Old 19-02-2010, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Snowdrops

Just finished planting some snowdrops I bought on Ebay, just common
and double ones.
I was amazed at the prices being paid for single bulbs of some of the
less comon varieties,almost like the old time tulip frenzy.
David Hilli
Old 19-02-2010, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
Just finished planting some snowdrops I bought on Ebay, just common
and double ones.
I was amazed at the prices being paid for single bulbs of some of the
less comon varieties,almost like the old time tulip frenzy.
David Hilli

How much were they as a matter of interest?
Tina

Old 19-02-2010, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

How much were they as a matter of interest?
Tina

How much were which?
The ones I bought or the over priced bulbs?

The over priced bulbe the first time I looked were reaching around
£70.00 for 1 bulb + P & P
Old 19-02-2010, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 19 Feb, 20:52, Dave Hill wrote:
How much were they as a matter of interest?
Tina

How much were which?
The ones I bought or the over priced bulbs?

The over priced bulbe the first time I looked were reaching around
£70.00 for 1 bulb + P & P

Prices are better now though the best varieties seem to have been
sold, but look at this one
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Galanthus-plic...em1 e5a74e6f8

David Hill
Old 20-02-2010, 12:19 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post
On 19 Feb, 20:52, Dave Hill wrote:
How much were they as a matter of interest?
Tina

How much were which?
The ones I bought or the over priced bulbs?

The over priced bulbe the first time I looked were reaching around
£70.00 for 1 bulb + P & P

Prices are better now though the best varieties seem to have been
sold, but look at this one
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Galanthus-plic...em1 e5a74e6f8

David Hill

Are you planting them as grown plants or as bulbs? Seems an odd time to be doing this, since generally they do best when planted as soon as flowering has stopped. Our church plant sale sells great clumps of them at around Easter time for naturalizing. Usual price around £1.50 a clump, which may contain 100 or more bulbs.

Since an unusual form can only be propagated by division, new rare types will be extremely expensive.

Old 20-02-2010, 01:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
, Dave
Hill writes
The over priced bulbe the first time I looked were reaching around
£70.00 for 1 bulb + P & P

Blimey I only paid a couple of pounds for a few Blewberry Tart ones some
years ago and they've increased quite well, also Straffan . I have got a
largish very early one that was given to me by Patricia Liechti who sued
to open her garden for the NGS near here. However I keep giving some of
the clump away but have yet to find the name . Have lost touch with her
but I am pretty sure it had a name like King, or Prince or similar. NOT
S Arnott.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 20-02-2010, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , beccabunga
writes

http://tinyurl.com/ye6qnlq

David Hill

Are you planting them as grown plants or as bulbs? Seems an odd time to
be doing this, since generally they do best when planted as soon as
flowering has stopped. Our church plant sale sells great clumps of them
at around Easter time for naturalizing. Usual price around £1.50 a
clump, which may contain 100 or more bulbs.

Since an unusual form can only be propagated by division, new rare types
will be extremely expensive.

Would it be betraying a secret if one were to enquire where your church
is located? If not .... where is it, please? .... :-)))
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 20-02-2010, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

Are you planting them as grown plants or as bulbs? Seems an odd time to
be doing this, since generally they do best when planted as soon as
flowering has stopped. Our church plant sale sells great clumps of them
at around Easter time for naturalizing. Usual price around £1.50 a
clump, which may contain 100 or more bulbs.

Since an unusual form can only be propagated by division, new rare types
will be extremely expensive.

--
beccabunga

I am planting in the green but with flowers, as I have often done
before.

as for propagating you can also do this bt twin scaling see
http://www.judyssnowdrops.co.uk/Prop...in-scaling.htm

David Hill
Old 20-02-2010, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
Dave Hill writes
I am planting in the green but with flowers, as I have often done
before.

as for propagating you can also do this bt twin scaling see
http://www.judyssnowdrops.co.uk/Prop...in-scaling.htm

David Hill

Dowling Munro a sort of authority on snowdrops has an open garden in the
Hollies, Prestwood next Friday from 10 - 12 in aid of charity. He has
loads of different varieties several yellow ones and is considered an
expert on them.

Tomorrow there's a snowdrop garden opening in Wooburn Green near High
Wycombe for the NGS

By the way David we had a dahlia aficionado also called David talking to
the HPS this afternoon in Winslow, he was talking about a rare double
orchid dahlia that only he and a friend owned, I said I bet David Hill
of Abacus nurseries would want one of those and he remarked that it was
Mr Hill who was his friend
Tochy Oko it sounded like,

Good speaker, very interesting. Like his unique carnation dahlia he's
just grown/bred!!

Janet
Old 20-02-2010, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 19:19:18 -0500, beccabunga
wrote:

Dave Hill;877900 Wrote:
[...]

I have jjust received some from Eurobulbs. Nivalis and Elwesii, both
lots in full flower. Hurriedly potted! Will plant out in a few
weeks.

Pam in Bristol

Old 21-02-2010, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 20 Feb, 22:28, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article
By the way David we had a dahlia aficionado also called David talking to
the HPS this afternoon in Winslow, he was talking about a rare double
orchid dahlia that only he and a friend *owned, I said I bet David Hill
of Abacus nurseries would want one of those and he remarked that it was
Mr Hill who was his friend
Tochy Oko it sounded like,

Good speaker, very interesting. Like his unique carnation dahlia he's
just grown/bred!!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraphhttp://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Not me Janet
Re the double orchid dahlia. or double Giraffe dahlia Suttons seeds
are selling ther tubers and the single as well
seeds.suttons.co.uk/gardening/Orchid
David
Old 21-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopher View Post
Would it be betraying a secret if one were to enquire where your church
is located? If not .... where is it, please? .... :-)))
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
About twelve miles west of Oxford, 3 miles south of Witney. The annual sake of plants is on Palm Sunday.
Old 22-02-2010, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , beccabunga
writes

Gopher;877938 Wrote:

Would it be betraying a secret if one were to enquire where your church

is located? If not .... where is it, please? .... :-)))
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

About twelve miles west of Oxford, 3 miles south of Witney. The annual
sake of plants is on Palm Sunday.

Thanks. I assume that, in common with most churches, visitors are given
a warm welcome :-))
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 23-02-2010, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
, Dave
Hill writes
Not me Janet
Re the double orchid dahlia. or double Giraffe dahlia Suttons seeds
are selling ther tubers and the single as well
seeds.suttons.co.uk/gardening/Orchid
David

He mentioned Abacus nurseries by name David so I assumed it was you who
was the David in question
The speaker/lectruere said he grew under the name of Amgard
Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

when's the latest for (re-)planting 'snowdrops in the green'? dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 4 01-04-2003 05:56 PM
Snowdrops on display Pam Moore United Kingdom 2 18-02-2003 03:43 PM
Snowdrops Pam Moore United Kingdom 0 07-02-2003 10:06 AM
Snowdrops Cavalier United Kingdom 21 05-02-2003 12:57 PM
Snowdrops in Lawns - especially mine! Tumbleweed United Kingdom 0 16-10-2002 06:51 AM