Old 20-01-2010, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OK to bury cat droppings?

"CT" wrote
Martin wrote:

I recall a ban on products being sold for gardens by Reading Sewage
Works, because of the high heavy metals content.

Ah, that'll be the Rock Festival causes that!

Heh.

Yes, sewage waste is often used as fertiliser in agricultural areas to
my knowledge. They treat it and dry it and then call the result
biosolids to make it sound more 'refained'
There's probably info on local water supplier's websites.
--
Sue

Old 20-01-2010, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 16:49:06 -0000, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

"®óñ© © ²°¹°" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 09:55:51 +0000, Chris ] wrote:

Is it OK to bury cat droppings?
Would it be OK under apple trees or gooseberry bushes?

Cut out the middle man

Ambiguous - I took this to mean that you should get your cats to bury their
own droppings in the garden.

No Sir. I was implying that one could, if one so wished, inter the
vector

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 20-01-2010, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"K" wrote in message
Chris ] writes
Is it OK to bury cat droppings?

Well, (some) cats do ;-)
The theory is that the closer the digestive system is to ours, the more
likely it is that the faeces will carry organisms that are a problem to
us. So herbivore faeces are no problem, and we happily use horse manure
on the garden. Human faeces are potentially a problem (though still used,
I believe, in some parts of the world). Dogs and cats are carnivores, and
probably not a good idea to use their faeces in bulk.

Also, if it's come from a litter tray, the litter is basically clay and
not particularly useful to your soil.

As far as I am aware human faeces are used as fertiliser in this country
after suitable treatment.

Google gives http://orgprints.org/8477/1/njf4.pdf which claims 30-40% of
sewage sludge is used as fertiliser in Nordic countries.

Also
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ser-crops.html.

I am pretty sure they used to use it (and may still) around Suffolk.

It is treated to destroy pathogens, though, so I wouldn't use cat crap as
the main source of fertiliser for your slad crops :-)

I remember a large dump of it on the old Ipswich Airport. It was an
excellet source of tomato plants!
Graham

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4791 (20100120) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old 20-01-2010, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 17:34:17 -0000, Spider wrote:

Lazy cat owners ...

As a cat owner ...

Although my garden is used by cats (including my own) ...

You're all forgetting something. Cats don't have owners they have
staff.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 20-01-2010, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"®óñ© © ²°¹°" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 16:49:06 -0000, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

"®óñ© © ²°¹°" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 09:55:51 +0000, Chris ] wrote:

Is it OK to bury cat droppings?
Would it be OK under apple trees or gooseberry bushes?

Cut out the middle man

Ambiguous - I took this to mean that you should get your cats to bury
their
own droppings in the garden.

No Sir. I was implying that one could, if one so wished, inter the
vector

"inter the vector" is that code (big boy)?

Old 20-01-2010, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 17:34:17 -0000, Spider wrote:

Lazy cat owners ...

As a cat owner ...

Although my garden is used by cats (including my own) ...

You're all forgetting something. Cats don't have owners they have
staff.

--
Cheers
Dave.

:~) Well, I'm the bossiest staff any cat ever had, then. You should be in
my house when there's a feline misdemeanour! I train my cats so they know
when they've done something wrong but, just to be on the safe side, I
explain it to them again!

Spider

Old 20-01-2010, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote ((BIG SNIP))
Part of the problem is breeders that allow non-pedigree kittens to be
sold/given away before they are 12 weeks old. The organisation in charge
of Pedigree Cats insists they have to be. By that time the mother will
have house trained them and taught them to use a tray and it will stay
with them for life as it has all our pedigree cats.

Perhaps you could start a petition for a new law on that topic. 12 weeks
minimum before they leave their mother.

Actually, Bob, 12 weeks is too long. It is a well known fact that kittens
who are over 12 weeks old before being homed with a human family are less
likely to bond with people and adapt to training. This would make them
less controllable, not more. Eight weeks is quite good enough if they've
been reared responsibly.

The pedigree cats have to be 12 weeks old before they are sold and I can't
say ours ever had problems getting us retrained to their preferences.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 20-01-2010, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

(Large amopunt snipped for brevity)

Although my garden is used by cats (including my own) and foxes, it is the
fox's poo that is the most dificult to deal with. It is deposited openly
where one can't avoid finding it, often in the middle of a plant where it
can't easily be cleaned up. Spider

The fox has shown you the way to solve your problem. Place something
prominent like a large log or boulder for him to crap on. He is marking his
territory by so doing, and you can then easily remove the mess and keep your
plants safe from his antics.

Bill

Old 21-01-2010, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

[...]

:~)) Oh, I'm sure they're very happy with the arrangement! However, RG
doesn't like cats but tolerates them provided they're trained not to jump up
on tables, in the kitchen, on the furniture, up the stairs *anywhere*.
Training an 8wk old cat is infinitely easier than training an 12wk old cat;
I know, I've tried it. I had real trouble with my 12wk older cat until I
tried 'growl speak' with her. Oh boy, did she toe the line then! :~)

Spider

Old 21-01-2010, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message

(Large amopunt snipped for brevity)

Although my garden is used by cats (including my own) and foxes, it is
the fox's poo that is the most dificult to deal with. It is deposited
openly where one can't avoid finding it, often in the middle of a plant
where it can't easily be cleaned up. Spider

The fox has shown you the way to solve your problem. Place something
prominent like a large log or boulder for him to crap on. He is marking
his territory by so doing, and you can then easily remove the mess and
keep your plants safe from his antics.

Bill

Thanks, Bill. It sounds like good behavioural training, doesn't it? Alas,
I've got umpteen things around my garden which foxy might use, but s/he
seems to prefer plants - especially new plants ... and, no, I'm not going to
stop putting plants in the garden just to curtail (heh heh) foxy's
inappropriate toiletting:~).

Spider

Old 21-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Registered User

Going back to the subject, whilst I remember it, I read of someone who removed the crap from the littter tray, and used the litter which was soaked in urine. The trouble is that I cannot remember exactly what they did with it (memory again). With urine being a good ferrtilizer, it may be that it was thrown on a compost heap, but I am getting an idea that the whole lot was soakeed in water to make a liquid manure. Anyone else read this?
Bigal
Old 21-01-2010, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"®óñ© © ²°¹°" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 16:49:06 -0000, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

"®óñ© © ²°¹°" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 09:55:51 +0000, Chris ] wrote:

Is it OK to bury cat droppings?
Would it be OK under apple trees or gooseberry bushes?

Cut out the middle man

Ambiguous - I took this to mean that you should get your cats to bury
their
own droppings in the garden.

No Sir. I was implying that one could, if one so wished, inter the
vector

Could you please interpret that into 'simple' english?

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)

Old 21-01-2010, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
K wrote:
Chris ] writes
Is it OK to bury cat droppings?

Well, (some) cats do ;-)
The theory is that the closer the digestive system is to ours, the more
likely it is that the faeces will carry organisms that are a problem to
us. So herbivore faeces are no problem, and we happily use horse manure
on the garden. Human faeces are potentially a problem (though still
used, I believe, in some parts of the world). Dogs and cats are
carnivores, and probably not a good idea to use their faeces in bulk.

Also, if it's come from a litter tray, the litter is basically clay and
not particularly useful to your soil.

I am very surprised that no one had suggested burying the cat might be
more efficacious.

We have buried six in our garden and there has been no noticable difference!

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.

Old 21-01-2010, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 19:28:13 -0000, "alan.holmes"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"®óñ© © ²°¹°" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 09:55:51 +0000, Chris ] wrote:

Is it OK to bury cat droppings?
Would it be OK under apple trees or gooseberry bushes?

Cut out the middle man

Ambiguous - I took this to mean that you should get your cats to bury
their
own droppings in the garden.

No Sir. I was implying that one could, if one so wished, inter the
vector

Could you please interpret that into 'simple' english?

Take one cat

Inter in turd

QED

My work here is done

--
Old 21-01-2010, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote in message
K wrote:
Chris ] writes
[...]

We have buried four in our garden and .. likewise.
If your own cats don't 'use' your garden, then an incoming cat *will*. At
least you know you've wormed your own cats.

Spider