Old 06-03-2010, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gardener's World Friday 5th March 2010

Martin wrote:

On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 17:44:23 +0000, Terry Fields
wrote:

Pete wrote:

As a tomato lover and grower and arthritis sufferer, I would be interested
to learn of your source for the conflict between toms and arthritis.

The nightshade family contains the alkaloid solanin; it's thought that
arthritis sufferers can't process this into something harmless, so it
winds up irritating the already-inflamed joints.

As a result, missing out tomatoes and sweet peppers is a good idea, as
is taking cod liver oil, which produces natural prostaglandin
anti-inflammatories.

http://arthritis.about.com/b/2006/09...hade-foods.htm
"Nightshade Vegetables: Should People With Arthritis Avoid Nightshade Foods?

Nightshade vegetables are among the foods that some people feel can trigger
arthritis flares. Others feel their arthritis symptoms improve when nightshade
vegetables are avoided. What are nightshade vegetables? According to The George
Mateljan Foundation, food members of the nightshade family include:
potatoes (not sweet potatoes)
tomatoes
eggplant
sweet and hot peppers (including paprika, cayenne pepper and Tabasco sauce)
ground cherries
tomatillos and tamarillos
garden huckleberry and naranjillas
pepinos and pimentos
Should people with arthritis avoid nightshade vegetables? According to the
University of Washington website, "No foods have been definitively shown to
cause or exacerbate arthritis in most individuals. A variety of diets and
hand-me-down information exists about certain foods and arthritis, in particular
the night shade plants, but none of it has been proven." The effect of foods on
arthritis symptoms vary greatly from person to person. It is an individual
decision whether or not to avoid nightshade vegetables."

The full paper (referenced) is also interesting:

http://www.noarthritis.com/research.htm

Abstract
Diet appears to be a factor in the etiology of arthritis based on
surveys of over 1400 volunteers during a 20-year period. Plants in the
drug family, Solanaceae (nightshades) are an important causative
factor in arthritis in sensitive people. This family includes potato
(Solanum tuberosum L.), tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum L.), eggplant
(Solanum melongena L.), tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum L.), and peppers
(Capsicum sp.) of all kinds except the black pepper (family,
Piperaceae). A buildup of cholinesterase inhibiting glycoalkaloids and
steroids from consumption and/or use (tobacco) of the nightshades and
from other sources such as caffeine and some pesticides
(organophosphates and carbamates) may cause inflammation, muscle
spasms, pain, and stiffness. Osteoarthritis appears to be a result of
long-term consumption and/or use of the Solanaceae which contain
naturally the active metabolite, vitamin D3, which in excess causes
crippling and early disability (as seen in livestock). Rigid omission
of Solanaceae, with other minor diet adjustments, has resulted in
positive to marked improvement in arthritis and general health.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

The only time I was told to avoid eating tomatoes was when I was
breast-feeding my first child who is now 34. I *love* tomatoes so it's a
good job he was born in February!

They do come in tins etc. as well !

Thanks for everbody's contributions -certainly food for thought (:-(

More food depression coming on Channel 4 shortly, I fear.

A "must-watch" on fish.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 06-03-2010, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 6 Mar, 19:10, "Pete" wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message

The only time I was told to avoid eating tomatoes was when I was
breast-feeding my first child who is now 34. *I *love* tomatoes so it's a
good job he was born in February!

They do come in tins etc. as well !

Thanks for everbody's contributions -certainly food for thought (:-(

More food depression coming on Channel 4 shortly, I fear.

A "must-watch" on fish.

Regards
Petewww.thecanalshop.com

If you want to know if Tomatoes upset your digestine system and or
agrivate arthritus then keep a food diary, this way you will be able
to see if there is any corelation between eating them, (and the type
eaten) and any occurance of any adverse effects.
David Hill
Old 06-03-2010, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

* *If, as you posted earlier, *you have been gardening since Geoff
Hamilton's time then you surely know there is no
*general purpose seed-planting routine. It is always specific, depending
on the type of plant, the size of seed, the time of year

Only since Geoff Hamiltons time?
No wonder you are still learning, now in My day with Gardening club
with Percy Thrower Taught you so much more, like keeping your foot on
the turf as you used a hollow tine fork to stop the turf comming up
stuck to the fork, that if you had a greenhouse on the roof of
broadcasting house then it didn't need glass and much more, but in
those days programmes were broadcast live and mistakes had to be
covered.
They didn't have the advantage that TV cooks Like Philip Harben had of
going to the oven for the "One I prepared Earlier" (Yes it was Philip
Harben and not Blue Peter that originated that phrase).
But my gardening education started much earlier with Adam the
Gardener who was in the News of the World.
I would toddle off to our Land lady out on Llyne peninsular in Sarn
Bach where she would sit me on her knee and read Adam the Gardener to
me every Sunday, from just after the end of the war.
Ahhhhhhhhh!
Those were the days.

David Hill

Old 06-03-2010, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Roo wrote:
On 5 Mar, 21:00, Terry Fields wrote:

[...] In fact, I don't think there's anything wrong with the
presenters, just programme production.

That's right. But telly producers aren't interested in gardening: what
they like watching is people.

Oh, and it could've done with more music at times, which certainly
helps to raise the gardening spirit !

Heck, no! Not more gratuitous music chosen by somebody else: I find it
really irritating.

--
Mike.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message
from Terry Fields contains these words:

Take
seed-planting, as it featured prominently last night. There may be all
sorts of ways of planting seeds, but if a newcomer had bought or been
given a clutch of seeds, what general-purpose seed-planting routine
(that could be easily remembered) would be adequate for most of them?
It seems to me that there is plenty of specific advice on GW, but what
general routine is there that would be recalled and used, and would
stand a chance of giving useful results?

If, as you posted earlier, you have been gardening since Geoff
Hamilton's time then you surely know there is no
general purpose seed-planting routine. It is always specific, depending
on the type of plant, the size of seed, the time of year

Janet

Yes, I personally know that; but a newcomer might not. General advice
that works most of the time, which can easily be remembered, would be
of use to such a group. After all, one wants to attract people in the
hobby, not repel them with too much specificity.

It might not work all the time, but would give the newbie a base on
which to start. They can refine the technique in the decades that
follow.

TF

Old 07-03-2010, 12:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message
from Terry Fields contains these words:

Round here the fields (and gardens) are practically waterlogged, and a
few days of sun and wind have made little impact on that. It must be
the same over much of the country, but this just wasn't taken up by
the programme.

Why should it be?

GW, like gardening posters here, know that there is no "must be
the same conditions over the rest of the country".
We all have different weather as posts here constantly demonstrate

Janet

But soggy ground is soggy ground, weather or not one likes it.

Can't GW cope with a programme about soggy ground and how to deal with
it?

TF
Old 07-03-2010, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough wrote:

[...]

But you have just agreed, such general advice is meaningless.

Perhaps you'd like to re-read the context of what you think is the
relevant comment.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

Janet Baraclough wrote:

[...]

I read Janet's post it was clear enough to me. You contradicted yourself.

Then post the contradictory phrases, with context, and I'll tell you
where your mistake lies.

TF