Old 07-02-2010, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fungus on tree stump

I had a tree cut down a couple of years ago. Stump still in situ.
It has developed some fungi, but I don't think it's honey fungus; too
orangey. I've seen HF before and Googled pictures.
Any ideas what I might do to get rid of it?
Armillatox?
TIA

Pam in Bristol
Old 07-02-2010, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 15:53:08 +0000, Pam Moore
wrote:

I had a tree cut down a couple of years ago. Stump still in situ.
It has developed some fungi, but I don't think it's honey fungus; too
orangey. I've seen HF before and Googled pictures.
Any ideas what I might do to get rid of it?
Armillatox?
TIA

If the stump is dead then it will decay, and the fungus is part of
that natural process. Even if you kill off the visible fungus there
will be more out of sight below ground.
Either you must dig up the stump entirely, or let nature take its
course.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Pam Moore writes
I had a tree cut down a couple of years ago. Stump still in situ.
It has developed some fungi, but I don't think it's honey fungus; too
orangey. I've seen HF before and Googled pictures.
Any ideas what I might do to get rid of it?
Armillatox?
TIA

Out of curiosity, if you don't think it's honey fungus, why do you want
to get rid of it?
--
Kay
Old 08-02-2010, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I had a tree cut down a couple of years ago. Stump still in situ.
It has developed some fungi, but I don't think it's honey fungus; too
orangey. I've seen HF before and Googled pictures.
Any ideas what I might do to get rid of it?
Armillatox?
TIA

If the stump is dead then it will decay, and the fungus is part of
that natural process. Even if you kill off the visible fungus there
will be more out of sight below ground.
Either you must dig up the stump entirely, or let nature take its
course.

I should have worded my question differently and asked whether I need
to do anything. I'm quite aware that this is part of the process of
the stump decaying.
If it is OK to leave it to do its work, I shall no worry about it.
If

Pam in Bristol
Old 08-02-2010, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha wrote:

Pam, I find this interesting site which shows pics of the more
dangerous fungi. It might help set your mind at rest - I hope!

Sigh, when oh when will I stop doing that.....!

http://www.helpwithtrees.co.uk/Fungi.htm

What they don't say is that pretty well the only reason for action
is if the tree is likely to be dangerous. The spores of the common
ones are ubiquitous and carried by the wind, so removing the ones
growing on stumps doesn't help much, if at all. And, once soil-born
fungi are in your soil, there is damn all you can do except to plant
less sensitive species.

So doing nothing is generally recommended ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

On 2010-02-08 11:15:05 +0000, Pam Moore

wrote:

[...]

Be caution of those photos: honey fungus is notoriously
variable in appearance. Consider looking at
http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/
to help identify fungi.

BTW, if it is "chicken of the woods" then you might
like to consider eating your way out of trouble.

Well, I exaggerate, of course, but before it becomes
too woody it is delicious. Last one I collected was
between the lion and tige enclosures at Longleat - an
obliging employee pulled it off the tree for me

Old 11-02-2010, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote:
I had a tree cut down a couple of years ago. Stump still in situ.
It has developed some fungi, but I don't think it's honey fungus; too
orangey. I've seen HF before and Googled pictures.
Any ideas what I might do to get rid of it?
Armillatox?

It would help if you said what the tree was - many - most - fungi are
fairly host-specific.

If you could post a pic somewhere, it would help too.

Failing anyone here knowing, point alt.nature.mushrooms at the pic.

--
Rusty
Old 11-02-2010, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

Other than consulting a tree surgeon, no. But I was thinking more of it
being useful in ID-ing the fungus.

Whereas I'm thinking: /I don't know of any poisonous mushrooms which
grow directly on wood, so I'd be looking to see if it's edible/

--
Rusty
Old 14-02-2010, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 19:40:17 +0000, Rusty Hinge
wrote:

Pam Moore wrote:
I had a tree cut down a couple of years ago. Stump still in situ.
It has developed some fungi, but I don't think it's honey fungus; too
orangey. I've seen HF before and Googled pictures.
Any ideas what I might do to get rid of it?
Armillatox?

It would help if you said what the tree was - many - most - fungi are
fairly host-specific.

If you could post a pic somewhere, it would help too.

Failing anyone here knowing, point alt.nature.mushrooms at the pic.

It was a Judas tree (cercis siliquastrum) which outgrew its space.
It's taken me an hour or so, but I've put 3 photos on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pamsnz/

If they are edible, well that would be great.
These are added to my New Zealand photos from 2 years ago. I've not
touched the site since!
Also added are the very early snowdrops I asked about which were well
up and in bud before the snow in early January.
Perhaps no distinguishing features as they were not in full bloom when
I took the photo a couple of weeks ago.
TIA

Pam in Bristol
Old 15-02-2010, 01:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

Pam Moore wrote in
:

wrote:

Pam Moore wrote:
[...]

Have a look at
http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/chooser.asp
which implicitly indicates some characteristics used
when identifying fungi.

I'd tentatively consider sulphur tuft.

Apple Tree Stump Remonal Pete United Kingdom 8 30-09-2008 03:17 AM
Tree Stump Removal Alan Smith United Kingdom 8 29-09-2008 08:32 PM
Last year, fungus fungus everywhere Natalka Rosalia Maria Roshak Edible Gardening 5 26-01-2005 06:26 PM
tree stump removal Giggles Gardening 6 30-09-2003 04:02 AM
tree stump Kumar Varadan Gardening 1 17-04-2003 06:08 PM