Old 17-03-2010, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Last Year's Seeds

Hi all

Started planting up some veg (indoors in pots) last night.
Came across packets of last years runners and broad beans.
The beans had darkened somewhat and one or two were "fusty" (the fusty ones
were not used).
What's the chances of these germinating on a window sill in peat pots?

TIA

Phil

Old 17-03-2010, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/03/2010 15:17, TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Started planting up some veg (indoors in pots) last night.
Came across packets of last years runners and broad beans.
The beans had darkened somewhat and one or two were "fusty" (the fusty ones
were not used).
What's the chances of these germinating on a window sill in peat pots?

TIA

Phil

Runner beans keep for years provided they are kept in dry conditions.
We brought some streamline runner beans to France (picked off the mature
plants) we grew in England five years ago. They are still around 95% viable.

I've started keeping beans off the mature plants here now to use the
following year. Seems pointless buying them when you can use the seeds
from one year to the next with such success.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 17-03-2010, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote ...
Hi all

Started planting up some veg (indoors in pots) last night.
Came across packets of last years runners and broad beans.
The beans had darkened somewhat and one or two were "fusty" (the fusty
ones were not used).
What's the chances of these germinating on a window sill in peat pots?

That's a bit early isn't it? Won't plant our Beans until the beginning of
May for planting out Chelsea week.
Beans usually last for years if kept cold and dry, may dry out a bit and
need soaking in water for 24 hrs.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 17-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Registered User

Only one real way to find out!

You should give them a soak first, up to 4 hours in tepid water.
Old 17-03-2010, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"TheScullster" wrote ...
Hi all

Started planting up some veg (indoors in pots) last night.
Came across packets of last years runners and broad beans.
The beans had darkened somewhat and one or two were "fusty" (the fusty
ones were not used).
What's the chances of these germinating on a window sill in peat pots?

That's a bit early isn't it? Won't plant our Beans until the beginning of
May for planting out Chelsea week.
Beans usually last for years if kept cold and dry, may dry out a bit and
need soaking in water for 24 hrs.

I keep mine in the frig!

Alan

Old 17-03-2010, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all

Started planting up some veg (indoors in pots) last night.
Came across packets of last years runners and broad beans.
The beans had darkened somewhat and one or two were "fusty" (the fusty
ones were not used).
What's the chances of these germinating on a window sill in peat pots?

The chances are very high - bean seeds keep for ages - but it's far too
early to think about planting them.
They are quick germinators (is that a word??) but the seedlings grow fast
too - thus being too big for a windowsill situation - and will not stand
even one degree of frost.
My grandfather, who was a master gardener, planted his runner beans seeds
outside on May 8th every year even though he had a greenhouse he never
started them in there, or indoors. He said it would make them too soft.
I don't remember him every having a failure.
We certainly ate a lot of runner beans and when we got sick of them he would
salt them in jars for winter. We always had home grown runner beans with
our Christmas dinner.
No freezers.

Tina

Old 17-03-2010, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

"TheScullster" wrote in message
.uk...

Started planting up some veg (indoors in pots) last night.
Came across packets of last years runners and broad beans.
The beans had darkened somewhat and one or two were "fusty" (the fusty
ones were not used).
What's the chances of these germinating on a window sill in peat pots?

The chances are very high - bean seeds keep for ages - but it's far too
early to think about planting them.
They are quick germinators (is that a word??) but the seedlings grow fast
too - thus being too big for a windowsill situation - and will not stand
even one degree of frost.

Only the runners. Broad beans should be planted now.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-03-2010, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

TheScullster wrote:
Started planting up some veg (indoors in pots) last night.
Came across packets of last years runners and broad beans.
The beans had darkened somewhat and one or two were "fusty" (the fusty ones
were not used).
What's the chances of these germinating on a window sill in peat pots?

Beans are very hardy (not so little!) seeds. I'm still using a packet of
Painted Lady runner beans that my neighbour gave me when we moved in. They
went out of date in 1998.
Old 17-03-2010, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Christina Websell wrote:
My grandfather, who was a master gardener, planted his runner beans seeds
outside on May 8th every year even though he had a greenhouse he never
started them in there, or indoors. He said it would make them too soft.
I don't remember him every having a failure.

I think he may have been right. I started mine in the greenhouse last year
for the first time and I had my worst crop ever. Despite my dad putting a
proper bean trench under at least half of them, which we haven't bothered
with previously.

We certainly ate a lot of runner beans and when we got sick of them he would
salt them in jars for winter. We always had home grown runner beans with
our Christmas dinner.

Ooh, how does the salted jars work? Whole bean pods or just the beans?
Blanched first? How much salt? And then how do you serve?
Old 17-03-2010, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

We certainly ate a lot of runner beans and when we got sick of them he would
salt them in jars for winter. We always had home grown runner beans with
our Christmas dinner.

Ooh, how does the salted jars work? Whole bean pods or just the beans?
Blanched first? How much salt? And then how do you serve?

You string them, slice them (you could/can? buy special devices)
and layer them with a LOT of salt. You then take them out, soak
them in cold water, throw it away, and they are STILL disgustingly
salty. Don't bother.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 17-03-2010, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
In article , wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

We certainly ate a lot of runner beans and when we got sick of them he
would
salt them in jars for winter. We always had home grown runner beans
with
our Christmas dinner.

Ooh, how does the salted jars work? Whole bean pods or just the beans?
Blanched first? How much salt? And then how do you serve?

You string them, slice them (you could/can? buy special devices)
and layer them with a LOT of salt. You then take them out, soak
them in cold water, throw it away, and they are STILL disgustingly
salty. Don't bother.

But they weren't - they were like almost like fresh.

Old 17-03-2010, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17 Mar, 20:17, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
wrote in message

In article , wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

We certainly ate a lot of runner beans and when we got sick of them he
would
salt them in jars for winter. *We always had home grown runner beans
with
our Christmas dinner.

Ooh, how does the salted jars work? *Whole bean pods or just the beans?
Blanched first? *How much salt? *And then how do you serve?

You string them, slice them (you could/can? buy special devices)
and layer them with a LOT of salt. *You then take them out, soak
them in cold water, throw it away, and they are STILL disgustingly
salty. *Don't bother.

But they weren't - they were like almost like fresh.

Yes, I remember my parents having Kilner jars full of salted runner
beans lined up on a shelf in the garage during the late 50s/early 60s
winters. I dont like a lot of salt, but I dont remember the beans
being really salty.

I dont think they used ordinary table salt, I seem to remember it
being bought in blocks. Maybe that makes a difference?
Old 17-03-2010, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "TheScullster" contains these words:

Hi all

Started planting up some veg (indoors in pots) last night.
Came across packets of last years runners and broad beans.
The beans had darkened somewhat and one or two were "fusty" (the fusty ones
were not used).
What's the chances of these germinating on a window sill in peat pots?

TIA

Phil

I have some broad bean seeds from 2006, when we were away and they did
not get picked and eaten!

Each year I think that I need to buy some new ones, but the old seed
just keeps coming.

Planted a tray of 2 dozen last week, and as of today, 23 have
germinated, the other on looks as if it will - the hump of soil hasn't
broken yet!

Roger T
Old 18-03-2010, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote

Hi all

Started planting up some veg (indoors in pots) last night.
Came across packets of last years runners and broad beans.
The beans had darkened somewhat and one or two were "fusty" (the fusty
ones were not used).
What's the chances of these germinating on a window sill in peat pots?

TIA

Thanks to all respondents
I'll see what germinates and work from there!
I too remember my grandmother having jars of salted runners put away for
winter use.
I seem to remember they tasted a little different, but not particularly
salty IIRC.

Phil