Old 16-11-2009, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT bird feeding poles

My wooden bird table is in a sad state, so I am looking to replace it. I
quite like the look of the poles, however there are so many to choose
from my head is spinning. Anyone with experience who can help me make a
good choice please? TIA
--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Old 16-11-2009, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote
My wooden bird table is in a sad state, so I am looking to replace it. I
quite like the look of the poles, however there are so many to choose from
my head is spinning. Anyone with experience who can help me make a good
choice please? TIA

Some of the ones we looked at didn't have a long enough pole, once the
feeders were hanging off it the birds were in cat jumping range. Not that
ours bother with birds, too much like hard work for them but we did have one
around here that was a birder.
You also want one that can go into the ground a decent way or with heavy
feeders and a strong wind they get blown over.
A lot are made down to a price it seemed to me.
Alternatively, one of those metal post spikes that go into the ground, a
long wooden post and four hanging basket brackets screwed into the top for
hanging the feeders off. Something to cover over the top of the post to keep
it dry, flashing or similar. Job done.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 16-11-2009, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote
[...]

B & M Stores do a great bird feeder for £7-99p includes seed tray and water
bath plus three hangers.
nicely styled

lofty

Old 16-11-2009, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Broadback
writes
My wooden bird table is in a sad state, so I am looking to replace it.
I quite like the look of the poles, however there are so many to choose
from my head is spinning. Anyone with experience who can help me make a
good choice please? TIA

Is this to stand on the patio or to be pushed in the ground?

We have a multi section pole with the hanging brackets as sockets
between the pole sections. IIRc it was an end of line form CJ birdfoods
a few years ago. It is ok, but the sections, maybe because of the extra
joints seem wobbly, and even though it has a wide tripod base it can
still blow over, so I've had to weight it.

Last year I bought my my some bird feeding gear for xmas to replace
their old bird table.

I bought the stuff from Soar Mills Seeds and Haith's.

It was a pole - possibly the Droll Yankee one.

http://www.soarmillseeds.co.uk/SMS01/itemdesc.asp?ic=GP&eq=&Tp=

A single section pole would be good, but I couldn't find one. nor did I
want to look for some suitable piece of metal tube.

This pole has a threaded top, so if you have any of the rather good
Droll Yankee feeders (also sold under the RSPB brand it seems), they
will screw on the top.

e.g.

http://www.haiths.com/product-Droll-...tion--Metal-WB
SD010080/

http://www.birdfood.co.uk/search.php?srch=defender+feeder

http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/p/BirdFeeders/RSPB_Premium_bird_feeders.htm

With these hooks, which work really well and can be adjusted easily

http://www.haiths.com/product-New--Wrap-Around-Hook-bfjacohook/

It stands on the patio, and though it's rather expensive I got this
base. which is really heavy, and the pole is very stable :-)

http://www.soarmillseeds.co.uk/SMS01/itemdesc.asp?ic=G1314&eq=&Tp=

To replace the birdtable, I got a hanging version of the plastic Meripac
one.

http://www.soarmillseeds.co.uk/SMS01/itemdesc.asp?ic=MHBT&eq=&Tp=

this is very sturdy, not cheapo plastic type one. (wood ones are so
rubbish, you would think there might be a market for decent hardwood
ones that might last a bit)

she and the birds seem very happy :-)

Here neighbour has one of the feeding stations, something like these,
which I think are often made by Gardman. which sems pretty good as well.

http://www.soarmillseeds.co.uk/SMS01...pStatus=0&Tp=&
Bc=

HTH
--
Chris French

Old 16-11-2009, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-16 18:18:38 +0000, Broadback said:

My wooden bird table is in a sad state, so I am looking to replace it.
I quite like the look of the poles, however there are so many to choose
from my head is spinning. Anyone with experience who can help me make a
good choice please? TIA

I've never run any kind of comparison but looking at the RSPB site
might help you to make up your mind as to what you want and then go on
to check out designs and prices elsewhere, as well as on their own
site. For instance, are you plagued by thieving squirrels etc.

--
Sacha

Old 17-11-2009, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-16 18:18:38 +0000, Broadback said:

My wooden bird table is in a sad state, so I am looking to replace it.
I quite like the look of the poles, however there are so many to choose
from my head is spinning. Anyone with experience who can help me make a
good choice please? TIA

We don't do them now but we used to stock some by Tom Chambers who do
quite a good range, I think. You might get some ideas there anyways:
http://www.tomchambers.co.uk/index2.php?id=21
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 17-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Our birds don't like pole hung feeders in the open because of the local sparrow hawks, they much prefer the ones hung under the sloe tree.
Old 17-11-2009, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:
My wooden bird table is in a sad state, so I am looking to replace it. I
quite like the look of the poles, however there are so many to choose
from my head is spinning. Anyone with experience who can help me make a
good choice please? TIA

I quite like 15mm copper pipe. Squirrels find metal poles much harder to
climb (though not impossible).

The compression plumbing fittings are an exact match for the underside
of certain bird feeders - and much cheaper than the official poles.

Minor disadvantage is that the feeder doesn't wobble so much on a pole
from underneath so the more agile sparrows can also get peanuts out.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 18-11-2009, 12:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-17 16:07:32 +0000, Granity
said:

'Sacha[_4_ Wrote:
;869866']On 2009-11-16 18:18:38 +0000, Broadback
-

http://tinyurl.com/ycc5cr7
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Our birds don't like pole hung feeders in the open because of the local
sparrow hawks, they much prefer the ones hung under the sloe tree.

Our sparrow hawks perched in the trees and just waited when we had
doves. It was like a sort of buffet for them... Horrible.

Old 18-11-2009, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote:
Broadback wrote:
My wooden bird table is in a sad state, so I am looking to replace it.
I quite like the look of the poles, however there are so many to
choose from my head is spinning. Anyone with experience who can help
me make a good choice please? TIA

I quite like 15mm copper pipe. Squirrels find metal poles much harder to
climb (though not impossible).

The compression plumbing fittings are an exact match for the underside
of certain bird feeders - and much cheaper than the official poles.

Minor disadvantage is that the feeder doesn't wobble so much on a pole
from underneath so the more agile sparrows can also get peanuts out.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Thanks one and all, food for thought!

Old 12-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Registered User

Location: Hoddesdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadback[_2_] View Post
Martin Brown wrote:
Broadback wrote:
My wooden bird table is in a sad state, so I am looking to replace it.
I quite like the look of the poles, however there are so many to
choose from my head is spinning. Anyone with experience who can help
me make a good choice please? TIA

I quite like 15mm copper pipe. Squirrels find metal poles much harder to
climb (though not impossible).

The compression plumbing fittings are an exact match for the underside
of certain bird feeders - and much cheaper than the official poles.

Minor disadvantage is that the feeder doesn't wobble so much on a pole
from underneath so the more agile sparrows can also get peanuts out.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Thanks one and all, food for thought!

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
If anyone is still interested in a bird feeder i do offer to make two types of bird feeders
An open bird feeder table
or a 4 hook feeder very good for hanging the feed off for the birds.
very good prices.
Attached Thumbnails
OT bird feeding poles-bird-open-feeder-copy.jpg

Bamboo Poles Teech North Carolina 8 30-04-2007 04:35 PM
Runner Bean Support (Glass Fibre Poles)! EddySon United Kingdom 16 13-06-2004 12:07 PM
If a geezer can't call a bird a bird what can he call a bird? Peter Gregson Gardening 9 05-11-2003 10:02 PM
Large bamboo poles H United Kingdom 5 30-07-2003 12:42 PM