Old 16-04-2010, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Volcanic Dust

In article ,
hugh wrote:

Most of this country (perhaps all) is short of fluorides. If the
ash is dense enough here to cause toxicity, we will have a global
winter on our hands and more serious things to worry about. With
the possible exception of Shetland and the VERY far north.

Have some of our water - lot's in there.

Why do you think that it's deliberately added to most water supplies
in the UK? Because we already have enough of it? Try again.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-04-2010, 03:56 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
Indeed, but in this instance we neither have control over what's in the dust nor how much lands, just as the Icelanders didn't in 1970 (it was that year I now recall that the fluoride was expelled not 1963). It shouldn't necessarily be regarded as "excellent fertiliser".
In developed economies, the trace elements needed by agriculture can easily and relatively cheaply be provided by man if they are not being sourced from dust blowing from volcanoes and deserts. Usually only tiny amounts are needed. But, as noted in Jared Diamond's book "Collapse", more primitive societies attempting to farm lands not so benefiting suffered from large reductions in soil fertility once they had used up the soil's initial endowments of trace elements. Dust blown off deserts and volcanoes also affects the fertility of oceans, and here man has not so far been as successful in substituting for nature, as exhibited by some recent experiments in deliberate ocean fertilisation.

The effect of volcanoes does seem to depend upon exactly what type they are and at what latitude. Whilst some parts of the world find volcanic soils exceedingly naturally fertile, and are particularly sought after for growing coffee for example, the effect of volcanism in Iceland has been to kill off vegetation and allow soils to be blown away. Iceland's volcanoes are in general not of a common type.
Old 16-04-2010, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:

Most of this country (perhaps all) is short of fluorides. If the
ash is dense enough here to cause toxicity, we will have a global
winter on our hands and more serious things to worry about. With
the possible exception of Shetland and the VERY far north.

Have some of our water - lot's in there.

Why do you think that it's deliberately added to most water supplies
in the UK?

I don't.

I live and learn. Still, my main point was correct :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 16-04-2010, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from contains these words:

In article ,
hugh wrote:

Most of this country (perhaps all) is short of fluorides. If the
ash is dense enough here to cause toxicity, we will have a global
winter on our hands and more serious things to worry about. With
the possible exception of Shetland and the VERY far north.

Have some of our water - lot's in there.

Why do you think that it's deliberately added to most water supplies
in the UK?

I don't.

Because we already have enough of it? Try again

http://www.dentalhealth.org.uk/faqs/...p?LeafletID=17

"only a few places (Hartlepool in the North East of England , and parts
of Essex) have enough natural fluoride to benefit dental health.
Elsewhere it is added to only around 10% of the UK population's water
supply - mainly in the West Midlands and the North East."

http://www.ciwem.org/policy/policies/fluoridation.asp

"Existing Arrangements (UK)

Since the 1960s, over 5 million people (about 10% of the UK population)
have received artificially fluoridated water, mainly in the Midlands,
north-east and eastern parts of England.
1. About half a million people in the UK receive water which is
naturally fluoridated at, or about, the optimum level of one part per
million. A further one million people receive water which is naturally
fluoridated at a lower level, but which still confers some dental
benefit. These areas are generally found in a band running down the
eastern side of the country, from Hartlepool in the north down to parts
of Essex.
2. About 5 million people receive water where the fluoride content has
been artificially increased to a level of one part per million. Major
schemes are in operation in Birmingham and throughout the West Midlands,
and also in Tyneside."

Janet

And also Cheshire.

It is enforced medication without choice. If people didn't feed their
kids such obnoxious confectionery there would be no need for it.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old 16-04-2010, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
hugh wrote:

It is enforced medication without choice. If people didn't feed their
kids such obnoxious confectionery there would be no need for it.

You're wrong.

Most people of my age have bad teeth, and the lack of fluorides was
one of the main causes. Many of us had virtually no access to
sweets. The introduction to fluorine to toothpaste (yes, I got
that wrong) caused a major improvement.

Old 16-04-2010, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes

hugh wrote:

[...]

but they do and there is.

But IMO that does not justify inflicting it on the rest of us against
our will.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old 17-04-2010, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
hugh wrote:

It is enforced medication without choice. If people didn't feed their
kids such obnoxious confectionery there would be no need for it.

You're wrong.

Most people of my age have bad teeth, and the lack of fluorides was
one of the main causes. Many of us had virtually no access to
sweets. The introduction to fluorine to toothpaste (yes, I got
that wrong) caused a major improvement.

Not knowing what age you are I can't really respond. Did you not have
access to anything containing sugar?

In my 60s. And effectively not.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 17-04-2010, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

It's reached Cambridge.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-04-2010, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 13:05:11 +0100 (BST), wrote:

My wife's car was covered in it this morning.
Nasty greyish-black stuff. Darted straight off to the car-wash, so
she did.
SE Wales

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 17-04-2010, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Baraclough
wrote
The message
from hugh ] contains these words:

It is enforced medication without choice.

I agree completely. How pointless, to mass-medicate an unmeasured
dose of something
which can do so much harm in overdose (to teeth, bones and brains).

http://www.voice.buz.org/mailarchive/msg00026.html
http://www.wddty.com/fluoride-lowering-iq-s.html

Until around age 12 when their second teeth came through, our kids had
a daily drop or tiny tablet of paediatric fluoride
dosage, available from baby clinics. They're in their 30's and all have
perfect teeth, no caries or fillings.

Many people of a certain age have a mouth full of fillings because NHS
dentists were paid on the number of fillings they performed. As a
result, on every dentist visit a filling was required irrespective of
any problem with the teeth.

Is the improvement in dental health in more recent years due to
additives in the water or due to the fraudulent activity in the dental
profession being curtailed?

--
Alan
Old 17-04-2010, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Alan wrote:

Many people of a certain age have a mouth full of fillings because NHS
dentists were paid on the number of fillings they performed. As a
result, on every dentist visit a filling was required irrespective of
any problem with the teeth.

That is a commonly repeated statement but, as far as I know, has
no basis in fact. A lot of the time, my friends and relatives
had no more than a checkup - but they had had a less problematic
childhood.

Is the improvement in dental health in more recent years due to
additives in the water or due to the fraudulent activity in the dental
profession being curtailed?

As has been pointed out, it's not the water, but the evidence is
that additional fluoride is a major factor.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-04-2010, 01:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Alan wrote:
Many people of a certain age have a mouth full of fillings because NHS
dentists were paid on the number of fillings they performed. As a
result, on every dentist visit a filling was required irrespective of
any problem with the teeth.

That may explain why I have all my baby teeth filled, but haven't had a
filling caused by anything other than broken teeth due to weakness caused by
previous fillings since I went to uni.

:-(

Volcanic rock? BruceM Orchids 15 01-12-2007 05:13 PM
Volcanic orchid [Summer1964] ID help? C. Nick Kruzer Orchids 12 27-06-2006 07:04 AM
Anyone know of a source of truckloads of crushed volcanic rock? [email protected] Permaculture 3 08-11-2005 04:42 PM
Volcanic Lava Rock GrlIntrpted Orchids 22 01-04-2004 06:53 PM
Volcanic rock as potting material gal Orchids 7 22-03-2003 07:20 PM