Old 20-01-2010, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default OK to bury cat droppings?

Chris ] writes
Is it OK to bury cat droppings?

Well, (some) cats do ;-)
The theory is that the closer the digestive system is to ours, the more
likely it is that the faeces will carry organisms that are a problem to
us. So herbivore faeces are no problem, and we happily use horse manure
on the garden. Human faeces are potentially a problem (though still
used, I believe, in some parts of the world). Dogs and cats are
carnivores, and probably not a good idea to use their faeces in bulk.

Also, if it's come from a litter tray, the litter is basically clay and
not particularly useful to your soil.

--
Kay
Old 20-01-2010, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:
Chris ] writes
Is it OK to bury cat droppings?

Well, (some) cats do ;-)
The theory is that the closer the digestive system is to ours, the more
likely it is that the faeces will carry organisms that are a problem to
us. So herbivore faeces are no problem, and we happily use horse manure
on the garden. Human faeces are potentially a problem (though still
used, I believe, in some parts of the world). Dogs and cats are
carnivores, and probably not a good idea to use their faeces in bulk.

Also, if it's come from a litter tray, the litter is basically clay and
not particularly useful to your soil.

I am very surprised that no one had suggested burying the cat might be
more efficacious.

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Old 20-01-2010, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 12:38:25 +0000, Broadback
wrote:

K wrote:
Chris ] writes
Is it OK to bury cat droppings?

Well, (some) cats do ;-)
The theory is that the closer the digestive system is to ours, the more
likely it is that the faeces will carry organisms that are a problem to
us. So herbivore faeces are no problem, and we happily use horse manure
on the garden. Human faeces are potentially a problem (though still
used, I believe, in some parts of the world). Dogs and cats are
carnivores, and probably not a good idea to use their faeces in bulk.

Also, if it's come from a litter tray, the litter is basically clay and
not particularly useful to your soil.

I am very surprised that no one had suggested burying the cat might be
more efficacious.

Sir, Sir!

I did

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 20-01-2010, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Broadback writes
K wrote:
Chris ] writes
Is it OK to bury cat droppings?

Well, (some) cats do ;-)
The theory is that the closer the digestive system is to ours, the more
likely it is that the faeces will carry organisms that are a problem to
us. So herbivore faeces are no problem, and we happily use horse manure
on the garden. Human faeces are potentially a problem (though still
used, I believe, in some parts of the world). Dogs and cats are
carnivores, and probably not a good idea to use their faeces in bulk.

Also, if it's come from a litter tray, the litter is basically clay and
not particularly useful to your soil.

I am very surprised that no one had suggested burying the cat might be
more efficacious.

You weren't reading the thread very well, then
--
Kay
Old 20-01-2010, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:
Broadback writes
K wrote:
Chris ] writes
Is it OK to bury cat droppings?

Well, (some) cats do ;-)
The theory is that the closer the digestive system is to ours, the more
likely it is that the faeces will carry organisms that are a problem to
us. So herbivore faeces are no problem, and we happily use horse manure
on the garden. Human faeces are potentially a problem (though still
used, I believe, in some parts of the world). Dogs and cats are
carnivores, and probably not a good idea to use their faeces in bulk.

Also, if it's come from a litter tray, the litter is basically clay and
not particularly useful to your soil.

I am very surprised that no one had suggested burying the cat might be
more efficacious.

You weren't reading the thread very well, then

No I read it, just a bit thick, so didn't understand hieroglyphics post! ;-(

Old 21-01-2010, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
K wrote:
Chris ] writes
Is it OK to bury cat droppings?

Well, (some) cats do ;-)
The theory is that the closer the digestive system is to ours, the more
likely it is that the faeces will carry organisms that are a problem to
us. So herbivore faeces are no problem, and we happily use horse manure
on the garden. Human faeces are potentially a problem (though still
used, I believe, in some parts of the world). Dogs and cats are
carnivores, and probably not a good idea to use their faeces in bulk.

Also, if it's come from a litter tray, the litter is basically clay and
not particularly useful to your soil.

I am very surprised that no one had suggested burying the cat might be
more efficacious.

We have buried six in our garden and there has been no noticable difference!

Old 21-01-2010, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote in message
K wrote:
[...]

We have buried four in our garden and .. likewise.
If your own cats don't 'use' your garden, then an incoming cat *will*. At
least you know you've wormed your own cats.

Spider

Old 20-01-2010, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Chris ] writes
Is it OK to bury cat droppings?

Well, (some) cats do ;-)
The theory is that the closer the digestive system is to ours, the more
likely it is that the faeces will carry organisms that are a problem to
us. So herbivore faeces are no problem, and we happily use horse manure on
the garden. Human faeces are potentially a problem (though still used, I
believe, in some parts of the world). Dogs and cats are carnivores, and
probably not a good idea to use their faeces in bulk.

Also, if it's come from a litter tray, the litter is basically clay and
not particularly useful to your soil.

As far as I am aware human faeces are used as fertiliser in this country
after suitable treatment.

Google gives http://orgprints.org/8477/1/njf4.pdf which claims 30-40% of
sewage sludge is used as fertiliser in Nordic countries.

Also
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ser-crops.html.

I am pretty sure they used to use it (and may still) around Suffolk.

It is treated to destroy pathogens, though, so I wouldn't use cat crap as
the main source of fertiliser for your slad crops :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Old 20-01-2010, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"K" wrote in message
[...]

I remember a large dump of it on the old Ipswich Airport. It was an
excellet source of tomato plants!
Graham

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4791 (20100120) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old 23-01-2010, 12:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
[...]

I'm always surprised there isn't a good crop of maize too.
Why anyone eats sweetcorn escapes me - it comes out exactly as it goes in.
Tina

Old 24-01-2010, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 00:33:27 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

Why anyone eats sweetcorn escapes me - it comes out exactly as it goes in.
Tina

It helps to cook it and chew it before swallowing.

(Microwaving is surprisingly good)

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 24-01-2010, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , Christina Websell
writes

I'm always surprised there isn't a good crop of maize too.
Why anyone eats sweetcorn escapes me - it comes out exactly as it goes in.

Err, next time you eat some, put your teeth in first - you're meant to
chew it :-)

Yes. I know that.
Sometimes I could slap you, Malcolm, you can be so.. patronising.

Old 25-01-2010, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Malcolm writes

The word patronise comes from the Latin "pater" = father. So, as I'm
old enough to be your father........

Now that's interesting, because I assumed Tina was my age, and you're
certainly not old enough to be my father ;-)

--
Kay
Old 25-01-2010, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Malcolm writes

In article , K
writes
Malcolm writes

The word patronise comes from the Latin "pater" = father. So, as I'm
old enough to be your father........

Now that's interesting, because I assumed Tina was my age, and you're
certainly not old enough to be my father ;-)

Sure about that, are you?

Not absolutely sure ... but I think I may have met you ;-)

While I couldn't possibly make any such assumption about Tina's age,

Of course you can! Whether it's sensible or polite to do so is another
question, but you can always make assumptions if you wish.

--
Kay
Old 28-01-2010, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , K
writes
Malcolm writes

The word patronise comes from the Latin "pater" = father. So, as I'm old
enough to be your father........

Now that's interesting, because I assumed Tina was my age, and you're
certainly not old enough to be my father ;-)

Sure about that, are you?

While I couldn't possibly make any such assumption about Tina's age, as
you have done, there's nothing that says I can't try and flatter her to
make amends! Anyway, discussing the age of ladies on this group is not
something a gentleman would do (cue obvious remark!).

--

Yes, Malcolm, you are probably old enough to be my father, so I excuse you
ducks and runs fast

Tina