, 10:48*pm, Sacha wrote:

Do you suffer from true vertigo? *I did for some time, years ago and
still do very occasionally. *I have a few neck and other spinal
problems and a chiropractor sorts that out for me. *I hope the question
isn't intrusive, please ignore it if it is!

No mine is as a result of having Meniere's Disease, it makes one deaf
as well. Twenty years ago the audiologist told me I would be
completely deaf in ten years, but I can still hear a bit in one ear,
so they don't always get it right.